3. Brad Boyes

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Leafaholix said:
If they pan out...

1. RJ Umberger
2. Andy Hilbert
3. Brad Boyes

I wonder what the answer would be if Boyes was still with the Leafs........

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Bruwinz20 said:

He wouldnt be on any kind of list as we all know that Maple Leaf prospects are over rated and never amount to anything.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
shakes said:
He wouldnt be on any kind of list as we all know that Maple Leaf prospects are over rated and never amount to anything.

I don't know what you're talking about. Steen and Colaiacovo are highly regarded around here.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Boyes
Aulin
Umberger
Hilbert.

While I agree that many Leaf fans tend to bash a player once they are no longer a Maple Leaf, I find that many non-Leaf fans tend to bash a prospect because they ARE Leaf property.

Colaiacovo and Steen are recent exceptions because well, you can't really argue (too much) against their upsides.

However, I'm willing to bet if a Leaf fan made a post a few months ago about the strength of their system and mentioned the likes of Kondratiev and Immonen, they would have ridiculed.

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
I think Brad Boyes is incredibly overrated. Already sent packing twice at the tender age of 21 and with all of 1 NHL game under his belt....

I have never seen Umberger play

Hilbert may become a 3rd liner.. at least he's an NHL player.. he wins by default.

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
I think San Jose sending Boyes packing for Curtis Brown says all anyone needs to say about Boyes as an NHL'er.

Leaf fans crying about trading lil Brad away for Owen Nolan should shut up and admit that was one of Quinn's best moves.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Boyes and Hilbert will have there shot next season to prove they are capable. The Bruins have Knuble, Murray, Rolston, Nylander up front who are all UFA's. One will probably go leaving a spot or two opened.

Timmer

Jun 4, 2002
Oshawa, Ontario
Visit site
Bruwinz20 said:

Wow, gee, that wasn't a very predictable response now was it...... :shakehead

If Boyes were still a leaf, then you guys wouldn't be asking the question. You would be stating that he was another wasted draft pick by the pathetic leafs management that will never pan out.

The fact that he returned Mr Jillson, who Boston fans previously had been saying was an excellent prospect speaks for itself. At least in my opinion.

Will he be better than that group, ...... I don't think he will lag behind them, and he could very well be the best of the 4.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm not exactly pleased that he is back in our conference, as I would rather see him be a good NHL'er in the west, where he couldn't hurt us as much....

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
He didn't return Jillson at all. San Jose got a career checker named Curtis Brown for Boyes.

To me that speaks volumes about his NHL potential.

I see him being a fringe NHL'er and exceptional AHL'er much like Michel Picard.

In fact when you look at all the parties involved in that 3 way deal.. you have some overrated prospects (Boyes and Jillson) and one overrated dman (Delmore) and a barely able to play in the NHL forward (Brown)... not a big deal at all .. Buffalo did well tho as Jillson might develop still.

Sammy*

highstickingyerface said:
He didn't return Jillson at all. San Jose got a career checker named Curtis Brown for Boyes.

To me that speaks volumes about his NHL potential.

I see him being a fringe NHL'er and exceptional AHL'er much like Michel Picard.

In fact when you look at all the parties involved in that 3 way deal.. you have some overrated prospects (Boyes and Jillson) and one overrated dman (Delmore) and a barely able to play in the NHL forward (Brown)... not a big deal at all .. Buffalo did well tho as Jillson might develop still.
I think you underestimate Curtis Brown, both as a player & in how highly valued he is by GM's .

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Hockeycrazed07 said:
Curtis Brown and Marco Sturm have nearly identical career stats in nearly the same amount of games. Could it be that Boyes got SJ a Marco Sturm? Who would complain about that?

~Crazed.
~Still not a Sharks fan.
Good Call!

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
Curtis Brown is no Marco Sturm but keep dreaming.

You may notice Brown's numbers have been going down the past few years to the point where he was essentially a penalty killing 4th line center for a non playoff team this year, while I believe Sturm was your second best scoring forward until the unfortunate ankle/leg injury.

Now perhaps Brown adds things that can't be measured in numbers and stats talk but I have heard all about this Boyes guy for years from admittedly delusional Leaf fans who were devastated he was dealt last year for Nolan (they talked as if Boyes was the best prospect in the world).. just would seem if he is such a great prospect you would get something more than a checking line center in return. It isn't as if San Jose lacks in defensive forwards.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Again, let me preface this by once again stating that I'm not a Sharks fan. (I admit, however, that I am a season ticket holder that doesn't get to most of the games. Grumble grumble.)

Curtis Brown is one of many in Buffalo who have been stifled. Most people are blaming Lindy Ruff for it, but IMO that's a cop-out. Brown has to take some of the blame.

That said, he's coming into a town that is gaining a reputation for taking burnt-out weakness and turning into key cogs in the team. See Nils Ekman, for example.

Now, nobody is seriously comparing CuBro to Sturm. That said, he's closer to Sturm than a 4th liner in SJ, and SJ is a far better team than is Buffalo, at the moment. The fact that a guy who seriously tries to poke holes in SJ at any given opportunity is saying this should be telling.

SJ won the deal immediately (where is Boyes, again?), and long-term, CuBro is worth more than his production on the ice. He gives some of the AHL boys (Goc, Stevenson, etc.) time to mature, and allows the team to draft with the future in mind, not the present. Further, he's about as key as it gets in the locker room. (You know, where the Rangers have lacked despite spending millions, and teams like Minnesota last year and SJ this year do well in, despite dwindling payrolls...surely you see the point of all of this...I hope...) He's the hardest-working defensively of anybody traded (I hear that's good in the playoffs), and always finds something positive, which is key for morale.

Now, you can say what you want about Buffalo or Boston. Each won in varying degrees. That said, SJ can't look at this deal as a bad thing. CuBro fits in well here, and will for awhile.

~Crazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad