UNB ordered to reinstate women's hockey

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
UNB seeks judicial review of order to reinstate women's hockey

I wonder how much of an impact STU cancelling the Men's program had on their decision? Both cancellations had to do with cost.

So presumably one complaint and STU has to reinstate the men's program? Cost is not an acceptable excuse? Economics be damned?

Since the Court feels they can force people to pay for something they have no interest in, should they not also force the students and maybe the people of Fredericton to go watch the games?

Or maybe just those sentenced to community service..."you are hear by sentenced to watch 5 games...and no sneaking out before the final whistle regardless of the score...here are your tickets"

Might be cheaper in the long run than throwing them in jail...the Courts/judicial/penal system can effectively sponsor the team rather than just forcing others to spend money.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
I agree with the appeal. This is not about women's hockey to me. It is about the many programs across the country that for whatever reason don't offer same sports for both men and women and their right to make that decision.

Stu and Mta don't have men's hockey. There are more than twice as many aus women's vball teams than men's.

Don't tell me the situations are different. It comes down to choice.

I hope unb is successful for that reason. But my bet is they wont be.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
I agree with the appeal. This is not about women's hockey to me. It is about the many programs across the country that for whatever reason don't offer same sports for both men and women and their right to make that decision.

Stu and Mta don't have men's hockey. There are more than twice as many aus women's vball teams than men's.

Don't tell me the situations are different. It comes down to choice.

I hope unb is successful for that reason. But my bet is they wont be.

As I understand it - and I could be totally mistaken - what the human rights tribunal said was that men's and women's sport should be treated equal. UNB didn't treat women's hockey equally to men's.

If UNB is forced to bring back WH then the equilibrium between men's and women's sport will be blown. There will be more women playing varsity sports at UNB then men. To be equal one of women's swimming or volleyball etc. etc. would need to be cut.

I was talking to someone that mentioned the timing of UNB's decision to appeal is curious in relation to recent happenings at STU. STU now has WH and Cross country as CIS sports. This is not an equal amount of both genders and therefore by the same standard set by the UNB decision MH should be reinstated. The CIS is watching this closely and it is making them nervous because it is almost like Title IX in the US could be imposed on them.

I really don't know but things could get interesting.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
As I understand it - and I could be totally mistaken - what the human rights tribunal said was that men's and women's sport should be treated equal. UNB didn't treat women's hockey equally to men's.

If UNB is forced to bring back WH then the equilibrium between men's and women's sport will be blown. There will be more women playing varsity sports at UNB then men. To be equal one of women's swimming or volleyball etc. etc. would need to be cut.

I was talking to someone that mentioned the timing of UNB's decision to appeal is curious in relation to recent happenings at STU. STU now has WH and Cross country as CIS sports. This is not an equal amount of both genders and therefore by the same standard set by the UNB decision MH should be reinstated. The CIS is watching this closely and it is making them nervous because it is almost like Title IX in the US could be imposed on them.

I really don't know but things could get interesting.

Essentially the courts have taken a principle to an extreme. If it is upheld to that extreme going forward there will be no more CIS sports left to play at any level.

What is it about Women's Hockey that is special? There are 3 times as many (I don't know exactly) boys in Minor Hockey in Canada as there are girls. Should UNB be forced to have 2 more men's teams? Why would that not be fair? I realize this argument borders on absurd. Why would the Courts not recognize their decision is steering things in that same direction?

Why is women's club team not a reasonable choice for UNB?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Maybe I'm completely off-base but I've always felt that this wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal if it wasn't women's hockey and if we didn't live in Canada.

If it was CIS women's volleyball/basketball/soccer I doubt you would see the uproar. Same as if this was a school in any other country (where hockey isn't held in the same regard as here) cutting their women's hockey team.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Maybe I'm completely off-base but I've always felt that this wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal if it wasn't women's hockey and if we didn't live in Canada.

If it was CIS women's volleyball/basketball/soccer I doubt you would see the uproar. Same as if this was a school in any other country (where hockey isn't held in the same regard as here) cutting their women's hockey team.

We don't even see the same uproar when it's a men's hockey team cut. The only real complains I've heard about STU's men's team being cut are the ones calling out the double standard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad