Movies: Uncut Gems

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
That’s a fair point. Again, I’ll say that on a second viewing it’s not as noticeable or annoying/distracting.

I have a kid, so that is the first grown up movie I have seen in the theater in ages. Zero chance of seeing it again until it streams. :laugh: Did you watch both times on the big screen?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I have a kid, so that is the first grown up movie I have seen in the theater in ages. Zero chance of seeing it again until it streams. :laugh: Did you watch both times on the big screen?

Haha, I totally get that. Surprised you were even able to get one viewing in! :laugh:

I did see it twice on the big screen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched it over the weekend and wrote a review in the Last Movie You Watched thread. I hated it for the same reasons that so many others do: it's loud, vulgar and chaotic, the soundtrack is overbearing, none of the characters are likable or worthy of sympathy, it's too long and so on. It seems like everyone agrees that it's very anxiety inducing (by making you feel the stress that the main character is experiencing) and either loves that about it or hates that about it. If that kind of thing engrosses you and puts you on the edge of your seat, the movie may be right up your alley, but if it sounds like it would irritate you or make you uncomfortable, it's probably best that you skip it.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I watched it over the weekend and wrote a review in the Last Movie You Watched thread. I hated it for the same reasons that so many others do: it's loud, vulgar and chaotic, the soundtrack is overbearing, none of the characters are likable or worthy of sympathy, it's too long and so on. It seems like everyone who watches it agrees that it's very anxiety inducing and is split into either the camp that loves that about it or hates that about it. If that kind of thing puts you on the edge of your seat, the movie may be right up your alley, but if it sounds like it would irritate you or make you uncomfortable, it's probably best that you skip it.
Did you see Good Time? All those descriptions sound like their last movie they made. It's something I loved although haven't been able to check this one out yet.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Did you see Good Time? All those descriptions sound like their last movie they made. It's something I loved although haven't been able to check this one out yet.

No, I haven't seen Good Time. I wasn't going to, but I see now that it has much higher of an audience score than Uncut Gems (81% vs 51%), so maybe I'll check it out. There are several audience reviews of Uncut Gems from people who really liked Good Time and were quite disappointed in Uncut Gems, so maybe the generalization that I just made isn't foolproof. Perhaps it's possible to put all of those things into a movie in a way that isn't as polarizing.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I found it tough slogging through the first part of the anxiety driven flick but I realized the film was intended to be that way. So I Zen'd out and dissociated from the characters and just let it ride for the second half. I enjoyed the second half better. I ended up liking it at the end (once I gave up caring). You either love this or hate it and I can understand both sides.

Like I said, I ended up liking it at the end but it was a difficult film to enjoy. It was interesting to see the inside workings of the NY diamond industry.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
No, I haven't seen Good Time. I wasn't going to, but I see now that it has much higher of an audience score than Uncut Gems (81% vs 51%), so maybe I'll check it out. There are several audience reviews of Uncut Gems from people who really liked Good Time and were quite disappointed in Uncut Gems, so maybe the generalization that I just made isn't foolproof. Perhaps it's possible to put all of those things into a movie in a way that isn't as polarizing.
I just think what you're describing just sounds a lot like it. Safdie Bros have a really distinctive style that's a lot of close ups combined with shouting dialogue/really intense score that just creates a really kinetic and visceral feel to their movies. Characters in Good Time were also unlikable, although there's a goal the lead wants to achieve that makes you root for him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just released on Netflix today, just finished watching it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean It's not an A++ tier movie or anything like say Pulp Fiction or Fight Club or anything like that.

But it's a wild ride right from the start of the movie until the very last scene. Definitely anxiety driven and if you're into this type of movie you'll be on the edge of your seat pretty much the entire way.

Adam Sandler also did an excellent job, his best performance ever and I would say he absolutely should have gotten an Oscar nod for his work.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thank god it's on Netflix, didn't expect it this early. This was one of my most anticipated movies of last year and it simply never came out in theaters around me, I couldn't believe it. It's not like it's that small of a movie.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
i'm about halfway through, fell asleep last night because i was tired.

so far its alright, suspense is actually pretty well executed.

my main gripe with this movie is that the majority of the scenes have too much going on in terms of dialogue. Characters screaming, everyone talking over each other, its hard to follow. Its a complaint i have for any movie thats like this because i watch all my TV with subs as i like to know and understand everything thats going on. With subs turned on, sometimes there are 3 lines at the same time on the screen that are being said by 3 different characters.

Sandler so far is really great. I've seen many of his movies, even the more serious roles, and i think this is maybe his best performance ever.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
i'm about halfway through, fell asleep last night because i was tired.

so far its alright, suspense is actually pretty well executed.

my main gripe with this movie is that the majority of the scenes have too much going on in terms of dialogue. Characters screaming, everyone talking over each other, its hard to follow. Its a complaint i have for any movie thats like this because i watch all my TV with subs as i like to know and understand everything thats going on. With subs turned on, sometimes there are 3 lines at the same time on the screen that are being said by 3 different characters.

Sandler so far is really great. I've seen many of his movies, even the more serious roles, and i think this is maybe his best performance ever.
This movie purposely wants to create confusion where you aren't picking everything up so you get wrapped up in the chaotic environment. Especially at the start the directors wanted to create an environment where you may not understand who everyone exactly is or what everyone is saying but you pick up just enough to get a sense for the characters. Like at the start with KG in the shop the background noise and conversations are amplified to the max, that's intentional.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I've been waiting a long time to watch this movie. Sandler did a really good job, and like everyone else is saying, it goes to 100 mph immediately and doesn't stop. All the loud conversations are there to set the hectic pace.

I think the best way to describe it though was that it was a very good movie but I didn't enjoy the experience of it because of increased anxiety. Almost like a rollercoaster that you don't want to be on but can acknowledge that the ride was still very good.

Reactions: OzzyFan

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I've been waiting a long time to watch this movie. Sandler did a really good job, and like everyone else is saying, it goes to 100 mph immediately and doesn't stop. All the loud conversations are there to set the hectic pace.

I think the best way to describe it though was that it was a very good movie but I didn't enjoy the experience of it because of increased anxiety. Almost like a rollercoaster that you don't want to be on but can acknowledge that the ride was still very good.

For me it was arguably the best movie of the year I've seen and I thought Sandler deserved an oscar nod. And this is exactly how I feel about it. Loved the movie a lot, but the stress I felt throughout the movie made me never want to rewatch this again. :)

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't understand why viewers or readers care so much about sympathizing or relating to characters at all.

It's because that's what makes you care about them, and caring about the characters tends to make you a lot more invested in what happens to them. Movies and books are basically fantasies. You watch or read them and fantasize about being in the settings and events depicted and in the characters' shoes. When you relate to the characters in one or more ways, it's easier to become immersed.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's because that's what makes you care about them, and caring about the characters tends to make you a lot more invested in what happens to them. Movies and books are basically fantasies. You watch or read them and fantasize about being in the settings and events depicted and in the characters' shoes. When you relate to the characters in one or more ways, it's easier to become immersed.

I get that but personally I don't enjoy art in that way anymore. I don't find it makes the work better or makes it easier to get into it. Some of my favorite works have unreedemable characters and personally, I'm far more interested in singular worlds other than my own and the one I live in to care to relate. At any rate, I'd be far more interested in relating to the self-effacing artist's sensibilities that creates the work as opposed to his or her characters.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I get that but personally I don't enjoy art in that way anymore. I don't find it makes the work better or makes it easier to get into it. Some of my favorite works have unreedemable characters and personally, I'm far more interested in singular worlds other than my own and the one I live in to care to relate. At any rate, I'd be far more interested in relating to the self-effacing artist's sensibilities that creates the work as opposed to his or her characters.

I took you too literally, then. You said that you didn't understand it, so I tried to give the answer (or part of it), but it sounds like you just don't subscribe to it.

BTW, I don't think that unredeemable necessarily means unrelatable. For example, take Arthur Fleck in Joker. Viewers can relate to him in a few ways and feel sympathy for him, even though he gets progressively unredeemable. In fact, he does far worse things than Sandler's character does in Uncut Gems, yet I would argue that he's a bit more sympathetic of a character because he's partly a victim of a cruel world, whereas Sandler's character is only a victim of his own bad choices.

Last edited:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Excellent movie made even better by Sandler’s performance. He needs to do more movies like this, he has serious chops that shouldn’t go to waste.

Miguel Cairo

Mar 18, 2020
“Look, Doggie, this bet on Garnett is terrible. Okay? It doesn’t make any sense. It’s a bad bet. It’s that simple. This is a bad bet. Look, you want to be on someone to go over in every category you should bet on Tim Duncan. Because when Kevin Garnett is Kevin Garnett he’s Tim Duncan. But when Tim Duncan is Tim Duncan he’s Wilt Chamberlain. That’s the difference. That’s why you just can’t make this bet on Kevin Garnett.

Here’s the Mink Man.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad