Proposal: Umberger

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
Since Pittsburgh is one of the few places I could see RJ waiving his NTC for, I'd be interested to see what they'd give us.

We got him for a first round pick, is he still worth that?

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I really think RJ is on thin ice here. His performance between last season and so far this season is not good enough. He is not top six material at this point. He is more suited to a checking line role. If the Penguins are willing to give up a young player with top six potential, I think the Jackets would have to listen.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'll take a 2nd and that "bum" (as pitt fans like to refer to him as) Paul Martin as a cap dump ;)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The obvious choice is Eric Tangradi. However, he is on a dangerously Brassard-ish career arc. (There are significant differences in how those two players have produced, but given their respective draft positions and the fact that there is a "Is Tangradi a Bust?" thread on the Pens' forum...)

But a 24-year-old wing who's 6'4" (and full of muscles) around 220 with top-6 potential but who hasn't found a fit in his current location would certainly be a discussion point.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
The obvious choice is Eric Tangradi. However, he is on a dangerously Brassard-ish career arc. (There are significant differences in how those two players have produced, but given their respective draft positions and the fact that there is a "Is Tangradi a Bust?" thread on the Pens' forum...)

But a 24-year-old wing who's 6'4" (and full of muscles) around 220 with top-6 potential but who hasn't found a fit in his current location would certainly be a discussion point.

I agree, but would the Pens? Even up or something added? From whom?

CBJFan19*

Jan 22, 2013
i would ask for their first, its not like its going to be a top 25 anyways, very likley bottom 5 which means chances are they wont get someone to play for them for 2-4 years at that pick while Umberger could be a 40-50 point guy maybe better for the next 2-4 with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, etc

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Umberger has looked horrible. Probably wouldn't take much for me to want to deal him if we didn't have a shortage of wingers.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That anyone would think that the Penguins would be interested in RJ Umberger is very, very, very funny:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Having said that, he will score at least 2 goals tonite.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

What separates Tangardi from someone like Colton Gillies? Big-bodied winger with a physical edge, and minimal production at the NHL level.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Is it just me or are the visiting posters not actually making proposals? They are asking us to make proposals. Pretty darn lazy.

I doubt they are looking at RJ, so I'm really not going to invest any time in it.

Tangradi doesn't do a whole lot for me.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Is it just me or are the visiting posters not actually making proposals? They are asking us to make proposals.

I doubt they are looking at RJ, so I'm really not going to invest any time in it.

Tangradi doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I find that's best for all of these type of threads.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I might be tempted for the Pens first or a guy like Brooks Orpik. Otherwise, I don't see how this makes us better.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
3 more years after this one at 4.5mil cash per, I am sure ownership and management would take a 3rd and Tang just to be happy to get rid of the money.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I find that's best for all of these type of threads.

Yeah, it's a total waste of time. It's not like there is even a rumor that the Pens are interested in RJ or that the Jackets are shopping RJ.

My recommendation is that the OP come back when there is a hint that this is beyond total fiction.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I might be tempted for the Pens first or a guy like Brooks Orpik. Otherwise, I don't see how this makes us better.

Addition by subtraction? I can't bear the thought of Umberger for 4 more years after this one. I'd dump him for whatever we could get and use his $ (plus some) to try and lure Perry here during FA.

Of course I don't see the Pens wanting him.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
3 more years after this one at 4.5mil cash per, I am sure ownership and management would take a 3rd and Tang just to be happy to get rid of the money.

Not sure I agree, but this is just another example of Scott Howson's mangling of this franchise's salary cap. We'd be better off to have an entire squad of RFAs than to overpay guys like Brassard, Umberger, Commodore, Huselius, etc. etc. You overpay for IMPACT players, not role players.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I suspect that RJ would find his "lost step" if he was suddenly added to the Pens roster. I am not a big RJ fan anymore. have not been for a couple of years. But being on aCup contender would, I suspect, light a fire in his gut.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I know this is a "what if" thread, but i don't see how the pens fit RJ into their salary structure without at least Martin coming back. One would think that they should be looking for a young sniper to ride shotgun with Sid, rather than someone like Umberger.

GrimReeper

Apr 7, 2009
I look away and Umberger has become the punching bag. I actually thought he played well the last two games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad