UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Unb

Yeah, the Thomas thing is ridiculous. He gets called at every possible opportunity or scrum and yet mid-way through the 3rd, he took a vicious cross-check in the back after the whistle with the ref looking right at it and nothing called. He would've been thrown out if he did that.

So, UNB loses a very key and experienced player in Antoine Houde Caron. With the addition of Halley, the cap is maxed out at 22 players?
You would think that losing a player to a transfer would pave the way for Duffy to be inserted into the roster?
Since the game with Maine, counts as only his (Duffy) second of 3 games needed in order to get into the V-Red roster, Will we see the V- Reds re-schedule their exhibition game with Air Force?? Seem's far fetched?

I hope we are done talking about Thomas getting a bad rap with the refs, it's getting a bit old folks!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
A couple things -

1) Trying to schedule another exhibition game this time of year would be a pain in the ass. You know no CIS team is going to do anything that might help out UNB...and most NCAA teams probably already have their schedule maxed out/are too far away to make it work.

2) Why would you want to waste a full year of Duffy's eligibility for 2 or 3 games?

3) Not to mention...why is everyone seemingly assuming UNB is even going to make the University Cup this year? For the first time in a long time they aren't the favourites and haven't shown anything this year that leads me to believe they can beat Acadia, especially without home ice advantage.

4) Having said that, if they were to make it through the AUS I think they would be good enough to win the UCup even without Duffy.

I don't know...trying to fit in another exhibition game at this time of year, with the sole goal of getting Duffy to be eligible for games that UNB might not even be playing, in a year where their chances of making the University Cup are lower than they have been in quite some time...seems like more trouble than its worth.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
A couple things -

1) Trying to schedule another exhibition game this time of year would be a pain in the ass. You know no CIS team is going to do anything that might help out UNB...and most NCAA teams probably already have their schedule maxed out/are too far away to make it work.

2) Why would you want to waste a full year of Duffy's eligibility for 2 or 3 games?

3) Not to mention...why is everyone seemingly assuming UNB is even going to make the University Cup this year? For the first time in a long time they aren't the favourites and haven't shown anything this year that leads me to believe they can beat Acadia, especially without home ice advantage.

4) Having said that, if they were to make it through the AUS I think they would be good enough to win the UCup even without Duffy.

I don't know...trying to fit in another exhibition game at this time of year, with the sole goal of getting Duffy to be eligible for games that UNB might not even be playing, in a year where their chances of making the University Cup are lower than they have been in quite some time...seems like more trouble than its worth.

Exactly, another exhibition game will not be in the cards, that's what I meant by far fetched.
This team has a lot of first year players and will need to find another gear, soon. On the other hand, Acadia hasn't shown any sign of slowing down, like they did in the second half of last year, when they led the AUS in points at the Christmas break. Acadia lost little and has basically the same team as last year, more experienced and improoved.
I do think that UNB has the potential to hit another stride, but will they??

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB does not have to play a NCAA or CIS team in exhibition.

Within CIS, an athlete shall be charged with a year of eligibility for each year of competition where the athlete participated in any one of the following:
a) With the exception of curling, participation in three or more non-conference competitions or tournaments, wherein any number of competitions that occur during three consecutive days shall count as one non-conference competition for the purposes of this rule. This includes participation within a club or community league, beyond CIS conference competition, during the academic year.
A non-conference or exhibition competition shall be recognized as such if any one of the following conditions exists (unless otherwise designated as a Conference competition):
i. The competition is scheduled and publicized in advance;
ii. Official score is kept;
iii. Individual or team standings are maintained;
iv. Admission is charged;
v. Teams are regularly formed or team rosters are predetermined; or
vi. Team uniforms are utilized.

They can play the local Beer League team as long as they wear UNB colours in the game.

Duffy will not be staying at UNB for 5 years, so the lost year is not an issue for him.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB does not have to play a NCAA or CIS team in exhibition.

Within CIS, an athlete shall be charged with a year of eligibility for each year of competition where the athlete participated in any one of the following:
a) With the exception of curling, participation in three or more non-conference competitions or tournaments, wherein any number of competitions that occur during three consecutive days shall count as one non-conference competition for the purposes of this rule. This includes participation within a club or community league, beyond CIS conference competition, during the academic year.
A non-conference or exhibition competition shall be recognized as such if any one of the following conditions exists (unless otherwise designated as a Conference competition):
i. The competition is scheduled and publicized in advance;
ii. Official score is kept;
iii. Individual or team standings are maintained;
iv. Admission is charged;
v. Teams are regularly formed or team rosters are predetermined; or
vi. Team uniforms are utilized.

They can play the local Beer League team as long as they wear UNB colours in the game.

Duffy will not be staying at UNB for 5 years, so the lost year is not an issue for him.

No, Duffy won't play 5 and I am pretty sure that this will be Carroll's final year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Hmm, that's interesting...I have just assumed it would have to be an NCAA/CIS team.

Completely off topic...I believe this is the last year of MacDougall's 5 year contract extension and there hasn't been much (any?) talk about it...anyone know what the status is on any kind of extension? Have any talks taken place? Or is he going to see what jobs might be available over the summer?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Is this Carrolls' 3rd year or 4th? I think only his 3rd.....

Maybe Gardiner is waiting to win another CIS championship and ask for a bag of money. I can't see him leaving UNB unless it's a real good fit for him.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
- I think I would sit Maclise for a bit and give Willick some more time. Maclise hasn't really done much and Willick brings above average face-off skills and penalty killing (which would be good to give top line guys like Culligan/MacNeil/Maillet, who also kill penalties, a rest).

Willick is also a much better skater than Maclise.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
As for Carroll, apparently the neck injury he suffered when he got mugged in the gold-medal FISU game is bothering him. He won't play against Moncton either Saturday.

Speaking of which, how disgraceful was Kazakhstan in that game? Absolutely brutal. Lucky more guys didn't come back injured.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I think that I had originally brought it up about Mike, I missed the first penalty on him (goaltender interference), but the second one was ridiculous, I believe it is the same ref that called him for the check to the head in the STU game and nothing when the STU player speared him. One thing that I did say last night, at least Gardiner is not punishing him for the penalties, because he is still getting good ice time (and deserving it). It's a shame that the zebra's think that we pay to come see them try to put on a show.

The goalie interference call happened right in front of me, and it was pretty weak. Thomas was in on the forecheck and as he neared the goal line, Parks came out "to play the puck", bumped into Thomas, and went down.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
The goalie interference call happened right in front of me, and it was pretty weak. Thomas was in on the forecheck and as he neared the goal line, Parks came out "to play the puck", bumped into Thomas, and went down.

Yeah, he definitely is not going to get the benefit of the doubt on that one.
I may be blind on this one, but think that Carroll will finish out his degree (whether it is 3, 4 or 5 years), of course I would like to see him finish out his eligibility with the reds. As for MacLise, I have expected more from him, especially with his size and skill. Think that he will come around. Surprised that no one has mentioned Jordan Murray, really think that he has got his game going, and plays with that edge.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Critchlow with two tonight, gw and one to put it away late in the third (thought it was one that Lemay should have had). MacDougall and Braes with the others.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Huge game coming up this weekend against Acadia...almost certainly have to get the two points (especially with it being at home) if they want to finish 1st.

All things equal and baring an upset - UNB will need to win their games against Acadia to finish in first (likely by 1 pt).

SFX was close to doing us a big favour on Saturday (Acadia won 2-1).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
20 Wins

For UNB to achieve 20 wins this season, they need to win 6 out of the last 10. With two remain against STU and DAL each for 4 wins - they need 2 from the remaining 6 (Home vs ACD, UdeM, SFX & SMU and Visitor vs UPEI & ACD).

If they do achieve this, which currently it looks like they will, it will be the seventh consecutive season of 20 or more wins.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Duffy for Houde-Carron

I suspect UNB has already submitted a request to get a roster spot back due to the graduation of Houde-Caron.

Since we haven't seen Duffy, we can assume that the League is unwavering in its enforcement of the 22 man roster.

Shame really - the intent of each program is to graduate players and in this case a team get's penalized for fulling its mandate. :shakehead

Short Stay
It's also interesting to note that Houde-Caron only played 2 years for UNB - must have taken a lot of courses in advance and over the Summer to finish his degree in 2 1/2 seasons.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I suspect UNB has already submitted a request to get a roster spot back due to the graduation of Houde-Caron.

Since we haven't seen Duffy, we can assume that the League is unwavering in its enforcement of the 22 man roster.

Shame really - the intent of each program is to graduate players and in this case a team get's penalized for fulling its mandate. :shakehead

Short Stay
It's also interesting to note that Houde-Caron only played 2 years for UNB - must have taken a lot of courses in advance and over the Summer to finish his degree in 2 1/2 seasons.

The question is, are they now at a 21 man roster? If so, they should be allowed to fill it back up to 22.
If their at 22, then no.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Short Stay

Houdy had earned a number of CEGEP credits while he played in the Q, which must have allowed him to knock off a year and half (3 terms) of credits towards his BBA. He could have been taking summer session courses as well, but I don't know that for a fact.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The question is, are they now at a 21 man roster? If so, they should be allowed to fill it back up to 22.
If their at 22, then no.

I believe they are at a 21 man roster now. And I see your point. But the rule, good or bad, states that once a player has played a game they are part of the 22 man roster.

What if Houdy leaves and 2 other players are academically ineligible for the second half? Then you are down to 19 skaters. Then you get an injury or two. The result is the same. You are still limited by the cap.

It's kind of a dumb rule and was kind of a knee jerk reaction. But, this rule never happens if UNB is not 'perceived' to be stocking the cupboard with top tier players.

We have already discussed, ad nauseam, the 15 Intermural guys at Dal and the number of players at Cal and UofA and don't want to go there again.

Be honest here. If Ben Duffy had joined the team in October and Shea Kewin joined in January, would the outrage be the same?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
It's kind of a dumb rule and was kind of a knee jerk reaction. But, this rule never happens if UNB is not 'perceived' to be stocking the cupboard with top tier players.

Be honest here. If Ben Duffy had joined the team in October and Shea Kewin joined in January, would the outrage be the same?

Probably not, but it seems stranger in this case if Houde-Carron starts to play for Concordia in the same season. :amazed: It should be a two-way street (if a Concordia player graduated and wanted to come to UNB at Christmas for his MBA).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Quebec Equivalencies

Short Stay

Note Quebec universities require three years to complete a bachelor's degree after successfully completing CEGEP.

Quebec CEGEP equivalencies are such that they could generate at least one year university credit at other Canadian universities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad