• Joel Daccord (G)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's have a bit of fun and change our minds since most of our best players got sold. Let's rank the young guys that have a chance to stick around through this "rebuild". Let's vote by who we think end up the best "when all is said and done". All factors have to be taken into account (skill, skating, hockey sense, potential, certainty, leadership, physicality, etc)

Ask yourself this question :

Who among this pool of players would I draft BPA? It's basically an organizational RE-DRAFT of all players under 25 y/o. Who are our most important assets, in order?

Under 25 y/o Sens Players Ranking

1- Thomas Chabot (D) 91.7%
2- Brady Tkachuk (LW) 37.3%

3- Erik Brännström (D) 70.8%
4- Drake Batherson (RW) 70.8%

5- Colin White (C/RW) 48.1 %
6- Logan Brown (C) 67.4%
7- Christian Wolanin (D) 61.2% (Tie-Breaker)
8- Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 40.6%
9- Josh Norris (C) 34.1%
10-

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not sure what's wrong... I tried to edit the question into "Who will be the 10th best among Sens players under 25 y/o?". I saved but it didn't work for some reason.

Can a Mod fix this?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone remember what caused Tierney to go 55th overall in 2012? Not that it was a bad pick.... in fact it was a good one.... but he had only scored 41pts in 84 games with London (reg + playoffs) and its not like his skating or defensive play or athleticism are better than average... even if we're being generous...

Did SJ just identify a player with smarts and skills who wasnt getting much opportunity because he was in London, and that's all there is to it? Or was he seen as more of a two-way player in jr?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
GEtting tougher now. Went with Formenton

Nice list of top players

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Paul based on what he's been doing down in the Bell lately. He's been dominating.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
New tier starting here IMO

Note : 1st tier+ would be superstars like Chara, Alfredsson, Karlsson.

1st tier (potential stars, ex : Spezza, Hoffman, Stone, Ryan (prime))

Thomas Chabot
Brady Tkachuk
Erik Brännström
Drake Batherson
Logan Brown

2nd tier (not stars but still impact players, ex : Fisher, Phillips)

Colin White
Christian Wolanin
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Josh Norris

3rd tier (good players, potential undetermined. Ex : Vermette, Pageau, Foligno)

Vitali Abramov
Max Veronneau
Alex Formenton
Rudolfs Balcers
Filip Chlapik
Anthony Duclair
Chris Tierney
Christian Jaros
Joel Daccord
Filip Gustavsson

4th tier (depth/role players, could potentially rise)

Jonathan Davidsson
Angus Crookshank
Jonny Tychonick
Maxime Lajoie
Marcus Högberg (see him as a backup)
Nick Paul (see him as a bottom-6 player)
Ben Harpur (don't see more upside than a 6th-7th D)
Kevin Mandolese (still very raw but like his potential)

5th tier :

Unlikely NHLers but still have a chance like Klimchuk, Gruden, Nurmi, Kelly, Luchuk, Novak, Beaudin, Englund, Sturtz

6th tier :

No chance barring a miracle like Loheit, Gendron, Burgess, Ahl

Note : some guys are in lower tiers than they could be because they need more time to prove themselves. Example, Crookshank and/or Tychonick could potentially rise next year. Gruden or Novak too. Like some guys could regress too.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Concerning Tierney... It's great what he has done this year but you have to take context in consideration. On most teams he would have been buried behind the top-6, here he got a great opportunity. He has the 5th highest TOI/GP among forwards, just behind Pageau who missed half of the season (he had even more before JG came back)

Hopefully the Sens sell high next TD, the great thing here is that he'll still be RFA which raises his value even more. Why not keep him? Because I think all these guys will be better and should get TOI over him :

Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson-Norris-White

Then you have Formenton, Duclair, Abramov, Balcers, Pageau, Veronneau, Chlapik, Davidsson and Crookshank (and Paul + new drafted prospects?) who will have to battle for the 4 remaining spots in the Top-9...

There's a MASSIVE logjam coming up.

Paul based on what he's been doing down in the Bell lately. He's been dominating.

He just turned 24 y/o. I believe he will be a NHL player (but can't see him be more than a bottom-6 player) but maybe not in Ottawa. A bit like Chiasson, needs time to prove himself.

That being said, there's still several guys on this list who will be better. Heck, Max Veronneau has shown more in 4 games, Balcers and Jaros too. Tierney obviously. Formenton will undoubtedly be better and the list goes on. It's really not the time to vote Paul.

hogberg looks like our goalie of the future rn, and is still an ahl rookie

He will be 25 y/o in November though, not that age is the most important thing for a goalie but that's kind of old to finally establish himself in the AHL. I like him and think he could be a good back-up but not sure about starting potential. There's still several guys on the list who will end up better players. Still too early to vote a goalie but when the time comes, my vote goes to Daccord (and Gustvasson) before Hogberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hesitated between Formenton and Duclair, and went with Duclair. Only problem is that I don't think our org likes Duclair as much as Formenton, and probably won't give him enough opportunity to prove himself. After his 5th team he might disappear from the NHL altogether and it will be a great waste. Kind of like with Da Costa.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A bit of a tangent: I went with Tierney, but long term I think our best option is to trade him and Pageau for futures. With Brown and White, there isn't much room in the top 6, and Norris looks like a strong option to fill that 3rd line center position in 3 years. Tierney could get a solid return as a 24 year old 50 pts center. Pageau to me is a better 3rd line center option to bridge us till Norris is ready and because he's used mostly in a shutdown role he probably wouldn't get as much in a trade.

Tierney is a great middle 6 offensive center but I don't see him ever being a true 2nd line guy. He has a higher likelyhood of being the best player of the guys left, I just think we'd be wise to move him

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Wow, Formenton completely off the map. Hoping he has an exceptional playoffs to remind Sens fans how good he is. And that he has played games in the last 2 years

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
From OgieO in the last thread

Interesting. We've got a guy about to score 50 points in the NHL this year and he's not even close to winning the vote for 9th best under 25. Looks unlikely to be top 10 by the looks of it. I'm not even saying it's wrong, in fact I think I agree with it. It's just we

Well, we just traded Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, Matt Duchene, Ryan Dzingel and Mark Stone in the last 6 months, I HOPE we have 10 guys better than Chris freaking Tierney in the system...

A bit of a tangent: I went with Tierney, but long term I think our best option is to trade him and Pageau for futures. With Brown and White, there isn't much room in the top 6, and Norris looks like a strong option to fill that 3rd line center position in 3 years. Tierney could get a solid return as a 24 year old 50 pts center. Pageau to me is a better 3rd line center option to bridge us till Norris is ready and because he's used mostly in a shutdown role he probably wouldn't get as much in a trade.

Tierney is a great middle 6 offensive center but I don't see him ever being a true 2nd line guy. He has a higher likelyhood of being the best player of the guys left, I just think we'd be wise to move him

That's why we have to have more than 5 forwards who end up better than him (so far only forwards voted have been Tkachuk, Batherson, White, Brown and Norris)

Abramov, Duclair, Veronneau, Balcers, Chlapik, Formenton, Crookshank, Davidsson all have a decent chance to.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You know when you've voted a player the last couple of rounds and it feels like you cant/shouldn't change your vote now?

Yeah...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
From OgieO in the last thread

Well, we just traded Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, Matt Duchene, Ryan Dzingel and Mark Stone in the last 6 months, I HOPE we have 10 guys better than Chris freaking Tierney in the system...

That's why we have to have more than 5 forwards who end up better than him (so far only forwards voted have been Tkachuk, Batherson, White, Brown and Norris)

Abramov, Duclair, Veronneau, Balcers, Chlapik, Formenton, Crookshank, Davidsson all have a decent chance to.
Is Tierney better than Duclair?

Since Duclair has joined the team he's got 4+4 in 13 games 32 shots, ATOI 13:42 and +1. Tierney has 3+3 in 12 games, 19 shots, -7 and ATOI of 16:57.

The eye test also heavily favours Duclair in my mind. Tierney shouldn't be in contention for this spot.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He just turned 24 y/o. I believe he will be a NHL player (but can't see him be more than a bottom-6 player) but maybe not in Ottawa. A bit like Chiasson, needs time to prove himself.

That being said, there's still several guys on this list who will be better. Heck, Max Veronneau has shown more in 4 games, Balcers and Jaros too. Tierney obviously. Formenton will undoubtedly be better and the list goes on. It's really not the time to vote Paul.
I think you're wrong about Paul. He's over a point a game in Belleville and he looks better than brown most nights lately. A late bloomer for sure, but he's progressed substantially this season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hesitated between Formenton and Duclair, and went with Duclair. Only problem is that I don't think our org likes Duclair as much as Formenton, and probably won't give him enough opportunity to prove himself. After his 5th team he might disappear from the NHL altogether and it will be a great waste. Kind of like with Da Costa.

Duclair seems to be similar to Dzingle. I hope he gets signed as he has shown me enough to want him on the team. Having him, Formenton and Veronneau would add a lot of speed to the roster.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Very surprised Balcers is getting no mentions here. Formenton is fast, but man Balcers is smart and good. He plays well all around the ice, the coach trusts him. He has a wicked shot and
good vision.

Duclair certainly looking good as well but doubtful he'll keep it up

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Is Tierney better than Duclair?

Since Duclair has joined the team he's got 4+4 in 13 games 32 shots, ATOI 13:42 and +1. Tierney has 3+3 in 12 games, 19 shots, -7 and ATOI of 16:57.

The eye test also heavily favours Duclair in my mind. Tierney shouldn't be in contention for this spot.

Duclair has better offensive tools that's for sure. It's a shame that he is not a bonafide top-6 forward. Maybe it has been a lack of dedication and/or maturity but he is still 23 y/o, not too late to break out and establish himself. The guy needs the right coaching and patience.

I think you're wrong about Paul. He's over a point a game in Belleville and he looks better than brown most nights lately. A late bloomer for sure, but he's progressed substantially this season.

I could definitely be wrong, it's all opinions and projections but I maintain the position that I'd be very very surprised to see Paul end up more than a bottom-6 forward. Contrary to many opinions, I don't think it's not pejorative at all, you need to be freaking good to be a bottom-6 forward in the NHL.

Very surprised Balcers is getting no mentions here. Formenton is fast, but man Balcers is smart and good. He plays well all around the ice, the coach trusts him. He has a wicked shot and
good vision.

Yeah, I'm kinda conflicted. Balcers, Duclair, Abramov are probably my next 3 votes. But it's getting very hard for a while because many of these guys are close in terms of potential and ability.

Changed my vote to Balcers actually.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Jaros played against Macdavid all night last night and did a good job, he’s already way to far down the list. This kid is a Kevin Bieksa in the making.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Tierney and Pageau carry the pk and are only 24 and 26 respectivelly I really dont think trading them for futures is a good idea they are the only real 'veterans' that play the game two way above the NHL average and can take the hard minutes against the other teams top players. You need a mix of youth and veterans to grow together these are the only older forwards that they should be holding on to, they both have experience in the playoffs and set a good example.

Norris along with Formenton should play the full season in the AHL next year so at best they play with the big club the following season. I dont know if Brown is ready next season either, next year the goal should be to finish last for Lafrennier or Byfield.

I really dont see the rush in having all these young players play next season. You made a good point about trading older players for futures but I dont think thats Tierney and Pageau, the sens should be looking for guys on one and two year deals to fill spots next season in elevated roles then trade them for futures.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
good vision.

Initially I saw some things I liked in Balcers; however, I have noticed that he sometimes over-commits on defense and the opponent can get by him. That could be changed with coaching and experience. Worth giving a chance to see if he can develop into an NHL player.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tierney and Pageau carry the pk and are only 24 and 26 respectivelly I really dont think trading them for futures is a good idea they are the only real 'veterans' that play the game two way above the NHL average and can take the hard minutes against the other teams top players. You need a mix of youth and veterans to grow together these are the only older forwards that they should be holding on to, they both have experience in the playoffs and set a good example.

Norris along with Formenton should play the full season in the AHL next year so at best they play with the big club the following season. I dont know if Brown is ready next season either, next year the goal should be to finish last for Lafrennier or Byfield.

I really dont see the rush in having all these young players play next season. You made a good point about trading older players for futures but I dont think thats Tierney and Pageau, the sens should be looking for guys on one and two year deals to fill spots next season in elevated roles then trade them for futures.

My thought is trade one soonish, and the other down the road, not both right away. The reality is we have Brown and White that should be our long term top 6 centers, and Norris could be ready to be the 3rd line center in a couple years.

So, lets say by the traded deadline next year Brown has solidified himself as a top 6 center along with White, we then trade Tierney because I think he'd get decent value and would see his value drop if his role is reduced to 3rd liner. Pageau sticks around. Then Norris comes in the next year and can push for the 3rd line center role. Once he's ready, we can move Pageau, that might be at then deadline in 2020-21, or maybe 2021-22. Could also be never, who knows.

The point though is that we use those two to upgrade where we need help; move them some prospect wingers or maybe help at RD. In 3 or 4 years time, we could have something like this:

Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson
Abramov-White-Balcers
Duclair-Norris-Veronneau
Formenton-Chlapik-Davidsson?

Chabot-Jaros
Brannstrom-Bernard-Docker
Wolanin-DeMelo?

We'll likely have a pretty good chance the CBJ is ready by then to push somebody down the depth chart, and we'll like find another guy out of the pile of picks we have and whatever return we get for Tierney soonish and Pageau when Norris hopefully pushes him for a spot.

In the end though, it's reliant on Brown becoming a top line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad