Under Achiving QMJHL 2005 Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

QMJHLguru

Dec 11, 2004
Halifax
Here is a look at who i think are the top 10 biggest under achievers outside the top 10. Who where excepted to make some noise this year in the QMJHL.

1. Chad Denny, D (Lewiston MAINEiacs)
- CSB seems to like him, but truthfully he is AWFUL... His defensive game is mediocre... skating poor... and not to mention he appears slighty out of shape.

2. Francois Guerette-Charland, RW (Victoriaville Tirges)
- Injury trubles have kept him back from appearing on most people top 20 lists. and his offensive slump sence returing is not helping his cause.

3. Romy Elayoubi, RW (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
- wow, what can be said about this guy... simply has not lived up to expectations... appears to have no desire to play... and has been sitting in the stands for quite sometime now in Chicoutimi.

4. Kenzie Sheppard, LW (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Was considered to be a scoring, grinder type... but the offensive and toughness have not showed up this season with Kenzie in Halifax... in and out of the lineup his stock has taking a big dip.

5. Justin Saulnier, C (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Much like Kenzie Sheppard... Though the physical game has been there this season... but his offensive output and 3rd-4th duty's are keeping him back.

6. Vladimir Kubus, C (Cape Breton Screaming Eagles)
- Has just had a slow time adjusting to the North American game... the skill that was excepted is just not showing... and being overlooked in 2004 its likely he'll once again gain no attention from the NHL in 2005.

7. Michael Korenko, D (Lewiston MAINEiacs)
- Plays to soft to be considered a defensive prospect... has good size... but needs to pick up alot of the loose ends of his game to gain attention from NHL scouts.

8. Alexandre Picard-Hopper, LW (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)
- There is no doubt he has offensive skills... but is skating is well below being eye popping for a smaller guy... he'll need a rocket booster in his feet by draft day.

9. Francis Bolduc, D (Rimouski Oceanic)
- Big... is about all its takes to describe Francis... as his defensive awearness is at the bottom of the bin along with most the aspects of the game it takes to be a solid defender at the next level.

10. Jean-Francois Brault, D (Halifax Mooseheads)
- A big physical defencemen... seemed to have alot of promise coming into the season.. but a preseason leg injury will keep him out of the lineup untill late January and most likely keep him off the draft charts.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
QMJHLguru said:
Here is a look at who i think are the top 10 biggest under achievers outside the top 10. Who where excepted to make some noise this year in the QMJHL.

1. Chad Denny, D (Lewiston MAINEiacs)
- CSB seems to like him, but truthfully he is AWFUL... His defensive game is mediocre... skating poor... and not to mention he appears slighty out of shape.

2. Francois Guerette-Charland, RW (Victoriaville Tirges)
- Injury trubles have kept him back from appearing on most people top 20 lists. and his offensive slump sence returing is not helping his cause.

3. Romy Elayoubi, RW (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
- wow, what can be said about this guy... simply has not lived up to expectations... appears to have no desire to play... and has been sitting in the stands for quite sometime now in Chicoutimi.

4. Kenzie Sheppard, LW (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Was considered to be a scoring, grinder type... but the offensive and toughness have not showed up this season with Kenzie in Halifax... in and out of the lineup his stock has taking a big dip.

5. Justin Saulnier, C (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Much like Kenzie Sheppard... Though the physical game has been there this season... but his offensive output and 3rd-4th duty's are keeping him back.

6. Vladimir Kubus, C (Cape Breton Screaming Eagles)
- Has just had a slow time adjusting to the North American game... the skill that was excepted is just not showing... and being overlooked in 2004 its likely he'll once again gain no attention from the NHL in 2005.

7. Michael Korenko, D (Lewiston MAINEiacs)
- Plays to soft to be considered a defensive prospect... has good size... but needs to pick up alot of the loose ends of his game to gain attention from NHL scouts.

8. Alexandre Picard-Hopper, LW (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)
- There is no doubt he has offensive skills... but is skating is well below being eye popping for a smaller guy... he'll need a rocket booster in his feet by draft day.

9. Francis Bolduc, D (Rimouski Oceanic)
- Big... is about all its takes to describe Francis... as his defensive awearness is at the bottom of the bin along with most the aspects of the game it takes to be a solid defender at the next level.

10. Jean-Francois Brault, D (Halifax Mooseheads)
- A big physical defencemen... seemed to have alot of promise coming into the season.. but a preseason leg injury will keep him out of the lineup untill late January and most likely keep him off the draft charts.

I dont think Denny should be there. If anything he improved his stock since Sept.

Charland was hurt, he will fly up the charts after xmas.

Elayoubi was so predictable. I think most people could have told you he would have been undrafted after last year. He has no desire or work ethic. He got by on skills up until QMJHL.

Sheppard and Saulnier were getting 2nd line ice last year and people figured they would contine to but they are both 4th line players on Halifax. The depth has really hurt these two. I feel that both have improved leaps and bounds from last year but it hasnt shown up on the score sheet.

Picard-Hooper isnt really an under-achiever...he just shouldnt be ranked high because he is small and slow. He has come a long way sizne last year in Midget and i dont think he would be considered an under-achiever. More the other way.

Brault has been hurt for a while, only played 8 games.

I think other under-achievers could be:

Gennady Churilov - not the player he was advertised to be.

Andrew Andricopolous - After a wicked 16 year old season he has been playing shakey but has started to show flashes.

Ryan Mior - no need to explain this.

Tyler Hawes - expected much more offense.

Marc-Andre Doirion - looked amazing last year at 16, hasnt really developed as expected.

And cant forget Egor Zharkov, but he left.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
I disagree on Denny.

Last year I had the same views, but his play has vastly improved this season from what I have seen, especially defensively.

I think he should be a day 1 pick, and I see him as a guy that can really rise up the charts with a good year.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Hooper is overachieving big time. Last year in CCL, he was behind players like Paré, Bégin, Breault and so forth. I don't think anyone expected him to be a ppg player in the Q this year. Charland has been a big disappointment thus far, he was slated as a late first- second rounder pick after last season and now I don't think he'll be chosen on day 1, unless he improves quick and starts scoring. Elayoubi...what a gip, his heart wasn't in it after all, shame 'cause his skills were on par with Crosby (yes Crosby!) at the age of 13-14, whatever happened, what a waste, my guess is he'll quit and join the CIS in a couple of years.... Sheppard and Saulnier are all underachieving, especially Kenzie after such a solid rookie season. Denny is fat.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leachmeister2000 said:
Hooper is overachieving big time. Last year in CCL, he was behind players like Paré, Bégin, Breault and so forth. I don't think anyone expected him to be a ppg player in the Q this year. Charland has been a big disappointment thus far, he was slated as a late first- second rounder pick after last season and now I don't think he'll be chosen on day 1, unless he improves quick and starts scoring. Elayoubi...what a gip, his heart wasn't in it after all, shame 'cause his skills were on par with Crosby (yes Crosby!) at the age of 13-14, whatever happened, what a waste, my guess is he'll quit and join the CIS in a couple of years.... Sheppard and Saulnier are all underachieving, especially Kenzie after such a solid rookie season. Denny is fat.

Denny isnt fat. Sure he has some baby fat on him but he is still VERY mobile, just imagine when he turns some of that baby-fat into Muscle. He is better than Francois Bolduc at this point.

Elayoubi had the same skills as Crosby when they were 13 and 14 BUT one major difference is Crosby weight trained and is now built like a tank and is also a pit bull. Elayoubi is slight in size and doesnt work through checks. Also the skating is night and day difference between the 2.

Kenzie has actually improved a lot over the summer. He is a better skater, better agility, better commitment to defense and isnt taking dumb penalties. Hard to produce with 6 minutes of icetime a game.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Someone said Denny has bad skating if you watched him in Lewiston the Le Colisee ice surface is terrible. So maybe thats why I heard last night people were falling down 4 no reason. Denny has hard shot and has had control problems with the slap shot. He did get a goal last night.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Another thing with Michael Korenko he was from the import draft. He is getting adjusted with North American style of play. Maybe some team will take him but he will have a break through year next year. With Jonathan Paiement most likely gone he will be focused more in the offense.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Denny isnt fat. Sure he has some baby fat on him but he is still VERY mobile, just imagine when he turns some of that baby-fat into Muscle. He is better than Francois Bolduc at this point.

Elayoubi had the same skills as Crosby when they were 13 and 14 BUT one major difference is Crosby weight trained and is now built like a tank and is also a pit bull. Elayoubi is slight in size and doesnt work through checks. Also the skating is night and day difference between the 2.

Kenzie has actually improved a lot over the summer. He is a better skater, better agility, better commitment to defense and isnt taking dumb penalties. Hard to produce with 6 minutes of icetime a game.

Look at Denny's old Lewiston photo on their website, there's no denying he's far gone chubby. Anyway, you can be fat and still be mobile, just ask Medvedev.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leachmeister2000 said:
Look at Denny's old Lewiston photo on their website, there's no denying he's far gone chubby. Anyway, you can be fat and still be mobile, just ask Medvedev.

I dont think he is fat, but yes chubby :) That being said so was Bernier and he went 17th overall.

The scary thing about Denny is that if he ever trims up and bulks up a bit with muscle training he could be that much better.

QMJHLguru

Dec 11, 2004
Halifax
La-La-Laprise said:
Ryan Mior - no need to explain this.

Rumer has it that Ryan Mior as left PEI over the past day or two demanding a trade.. Sure he'll get his wish... There are a few teams out there could use a talented #1 goalie who can step in and get them some wins...

sheila1121

Dec 24, 2004
Chad Denny

Chad Denny is not fat---if you were talking about him last year--he'd definitely be in the "chubby" league. He has, however, taken off about 12 pounds of baby fat. He's still growing---he grew almost an inch during the summer and worked hard at the gym to get rid of the "love handles" around his mid section. And as far as his skating ---are you serious--he's an excellent skater.
And the person who said the ice surface in Lewiston is the worst in the league is absolutely right---watch any game here and you'll see more players falling here than anywhere else in the Q.

QMJHLguru

Dec 11, 2004
Halifax
sheila1121 said:
Chad Denny is not fat---if you were talking about him last year--he'd definitely be in the "chubby" league. He has, however, taken off about 12 pounds of baby fat. He's still growing---he grew almost an inch during the summer and worked hard at the gym to get rid of the "love handles" around his mid section. And as far as his skating ---are you serious--he's an excellent skater.
And the person who said the ice surface in Lewiston is the worst in the league is absolutely right---watch any game here and you'll see more players falling here than anywhere else in the Q.
Miss or Mrs Denny, is that you ? :lol

Anyone who has seen Denny, can tell you he has more trubles with his skating then just in Lewiston... he's SLOW, no HUSLE... lacks Defensive Awearness... ok me may not be "CHUBBY" anymore, but he still have NO SKILL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad