UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
What a huge addition Hodgson is. Will replace Beauvillier nicely up front. Although I think he has the potential to be an elite scorer in the league.

Little worried about goaltending right now. A couple CHL goaltenders I thought would be a good fit have committed to other teams. Perhaps they have someone who red shirted last year that we don't know about yet?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Rylan Parenteau from Tri-Cities is the name that has been thrown around recently...he has decent numbers.

I've been curious about what the Saulnier's are doing this year? They have one more year of eligibility don't they? I don't see where they have signed anywhere yet haha...

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I think that those questions will be answered over the next couple of days/week, with the start of the UNB camps this week, you will see a bunch of new faces working the camps. I know of one that has already been seen and it was a rumoured name that has come up a fews times in this thread.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Huge news.

I thought he had signed pro?

I believe that he has a camp invite, don't quote me on that though. And according to Victor Findlay, there also could be an announcement about Goulet and Rylan Parenteau.

Hearing that announcements from UNB regarding both Alexandre Goulet and Rylan Parenteau are both imminent too.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I haven't done this yet this summer, so I thought it would be a good time to see how the roster is shaping up...

GONE - ELIGIBILITY/PRO (9)
G - Etienne Marcoux
F - Rob Mignardi
F - Cam Braes
F - Philippe Halley
F - Philippe Maillet
F - Francis Beauvillier
F - Cameron Critchlow
D - Jordan Murray
D - Matt Petgrave

RETURNING (15)
G - Alex Dubeau (3rd year)
F - Dylan Willick (5th year)
F - Mike Thomas (5th year)
F - Cameron Brace (4th year)
F - Matt Boudens (4th year)
F - Christopher Caissy (4th year)
F - Peter Trainor (4th year)
F - Stephen Anderson (3rd year)
F - Chris Clapperton (3rd year)
F - Oliver Cooper (2nd year)
F - Mark Simpson (2nd year)
D - Randy Gazzola (4th year)
D - Colin Suellentrop (4th year)
D - Marcus McIvor (3rd year)
D - Matt Murphy (2nd year)

CONFIRMED RECRUITS (7)
G - Rylan Parenteau
D - Trey Lewis
D - Tristan Pomerleau
D - Olivier Leblanc
F - Hayden Hodgson
F - Kris Bennett
F - Tyler Boland

RUMOURED/POTENTIAL RECRUITS
F - Alexandre Goulet
F - Kameron Kielly
F - Keanu Yamamoto

Some thoughts:

- The amount of talent and production they have lost this summer still boggles my mind.
- Despite losing 9 guys they still have 8 guys going into either their 4th or 5th year....so we could see another significant turnover next season.
- Right now they are at 2 G/7 D/13 F. With 20 skaters in the fold they have the room to add two more.
- Since they already have 7 defencemen on the roster I can't imagine them eyeing any others, unless it is a guy that is too good to pass up. That leads me to predict that they will fill out the remaining two spots with forwards.
- Goulet is the guy that has long been rumoured to be coming so I am holding out hope that this is still the case as I think he can be a big-time scorer in the AUS.
- It will be interesting to see if they leave a roster spot open for a possible Christmas addition. If that is the case they will only be adding one more player before the season begins.
- The defence is looking pretty solid, although it's not a stretch to say that without Murray and Petgrave they won't be as dangerous offensively back there.
- I think the scoring will have to be more 'by committee' this year. If guys like Brace/Anderson/Caissy take another step this year and really solidify themselves as top-6 guys + continued improvement/responsibility for Simpson/Cooper that would go a long way in offsetting the offense they have lost.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm still of the opinion that they should leave Peter Trainor off the roster until at least Christmas.
If they don't land another recruit then they can add him.

Freddy Beach

Jun 14, 2013
I'm still of the opinion that they should leave Peter Trainor off the roster until at least Christmas.
If they don't land another recruit then they can add him.

Why should they leave him off the roster? They are already two spots below the cap with two hopeful recruits starting the year in pro. Trainor provide more offensive punch then Cooper would. He could get a shot of being in the top six and make up for some of the offence that will be missed with the departed players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad