Unbiased Canadian's Top 15 for '06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Hey Guys,

Here is my early projection for the 2006 NHL Entry Draft....I've seen several of these players play, and infact I've also seen a bunch of them play against eachother.

Anyway I look forward to your comments....let the fun begin.

1st Overall in 2006 -
F - Michal Frolik - 6'1, 176 - CZECH
I've known this kid was special since watching him play LAST winter at the Viking Cup in Camrose. At the time he was fifteen. He was making players 5-6 years older then him just look stupid. Watching him at the World Jr's have just solidified his status as number one for me.

---------------------

2nd Overall -
F - Jesse Jonesuu - 6"4, 194 - FINLAND
Already a monster and he probably still has a year of growth in him. I see him playing in the NHL as 6"5 215-220. When I watch him play I see a little Olli Jokinen, however Jesse needs to work on his skating a bit. He uses his size well and has a decent set of hands, which I think makes him a force in the corners and below the goaline.

-----------------------

3rd Overall -
F - Phil Kessel - 6"0, 180 - USA NTDP
What can I say about Phil Kessel? The kid was amazing at the World Juniors, solid shot, but what I loved the most about him was his speed and some of the moves he made were spectack!! Kessell makes the 2006 TOP 3 one of the best I've seen in a long time.

-----------------------

4th Overall -
F - Bryan Little - 5"10, 183 - OHL
Unless I'm reading wrong, Little scored 34 goals in the OHL LAST YEAR!! He already has 19 this year, and will msot likely end the season with 35+. All that and he still isn't eligble until 2006! He is a late 87 birth so he should also be a little more developed come draft time.

------------------------

5th Overall -
F - James Sheppard - 6"2 - 199 - QMJHL
I loved watching this guy at the World Under 17's , he led a surprising squad of kids from Atlantic Canada, almost by himself. He uses his size well and is an absolute freight train when he heads toward, and when he is around the net...he likes to stay there!

-------------------------
6th Overall -
F - Alexander Vasjunov - 5"11 176 - RUSSIA
Vasjunov is the first player on my list that I haven't seen play, but from what I've read he is a Russian, you know.....uncanny skills, a little cocky but usually has the game to back it up. Plus everyone knows a Russian has to go in the top ten, Vasjunov is him.

-------------------------
7th Overall -
F - Ben Maxwell - 6"0 175 - WHL
Maxwell has been hiding away in the mountains so far this season playing with the Kootenay Ice in Cranbrook. The Ice have developed players like Dan Blackburn, Steve McCarthy, Jarret Stoll, then never seem to fail with there high Bantam Draft Picks and Maxwell I believe was selected in the 1st round. Watching him at the World Under 17's and it seemed like he was in that elite level of players

----------------------------

8th Overall -
F - Erik Johnson - 6"3 206 - USA NTDP
It appears to be a weak year in 2006 for top notch blueliners. I'm sure some d-men will emerge from the CHL but right now I feel safe saying that Erik Johnson from the U.S.A. looks like the front runner. Moves well, makes a good first past...oh and is solid as a house already.

---------------------------

9th Overall -
F - Jiri Tlusty - 6"1 189 - CZECH
I don't think I've seen anyone else mention his name but I think this kid is the real deal. I've watched him two winters in a row now and both times he impressed me..big time. Last year he and Frolik as 15 year olds dominated the Viking Cup and this year Tlusty was outstanding at the World Under 17's. He was also the Captain at the U 17's, so maybe he's got some leadership in him too.

10th Overall -
F - Peter Mueller - 6"0 200 - USA NTDP
Some people have said he is just as good, if not better then Phill Kessel, if that's the case I may have him ranked too low, but from what I've read/heard, I think this is about right for him.

11th Overall -
F - Jordan Staal - 6"3 200 - OHL
Following in the footsteps of his older brothers, Jordan also looks to be the real deal. It looks like he is adjusting well to the OHL and the Petes. It took him a little while to get going at the U 17's but once he did....LOOK OUT! He looks so much like Eric it's scary. The only things I think he needs to work on are his skating and the fact that he passes to much and doesn't shoot enough!!

-----------------------------
12th Overall -
F - Tomas Marcinko - 6"2 169
I'm sure how rare it is for a 16 year old to have seen time in the Czech Senior league but Marcinko has. He has a nice frame at 6"2, hopefully he can put some meat onto his bones before June 2006.

13th Overall
F - Jonathan Toews - 6"2, 185- SHATTUCK H.S.
This kid led his team to a gold medal at the World Under 17's with 12 points to lead the tournament. I can see his stock improving quite a bit, it'll be interesting to see where he goes to play next year.

14th Overall
G- Niko Hovinen - FINLAND
Not a strong year for puck stoppers, infact I know many people will want to hang me up for putting him this high, but from what I saw from him at the U 17's. I think he has the potential to be another great finnish netminding prospect. He looks alot like Toivunen in the goal. But yes I know too high.

15th Overall
D- Keaton Ellerby - WHL
Tall and skinny. I'm sure I've heard his name mentioned anywhere but he sure is smooth on the ice. He has played in over 30 games with the Kamloops blazers so far this season. Once again I'm basing this pick on where I think he will be this time next year...not right now.

Honourable Mention in NO ORDER

Mitch Fadden - WHL
Juuso Puustinen - FINLAND
Matthew Corrente - USA
Kyle Okposo - USA
Jonathan Bernier - QMJHL
Robert Nyholm - FINLAND
Vlad Zharkov - RUSSIA
Martin Latal - CZECH
and I'm sure there are several more...

Ok, tear me apart....lol

Unbiased Canadian

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Thanks for the information man. Your Post is highly Appreciated. Good job...! Frolik did impress me in the WJ and i've heard good things about Little...Staal looks nice too.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I think Mueller will go higher than Kessel. No offence to Kessel, he reminds me of Paul Kariya, but Mueller fits the pro game better. He has a more powerfull frame and a rocket of a shot. Kessel's game is more speed and quickness. Also Erick Johnson will turn out to be a better pro than Jack Johnson, IMO. He is not as physical but, with his size, I be believe he has more upside. As you can see I'm a big fan of the NTDP and have seen many of there games. How did Summers, Strait, and Geffrion play at the U17's? Most scouts I have talked to seem to think their forwards are too small. Their size is all on Defence.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
bigd said:
I think Mueller will go higher than Kessel. No offence to Kessel, he reminds me of Paul Kariya, but Mueller fits the pro game better. He has a more powerfull frame and a rocket of a shot. Kessel's game is more speed and quickness. Also Erick Johnson will turn out to be a better pro than Jack Johnson, IMO. He is not as physical but, with his size, I be believe he has more upside. As you can see I'm a big fan of the NTDP and have seen many of there games. How did Summers, Strait, and Geffrion play at the U17's? Most scouts I have talked to seem to think their forwards are too small. Their size is all on Defence.

I'm dying to see some of their games. If people have some tapes from them to sell, I'm a buyer.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Toews will be a top 5 when all is said and done. He's joining the UND Fighting Sioux next year.

X-SHARKIE

Solid list, but Jiri Tlusty has been known for aloong time by ISS and they have the same things to say. He sure does sound like the real deal. #9 is the highest i've seen him at though.

Mueller is a lot better then you give him credit for, I've seen this guy do things that scream franchise player, he'll also be your captain. Perfect combo of skill, size, smarts, for the #1 center role on your team...He'll be a top 5 pick.

I really like Staal as well, he's not as skilled as Eric but he plays a much more physical game and uses his hulking frame to his advantage.

Toews is way to low though, Marcinko is pushing for a top 10 pick.

Good call on Johnson but Strait is another very talented kid.

I can't waite to see the Championship game for my self to see Toews and Maxwell.

Good work!

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
There are a couple of good US '88 goalies from what I've heard. The best seem to be Neil Conway (OHL), Billy Sauer (USHL-Going to U of Michigan next year as a 17 year old ala Al Montoya), Joe Palmer (NTDP-A number of publications had him as the top '06 eligible goalie at the beginning of the year), Brett Bennett (NTDP-Had a terrible game against Ontario at the U17s which I suppose will hurt his stock), and Ryan Simpson (EJHL). Does anybody have some insight on these guys and how they fit into the '06 draft?

Beyond Mueller and Okposo the US '88 forwards seem weak. One player I'm curious to hear more about if Ryan Flynn. He's very big and supposedly has some good skills. Anybody have any impressions? I'm also curious to hear how Jason Reese is playing for Vancouver. Last year he was considered on a similar level to Hamill and Maxwell but he seems to have dropped off the radar while the other two have continued to get recognition.

I remember hearing great things about the US '88 defensemen. Johnson seems to be getting a lot of attention but what about some of the other guys? Anyone know how Dowzak at Shattucks has been progressing? What about Bobby Sanguinetti in the OHL? I had also heard very good things about almost all of the NTDP's '88 d-men.

X-SHARKIE

cagney said:
There are a couple of good US '88 goalies from what I've heard. The best seem to be Neil Conway (OHL), Billy Sauer (USHL-Going to U of Michigan next year as a 17 year old ala Al Montoya), Joe Palmer (NTDP-A number of publications had him as the top '06 eligible goalie at the beginning of the year), Brett Bennett (NTDP-Had a terrible game against Ontario at the U17s which I suppose will hurt his stock), and Ryan Simpson (EJHL). Does anybody have some insight on these guys and how they fit into the '06 draft?

Beyond Mueller and Okposo the US '88 forwards seem weak. One player I'm curious to hear more about if Ryan Flynn. He's very big and supposedly has some good skills. Anybody have any impressions? I'm also curious to hear how Jason Reese is playing for Vancouver. Last year he was considered on a similar level to Hamill and Maxwell but he seems to have dropped off the radar while the other two have continued to get recognition.

I remember hearing great things about the US '88 defensemen. Johnson seems to be getting a lot of attention but what about some of the other guys? Anyone know how Dowzak at Shattucks has been progressing? What about Bobby Sanguinetti in the OHL? I had also heard very good things about almost all of the NTDP's '88 d-men.

I think Palmer, Butler, Bernier are 3 goalies who might go 1st round in 2006.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
cagney said:
I'm also curious to hear how Jason Reese is playing for Vancouver. Last year he was considered on a similar level to Hamill and Maxwell but he seems to have dropped off the radar while the other two have continued to get recognition. .
After playing Reese in his bantam and Jr.B years one thing I've noticed is that he is a very dominant player but doesn't have the finish that he has to have to be a scorer in the WHL. He will be a solid second liner next year, and the reason he isn't yet this year is basically because the Giants want to go for it this year, and have signed Robinson and others.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Don_Cherry said:
Toews will be a top 5 when all is said and done. He's joining the UND Fighting Sioux next year.

Hey Man, I'm pretty sure I've never agreed with you before, but you're right abouts Toews, I think I said in my post that he would go higher too. He seems to be the entire package.

Unbiased Canadian

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
these US defensemen all have a shot the first round in 06;
erik johnson, mark mitera, joey ryan, chad morin, brian strait, bobby sanguinetti, tysen dowzek, chris summers. 2 ny guys who were highly touted but have struggled, but still have alot of potential are steve spade and mike ratchuk, both could still have big seasons next year and end up in the 1st round. thats 10 guys, probably 4 or 5 will end up as 1st rounders. the forwards are much weaker. phil kessel, peter mueller, kyle okposo, and nick foligno are very good possibilities, with jason reese, and maybe luke lynes, blake geoffrion or ryan flynn bc of their size sneaking in.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Unbiased Canadian said:
5th Overall -
F - James Sheppard - 6"2 - 199 - QMJHL
I loved watching this guy at the World Under 17's , he led a surprising squad of kids from Atlantic Canada, almost by himself. He uses his size well and is an absolute freight train when he heads toward, and when he is around the net...he likes to stay there!

*cough* Brad Marchand *cough*

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
cagney said:

I like Ryan Flynn too. Big kid with good skills. Not at the same level as Mueller and Okposo but if he works real hard over the next two years at the NTDP he could suprise some people.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I haven't been impressed with Jordan Staal in the 2 games I've seen him play in the O. He has had a bit of trouble adjusting and maybe that's all it is. I expect Ryan McDonough (despite his size) and Justin Azevedo to be drafted high as well.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I am starting to gear up towards this 2006 draft. There is quite a few names I am allready likeing at the present time. Sheppard and Towes are the two I really like. Sheppard is a train going to the net, he resembles Jeff Carter going to the outside because the similar size, speed and strength.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Unbiased Canadian I'm not so sure about the statement that the top three is one of the best seen in a long time. Is 2005 a long time?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pei fan said:
Unbiased Canadian I'm not so sure about the statement that the top three is one of the best seen in a long time. Is 2005 a long time?

Id rathr have the top 3 players in 2006 than Brule whois 2nd in 2005

Kessel, Frolik and Joensuu vs. Crosby, Brule, Johnson

Tough to call.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Id rathr have the top 3 players in 2006 than Brule whois 2nd in 2005

Kessel, Frolik and Joensuu vs. Crosby, Brule, Johnson

Tough to call.
I think Johnson is the consensus # 2.I haven't really seen much of him but I've seen Brule and he's pretty darn good.You know what,it's possible (not neccessarily
probable)that they may all go at the same time.

Hey lala ,you guys start the FIRE MACADAM campaign yet? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad