UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I asked over at the Storm board what they could tell me about McEwan. Here is some good info...

Interesting to read that he has played some D in his junior career. Like that his speed and shot seem to be strengths.

I liked James but felt he was never the same after his broken jaw in 2016 - found him to be a bit gun shy after that, but that was a nasty injury and who could blame him. I expected more from him in his last campaign points-wise, especially after his Mtl camp stint (I thought he would come back and light it up because he’d had an excellent camp), but he just didn’t get there. Great speed and a wicked shot. His stints on defense were great and I often thought they should have kept him back on D and move Merkley up to forward for a number of games as an experiment (cue Storm Surge comments here....). By all accounts he’s a great kid and has talent and drive -he’s got a good head on his shoulders based on interviews I’ve read or seen. Maybe with the move to UNB you’ll see a breakout from him. Always liked the kid as a player and hope the best for him moving forward.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Exhibition schedule has been announced...home vs McGill x2, at Ryerson x2, at Boston College, home vs Lethbridge for Pete Kelly.

Gotta think Lethbridge will be playing at least one more AUS team...can’t see them traveling all that way for one game.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Don’t really care but I wonder why?

From the press release announcing UNB's new partnership with Kahunaverse Sports...

“Our main goal was to be more inclusive, and have everyone associated with UNB feel like a Red. Everyone from students, to alumni, staff, faculty, fans, our athletes, and our corporate partners,” said Zildjan. “It’s been an amazing project, so far, and we feel it is well on its way to accomplishing our goal.”

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I prefer the old name Red Devils

They had good logos!

UNB-1983-50x50.jpg

UNB-1991-50x50.jpg

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Really like the addition of Dove-McFalls. Big body who is great at both ends of the ice.

This gives them some ridiculous depth at forward...I am wondering if this is a situation where they were more looking to add a defenseman but couldn’t pass up the chance at adding a guy of Dove-McFalls caliber.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Agreed - have to take the talent when you have the chance.

I was hoping for a top-4 Dman, maybe later. Surprised that they didn't land Nicholas Welsh, Will Thompson or Taylor Ford. Probably hoping for Noah Carroll and/or someone not mentioned as of yet - one of those 'potential' recruits who want to try pro first.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
With technically only 1 roster spot not filled, I am wondering about what they will do with Trainor, right now it looks like that last spot will have to go to a D man, as they currently have 6 for the season. I really cant see them risking on only having 6 defensemen all season.
I am pretty sure that Carrol wants to see what is out there for pro before committing to University, but it's probably a pretty safe bet that he comes to UNB if he decides to go the University route.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to Victor Findlay, they are also in on Garrett McFadden from Guelph.

I can see them adding another D-Man to cap their roster, but holding out Trainor until Christmas so they can add someone if the opportunity presents itself. If they don’t add anyone then they can just play him if needed.

With regards to the D...McEwan played some D in the OHL and don’t forget Boudens can play back there as well if they really get in a pinch. As much as I would love to see them add a top-4 guy, their defense is pretty solid right now and I don’t know who you would bump out of the lineup to make room...might have more luck just plugging that spot with a depth type guy who knows and understands his role. Of course...injuries.

Reactions: Rob

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I can see them doing that, holding Peter out unless absolutely needed or until all spots are used up. I am wondering if there is another name on that list that might not be coming back, I suspect that they are but you just never know.
I don't know McFadden, will have to look him up. Carrol would be a pretty huge recruit to land!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Honestly, my first thought when I saw the Dove-McFalls news was that either someone else isn’t returning or one of the recruits isn’t coming.

On another note, I know Simpson/Gatenby/Rassell/Boucher all attended rookie camps...has there been any word if anyone has been invited to training camps in September? I haven’t heard/saw anything thus far.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Does anyone have a guess at the current roster and how many spots are left? I heard that Caissy isn't coming back as he's done at Christmas.

Also - Mark Simpson was impressive at UCup, he could get a deal. You can always come back and finish later.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
- Do they look at adding another goaltender? I can't ever remember them having three recruited goalies on the team, but if a stud becomes available I have a hard time seeing them say no.

The last time this happened was 2013-14 when they brought Charlie Lavigne in for a game because Travis or Dan was sick/injured. He was in his first year of his MBA and hadn't planned on playing. He didn't play any minutes for the one game he was in for, but was available and wasn't some Junior 'B' goalie some other programs have falling back on.

That's the last time we had 3 quality goalies available in one season.

Previous to this, 2011-12 when we had Travis, Dan and Matt Davis who all played minutes.

Agreed - UNB generally only goes with 2 goalies. Unlike ALB, CAL & USK who seem to carry 3 most seasons.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The last time this happened was 2013-14 when they brought Charlie Lavigne in for a game because Travis or Dan was sick/injured. He was in his first year of his MBA and hadn't planned on playing. He didn't play any minutes for the one game he was in for, but was available and wasn't some Junior 'B' goalie some other programs have falling back on.

That's the last time we had 3 quality goalies available in one season.

Previous to this, 2011-12 when we had Travis, Dan and Matt Davis who all played minutes.

Agreed - UNB generally only goes with 2 goalies. Unlike ALB, CAL & USK who seem to carry 3 most seasons.
Everybody in CW has 3 goalies.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
Has there been any word yet who will be attending NHL training camps this year?
Mark Rassell is attending LA Kings’ rookie camp and Matthew Boucher, Colorado’s. Both teams are participating in the 2018 Vegas Rookie Faceoff tournament, which takes place from Sept. 8 - 11. Interestingly, Phil Maillet is also part of Kings’ rookie camp.

I couldn’t find any info on Joe Gatenby or Mark Simpson, who I both thought attended development camps this past summer.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Gatenby was at the Development camp for the Sharks
Mark attend the Development camp for the Capitals
I couldn't find any links/info on them attending a rookie camp (not yet).

Neither could I...both of those teams have posted their rookie tournament rosters too.

Take this for what it’s worth, but I had heard they may have up to 4 guys at camps. So they may be a little short staffed for the early pre-season games.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
If this new logo is a big red 'R' with a circle border (very much like the Redblacks-CFL) I will hate it. :thumbd: This is what the teaser leads me to believe - it looks like a Helvetica font around the top "UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK" and "REDS" on the bottom with an italic athletic "R" in the middle.

- The word font will be too small to read from a distance, all you will see is an 'R'
- How are you suppose to make the jump from a large 'R' to 'UNB"
- It will likely be mistaken for the Redblacks logo
- or maybe Ryerson or Regina for those who don't follow USPORTS

Imagine UNB vs Ryerson on SportsNet and they show two 'R' logos on the screen. :damnpc:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad