UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Just looking at this week’s top ten rankings. UNB got 14 out of 15 first place votes but only 146 points, meaning the other voter had them 5th. Obviously meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but thought that was interesting. I’d like to hear the reasoning behind that choice.

Probably the same guy who picked USask as #1 but they ended up 3rd (11 points behind 2nd is a lot). Something like USK / ALB / SFX / McGill /UNB

I agree - I'd like to meet this person and hear their justification for having SFX and McGill ahead of UNB.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB 3-2 over SMU:
As per Fredfoyle, lot's of energy in the building last night. Full house, loads of kids, great atmosphere to showcase U Sport hockey! UNB with a ton of point black chances in the slot, should have built a bigger lead than two, but ran into a sharp goaltender. SMU weathers the storm in the first period (19-4 shots) , and looked very dangerous the rest of the way.
I expect Acadia to put forth a better effort than a 5-1 loss on the Island last night.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Some random thoughts:

- UNB has taken a boatload of penalties in the 3rd period this half it seems.

- they got to get the PP figured out. They don’t even look dangerous out there...more disjointed than anything. Not a fan of all the drop passes on the break out.

- Brace fit in nicely on that top line.

- I like this line-up. Cooper hasn’t been very effective lately and sometimes looks too slow out there to keep up with his line mates and play how UNB likes to play.

- I know they were missing a lot of firepower in Leier and Giftopoulos but for being the highest scoring team in the country, Acadia did not impress me at all. They couldn’t do anything offensively outside of a post or two....I honestly cannot remember Dubeau having to make a difficult save the entire game.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Don’t want to overreact to one game against Moncton, but they should roll with those top two lines for the rest of the season. They were both dynamite all night.

As for the bottom 6, I would replace either Trainor or Cooper (no real preference) with Caissy and go with that.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB had a chance at the win but couldn't lock it down in the last minute giving up the tying goal with 12secs, then taking a penalty with 5secs left and losing in OT. Should have been a win - can't let things like this happen.

A UNB regulation win on Friday will clinch 1st place regardless of Saturday's results.
A win in OT means they have a 1pt lead going into Saturday and the tie-breaker if they finish in a tie.
A loss in OT means they trail by 1 going into Saturday and SFX has the tie-breaker if they finish in a tie.
A loss in regulation means they will finish 2nd as SFX would have the tie-breaker if they finish in a tie.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
McIvor out again...anyone know exactly what happened there? I thought he took a puck or stick up high against SMU last week so maybe that is the reason he has been out.

Cooper with the game misconduct...I assume he is out tomorrow.

That 5-on-3 penalty kill was the TSN turning point.

Last edited:

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Scariest parts of the game tonight were when the refs had a meeting to discuss penalties because you had no faith in what they would call. It's pretty hard to get both coaches hollering at you but they were very good at doing that.
The game threatened to break out a couple of times, that's for sure!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Pretty incredible they were only 1 point off last year (24-2-4 vs. 25-2-3) given the roster turnover.

Even more impressive considering they had a tougher schedule this year, IMO. They had the extra road game against X/Dal/UdeM last year...this year it was against Acadia/SMU/PEI, which is the tougher trio.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Great job getting the sweep and having 5 days rest before the AUS final start on Sunday. (assuming that's when it will begin).

Probably going to lose Trey Lewis to suspension for at least the first game.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Great job getting the sweep and having 5 days rest before the AUS final start on Sunday. (assuming that's when it will begin).

Probably going to lose Trey Lewis to suspension for at least the first game.
I assume that it will start Sunday, and Lewis will miss at least the first game, and possibly could be more. I didn't see the hit, will have to take a look in the archives.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm guessing that the next series will start on Monday seeing that it's only a best-of-3 and the short turnaround for SFX/ACA. Regarding the Lewis hit, he was initially given a 2-10 for hit to the head and after a conference of the officials it was upgraded to a Major. As for the game itself, SMU was not very good. On the 5 minute PP, they got only 1 shot on goal. Brassard gave up 2 bad goals and was pulled for Cheveldave. UNB scored a couple of real nice goals in the process. SMU has 5-6 days to regroup for the next series.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Doesn’t the AUS Final need to wrap up a certain amount of days before the UCup starts? I always thought it was a week but I could be wrong.
Not sure if there is a time frame required, but I can say that the Finals will start Monday night in Fredericton. I am assuming that they will go Monday - Wednesday and Friday if needed.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The playoff dates were determined at the beginning of the season (AUS Rule)

MensHockey.pdf

The finals start on Monday with game 2 on Wednesday followed by Friday (if necessary).

All games must be completed by/on Saturday March 10th (USPORTS Rule) , generally the day of the Queen's Cup. Most conferences finish-up the weekend prior to this. The AUS is the only conference to play during the week on this last week.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Looking forward to this series, should be a good one, UNB will have a little revenge on their minds, while X has plans on keeping the AUS title for another year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
May be too early to speculate...but UNB will almost certainly get the OUA 3rd place team (if they beat X and go in #1 or #2) or OUA 2nd place (if they lose and go in #5 again) in their opening game.

The last two years the OUA runner-up has arguably been the easier draw than the 3rd place team (Queen’s vs McGill last year...Western vs. Carleton in 2016).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad