UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Having seen all the above teams, the only one I'd place on the same level as this Concordia team is the '13 Patriotes. UNB is absolutely the favourite, but here is what I believe:

- York would have been a much more significant underdog than Concordia.
- This year's Concordia team would be a significant favourite over last year's Queen's team.
- The 2018 Stingers are a much better team than the 2012 Mustangs.
- I'd slot a Concordia upset as the second-most likely upset of the first round (IMO, Acadia over Alberta and Brock over St FX would both be "bigger" upsets).

Again, UNB is the favourite, and with good reason - but make no mistake, this is a much tougher matchup for UNB than York would have been.

UNB 8-1 with a 52-17 shot count. I think we can close the book on this discussion.

UNB is 16-2 vs OUA at Nationals and 57-3 vs OUA (all games) since 2000

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I may be wrong on this...but I believe MacDougall is going into the last year of his contract next season. It will be interesting to see how things play out...

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I may be wrong on this...but I believe MacDougall is going into the last year of his contract next season. It will be interesting to see how things play out...

You are correct - he signed a 5 year deal June 2014, so it should end June 2019. This coming season (2018-19) is his last one under this contract ... and then we wait and see (and hold our breath).

He's done everything you can think of in the position - staying means he just increases already crazy numbers.
- Coached Games: 645
- Coaching Wins: 456 (most in the AUS, closing in on 2nd all-time for USPORTS)
- Career Win%: .707
- Eleven(11) AUS Pennants
- Seven(7) AUS Titles
- Twelve(12) National Appearances
- Six(6) National Titles (Gold)
- One(1) National Title defense (Back-2-Back)
- Three(3) National Runner-ups (Silver)
- One(1) National 3rd Place (Bronze)
- Two(2) FISU Hockey Golds (Head Coach & Asst. Coach)
- Five(5) AUS Coach of the Year awards
- Two(2) USPORTS (Hockey) Coach of the Year awards
and the CIS Jean-Marie De Koninck Coaching Excellence Award

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
You are correct - he signed a 5 year deal June 2014, so it should end June 2019. This coming season (2018-19) is his last one under this contract ... and then we wait and see (and hold our breath).

He's done everything you can think of in the position - staying means he just increases already crazy numbers.
- Coached Games: 645
- Coaching Wins: 456 (most in the AUS, closing in on 2nd all-time for USPORTS)
- Career Win%: .707
- Eleven(11) AUS Pennants
- Seven(7) AUS Titles
- Twelve(12) National Appearances
- Six(6) National Titles (Gold)
- One(1) National Title defense (Back-2-Back)
- Three(3) National Runner-ups (Silver)
- One(1) National 3rd Place (Bronze)
- Two(2) FISU Hockey Golds (Head Coach & Asst. Coach)
- Five(5) AUS Coach of the Year awards
- Two(2) USPORTS (Hockey) Coach of the Year awards
and the CIS Jean-Marie De Koninck Coaching Excellence Award

Where else can he go? Don't say Pro......

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Reading the post game interview in the Gleaner I was disappointed that coach Mac wasn't asked about his team's overly aggressive play? The sin bin is why they lost on Saturday.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Reading Bruce Hallihan’s latest column online, he offers some great perspective on UNB’s season....says if anything, they overachieved in going 36-3-5 (their fewest number of regulation losses in a season ever) and winning the bronze, despite it being a “rebuilding” year, isn’t “too shabby”.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I think to be fair to UNB and Coach Mac, penalties were miscalled and called against UNB ( Pomerleau's hit, 5 min call on LeBlanc, iffy Clapperton snow job and a penalty shot ) that were not called against St FX, especially after the Simpson goal and into OT.
I think a much better and appropriate question would have been, "Coach, were you happy with the level of officiating in your National Semi Final game?"

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think to be fair to UNB and Coach Mac, penalties were miscalled and called against UNB ( Pomerleau's hit, 5 min call on LeBlanc, iffy Clapperton snow job and a penalty shot ) that were not called against St FX, especially after the Simpson goal and into OT.
I think a much better and appropriate question would have been, "Coach, were you happy with the level of officiating in your National Semi Final game?"

To your point on penalties called and not called....Pomerleau was a "loud" hit and is a coin toss, IMO. So I'm not concerned with it not being called either. The knee by LeBlanc - People who saw the game on SN and saw the replay said that it was definitely a knee-on-thigh. Worthy of 5? I can't say. Penalty shot - Bad call. Clapperton - he's a better player than to need to do that. Any other player could have avoided that. Dumb penalty on his part. Simpson should not have been in the game after the hit-to-the-head non-call. Right after it happened, I got 2 texts from an AUS and a non-AUS coach who both said "100% blown call. Should be 5 and a game". But, I don't wear Red and Black.

Overall, I thought the reffing in that game left a bit to be desired.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

It's not worth asking that question - they don't want to be fined and they dance around it so it's a non-starter, not to mention the look you would get if he thought you should have known better.

He did allude to his thoughts after the Bronze game. I don't recall the exact quote, I didn't record it and it was cut from the USPORTS post game video that is on the internet (it was at the end of the presser and the video ends a bit early), but it was something like 'this event was 95% professional'. After he left, some of us looked around and wondered - what the 5% could be :sarcasm:. It was a great quote.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Bill Hunt has an article in the Gleaner where he talks to Moncton forward James Phelan. According to Phelan UNB has approached him (which makes sense given he played with Goulet/Pomerleau in Victoriaville), but his primary goal is to play pro/in the AHL next year.

Also, noticed at the Senior Recognition Night today they honoured Suellentrop and Caissy in addition to Willick/Thomas so I am guessing those two will also be moving on.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Nice article from Bruce Hallihan (online now, probably in print tomorrow) where he talks to a number of players.

He confirms Suellentrop and Caissy are indeed moving on. I think Suellentrop will be a very underrated loss. Didn’t put up a lot of points but his +/- was ridiculous and will be missed on the PK. They will no doubt miss his steady defensive play.

Hallihan also says all of the other 4th year guys (Gazzola/Brace/Boudens/Trainor/Lewis) are planning on being back. I thought for sure Gazzola would be done but apparently didn’t get the pro offers he was looking for...very excited he will be back. No real surprise the others are returning.

Also saw a quote from MacDougall saying something along of the lines that they have a good core and next year they will be faster and more skilled. Kinda hoping with the how this season ended the motivation this summer and into next year to avenge that will be through the roof.

Is it September yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad