UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I happened to look at Elite Prospects from Fredericton - wonder if Luc Deschense would play for UNB? He turns 21 in May and would be pro eligible for the Fall. Good offense numbers for a 'D' man, but 148 PMS might need to be addressed.

Elite Prospect Page

Didn’t play hockey this season at all, has no desire to continue playing hockey or pursue a University degree. He’s not going to play for UNB, now maybe he could be convinced to come out of “retirement” but I highly doubt it.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So they basically need to replace the entire 4th line. I expect them to bring in some guys who didn’t necessarily put up big numbers in junior but are very good PKers/defensive guys to fill those spots. If they can find guys who do all of that plus can provide offense, even better. I am of the thinking that having four scoring lines is better than three scoring lines + a checking line...your best defense is a good offense.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Definitely what they needed....their lack of finish at times last season was frustrating.

I can’t remember the last time (if ever) they have had a former 50 goal scorer...lots of guys have come in with seasons of 40+ (Boland/Trainor/Wiebe/Wudrick/Braes/Prosychen off the top of my head...and with very mixed results after looking at that list).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Another big recruit from out west. Perhaps taking advantage of Alberta’s lack of turnover this offseason??

Hard to believe, but I think this is their first D recruit out of the WHL since Ben Wright in 2009.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
News coming fast and furious this week....according to Findlay, Quebec Remparts captain Matthew Boucher has committed. He’s fairly small but has been a point per game player the last three years in the Q.

The way things are looking, I expect them to score more goals next year.

MacDougall said they would be quicker and more skilled next year and it certainly looks like that is going to be the case.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Looking at the AUC ice schedule and there are times set aside on September 14/15 and December 29/30 for games...perhaps it is nothing but I suspect those will be exhibition games.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I usually do this later in the summer, but then again, we usually don't hear anything about potential recruits until then. With a few names already out there I figure it would be a good time to see how the roster looks...

GONE - ELIGIBILITY/PRO (5)
F - Chris Caissy
F - Dylan Willick
F - Mike Thomas
F - Trey Lewis
D - Colin Suellentrop

RETURNING (2 G + 10 F + 5 D)
G - Alex Dubeau (4th year)
G - Rylan Parenteau (2nd year)
F - Cameron Brace (5th year)
F - Matt Boudens (5th year)
F - Peter Trainor (5th year)
F - Stephen Anderson (4th year)
F - Chris Clapperton (4th year)
F - Oliver Cooper (3rd year)
F - Mark Simpson (3rd year)
F - Kris Bennett (2nd year)
F - Tyler Boland (2nd year)
F - Alex Goulet (2nd year)
D - Randy Gazzola (5th year)
D - Marcus McIvor (4th year)
D - Matt Murphy (3rd year)
D - Olivier LeBlanc (2nd year)
D - Tristan Pomerleau (2nd year)

CONFIRMED RECRUITS (5)
F - Patrick Watling
F - Mark Rassell
F - Matthew Boucher
F - James McEwen
D - Joe Gatenby

A few thoughts:

- If all the recruits show up and there are no current players who don't come back, they are sitting at 14 forwards and 6 defencemen for a total of 20 skaters against the 22 player cap. I suspect they will leave at least one spot, if not both, open for Christmas for any potential pro guys. It would be nice to get at least one more defenceman before the season begins to give them at least one spare in case of injury/suspension.

- Will they keep Trainor's roster spot available by once again not playing him in any regular season games before Christmas? Personally, I don't think that will be the case but probably can't be completely ruled out.

- As it stands right now, they will return their entire top 6 from last year (Clapperton/Boland/Anderson/Brace/Goulet/Bennett).

- They should be able to make a very productive 3rd and 4th line between Simpson/Rassell/Boucher/Watling/Cooper/Trainor/Boudens/McEwen.

- Having said that, I could see Simpson work his way into the top 6. He was very effective in that role at the UCup. I could see him taking a big step forward offensively this season.

- I am really, really excited about the potential of this forward group. I feel like their scoring depth should be much better this season. It's not a stretch to imagine Rassell/Boucher/Watling/McEwen putting up more points than the forwards who have left.

- Their defence is looking very solid from 1 to 6. Getting Gazzola back for his 5th year is huge. I think this could be a break-out year for Murphy and LeBlanc/Pomerleau should only get better in their 2nd year.

- Gatenby looks like a great addition to replace Suellentrop. Just looking at the numbers, he seems to be the more gifted offensively of the two, but I thought Suellentrop was very underrated for his penalty killing and defensive zone play. He wasn't flashy by any means but he was steady and will no doubt be greatly missed.

- Do they look at adding another goaltender? I can't ever remember them having three recruited goalies on the team, but if a stud becomes available I have a hard time seeing them say no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->