UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The advantage of playing in the AUS is that teams push you every night, which better prepares you for the University Cup.
UNB needs to get much better on the powerplay. It stinks right now, and is a momentum killer.
This is not last year's team, and it really shows when you compare "finish". V-Reds (especially Boland) are missing tons of opportunities to complete plays for goals.
I am sure Coach MacDougall will be looking for the next Clapperton (or Maillet if they are out there) over Christmas to firm up the offense.
Defense is pretty solid, but we saw in the SMU and Acadia games that they can be guilty of missing assignments at time.
On a positive note, there is lots of potential if coaching can improve the newbies' play.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB needs to get much better on the powerplay. It stinks right now, and is a momentum killer.

On a positive note, there is lots of potential if coaching can improve the newbies' play.

Yup - hard to believe you lose that much talent and you're in 1st place at the break. Unlike 2015, where none of the team had been to nationals (except for TMac), this team has a lot of UCup experience outside of the rookies - a definite plus and they're at home.

17.2% on the power-play isn't bad (almost normal for UNB), but it can be better. The USPORTS average is 17.9%. At least they capitalized on their PP in the 3rd period vs Acadia to force OT. StFX is at a crazy 29%.

Last year's PP, at 26.7% (vs a league avg. of 17.39), was abnormally high for UNB, their generally never that good . . .
17.15 ('16-gold) [18.35],
19.2 ('15-silver) [18.21],
17.4 ('14) [18.19],
18.8 ('13-gold) [18.13]
17.6 ('12) [17.66]
18.7 ('11-gold) [17.72]

[better than average only half the time]
[every time >18%, they go to the finals]
[finals only once when <18%]

Over this span, UNB's average is 18.1% and they are close to the leagues average of averages at 18.04%. Compared to this year they are 0.9% behind - which would be just one more goal (in total). So, I don't think this is as big an issue as most make it out to be as long as they stay at this level or a bit better (the magic 18% level) they should be fine.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The PP has looked better since Clapperton has come back, which is obviously no coincidence.

I don't know if I have seen a guy as snake bitten as Boland. You gotta think he starts converting those quality chances. I would be more concerned if he wasn't getting those chances to begin with.

Honestly, I would rather a team be very good 5 on 5 and not have to rely on the PP so much. But yes, it would be nice to see them take advantage of their opportunities a bit more often.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Honestly, I would rather a team be very good 5 on 5 and not have to rely on the PP so much. But yes, it would be nice to see them take advantage of their opportunities a bit more often.

That is my sentiment as well. I also think it's the core of UNB's strategy (hard to play against, 3600sec, etc). In UNB's case, they play 10min on the PP, 10min SH and 40min 5-on-5, so winning the 5-on-5 game and killing off most of their penalties means a good PP is a bonus as it's only 16% of the game's time.

Along the lines of relying on a PP to win. The best example of this is #5 seed UoT vs #4 seed Ottawa in the 2013 First Round OUA-E Playoffs. UoT had a PP% of 25.9% (#1 in the CIS), but were 1-13 in their 3 game series (7.7%) losing their two road games (game 1 & 3 where they went 0-2 and 0-5 respectively). The PP% is a good stat, but good teams have good PK so you can't rely on it in the playoffs like you can against a weak team during the season. A better stat would be the PP% vs the top 3 teams in your division. If you can score against those harder opponents, then you have a 'real' weapon.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
That is my sentiment as well. I also think it's the core of UNB's strategy (hard to play against, 3600sec, etc). In UNB's case, they play 10min on the PP, 10min SH and 40min 5-on-5, so winning the 5-on-5 game and killing off most of their penalties means a good PP is a bonus as it's only 16% of the game's time.

Along the lines of relying on a PP to win. The best example of this is #5 seed UoT vs #4 seed Ottawa in the 2013 First Round OUA-E Playoffs. UoT had a PP% of 25.9% (#1 in the CIS), but were 1-13 in their 3 game series (7.7%) losing their two road games (game 1 & 3 where they went 0-2 and 0-5 respectively). The PP% is a good stat, but good teams have good PK so you can't rely on it in the playoffs like you can against a weak team during the season. A better stat would be the PP% vs the top 3 teams in your division. If you can score against those harder opponents, then you have a 'real' weapon.
Agree, your percentage vs the top 3 AUS opponents, is more of what your up against during AUS semi-finals, finals and Nationals.
Boland is also a rookie and may be rushing his chances at times, but he looks to be a key recruit, with a very good skillset.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The last time I remember them having a "lethal" power play before last year were the 2007-2010 teams who went 29%/22%/26%. Of course, the year they won the UCup was the lowest out of those.

So, having an amazing PP hasn't been the ultimate key to their recent success,

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Parenteau was great against Poland.

I know coach Mac has slated Dubeau as the number one but I really think Parenteau should face better opposition in the second half. Dubeau isn't as bad as some seem to think but he isn't a game stealer either.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I remember a potential post Christmas recruit a few years back, that was called up to the AHL just before Christmas. Very soon after the new year he was back to the EHL for the rest of the year but that token call up stopped him from going the University route.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Where are you seeing that? I don't see it on the echl.com transaction page.

UPDATE: I see now. The ECHL Transactions in the menu is not as up to date as the Transaction "News" story. Weird.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
That’s what I figured as well (re/ school). Between that and how well he has been doing I am quite surprised by this news.
Have to remember a couple of things, he was probably hoping for a call up to the AHL, and even as well he has played, he might have thought that it wasn't coming. Also, by leaving now, he can step right in, no waiting period, he waits till next year to go to school, then he is not eligible until Christmas. This is all just speculation on my part, as there has not even been an announcement that he is indeed committed to UNB.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Exciting game last night vs Ryerson. Unb was all over them and deserve the win however Ryerson ran out of gas versus speedy UNB. Unb was exposed a bit on defence and especially Goaltending showed weak link which could cost UNB in future

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Will be interesting to see how the quick turnaround for game 2 plays out. Gotta think that plays into UNBs favour a bit being the home team.

Outstanding game by Dupuis in net for Ryerson. Not only did he face 63 shots but their was some hardcore scoring chances he made huge saves on.

Nice to see Boland Pot a couple of goals, you could tell he was pumped to put that 1 timer in he's been so snake bitten. Goulet looks to be a solid addition out there, for a first game with new teammates and limited practice due to the Christmas break he looks like he will command a lot of attention and plays a good 2 way game.

I'm still concerned over goaltending 5 goals allowed on 19 shots is scary regardless of the quality of their goals you still hope your goalie can make a big save on some of those. Im hoping to see Parenteau get a larger share of starts in the second half

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Ryerson plays a quick/transition game similar to UNB, something most AUS teams don’t try, so it was entertaining. Moncton used to play that way under Serge, but not anymore. Ryerson was looking for the long stretch pass throughout...I think that caught UNB off guard a bit at times, especially on the 3rd goal.

The ingredients were there for an upset. The Rams took advantage of their power play chances (3/4) and limited opportunities + the goaltending was definitely shakey (although I think Dubeau was rattled after that first goal and let his emotions get to him)...that’s how you usually beat UNB.

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Today Game 8-2 Win for UNB was 2 games in 1. With/Without Dupuis in net. UNB has best collective Forwards in Usport and Ryerson showed they can compete with anyone in Country with Dupuis in net

Overall, it was Excellent Hockey for 93 minutes of 123

Great Win for UNB & Excellent Development for Ryerson Program

Let second half of Usports begin next week

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->