UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Just noticed Winnipeg released Boland from his ATO a few days ago. Wonder if we see him tomorrow night.

Hodgson (CBJ) and Simpson (WSH) have both been invited to the main camp.

Most AHL camps don't start for 2 more weeks, that's a long time to wait (hotels and food) not to mention the stigma of not getting an invite to the main camp hanging over your head. Hopefully they had an exit interview and he can come to UNB and work on those highlighted items.

I think that's the first time in awhile that a UNB rookie hasn't been invited to the main camp.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Thoughts from what I saw tonight:

Bennett looks like he will fit in quite well in this league, like his style, fast and hard.
Pomeleau looked good
Boland might take a little time to adjust to the AUS game, certainly has talent.
Trainor can still shoot the puck.
Thomas is still not allowed to hit people out there.
Will have to see more action on Parenteau to see how good he can be.
Cooper seemed off tonight.
O'Shaughnessy is still the worst official in this league, he could lose control of a peewee game.

Should be an interesting season.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
I know pre-season needs to be taken with a grain of salt but I was super impressed with Bennett last night. He easily could have had 4 or 5 goals instead of 3. Gardiner was saying he was tied for 1st in fitness testing and after seeing him post-game I believe it; the guy is freaking jacked. He and Boland looked good together on the PP.

Would have liked to see Parenteau get tested a bit more, but he at least looked like a pretty good puck handler.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Bennett reminds me of Kyle Bailey a bit....works hard/great on face-offs/can play on both the top PP and PK unit/good defensively but can also put up the points.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don’t think he did. He was listed in the box score for the BC game, but it didn’t show any “stats” under his name.

Heading into the season with 19 skaters/1 spare is certainly risky. Perhaps someone is added in the next week or so like Maillet was in 2013.

EDIT - Especially risky given they play 18 games before Christmas. I know they have been quite healthy in recent years but they could quickly find themselves in a bind.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Is the Gleaner going to print Bruce Hallihan's season preview? I haven't seen it yet.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I saw something that said only the season overview article was going to be in print with the team by team breakdown online only. Dumb decision if that’s true as the only physical copy of the Gleaner I buy all year is the one with the AUS preview in it.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This is the first year that the Daily Gleaner did not print Bruce Hallihan's complete team by team preview. If you do not have online access to the Daily Gleaner, yes, you are out of luck.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Just a follow up to Goulet, he has been cut but the Laval Rocket and re-assigned to the ECHL Brampton Beast. Curious to see if he reports there or heads to the CIS?

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Just finished reading Bruce's piece, very well done as usual and Enemy Lines is the best part for me yet again, love those quotes.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I couldn't help but notice that the Gleaner didn't cover UNB's home opener.

The Gleaner's deadline has changed to 5pm from 10pm, so we will likely not see any post-game stories in the print version of the paper every again (eg. Wednesday night game story would not appear until Friday, if you want to submit one - which is kind of silly at that point). This change really stinks, as you now have to read the online version if you want to get the low-down on what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad