Confirmed with Link: Umberger Bought Out (June 2016)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The league is full of low scoring 3rd and 4th liners, and most of them aren't particularly great defensively. It's the natural result of having 400+ forward spots available around the league.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=0&type=individual&sort=ipoints60&sortdir=ASC

I know, and I'm saying that most of them are likely a better choice than Umberger because I assume most of them are younger and most of them probably have at least one thing they're good at, even if it's just faceoffs or fighting or whatever. Umberger doesn't have any special skills so there's no reason to pick him over any one of those younger players.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
A little surprised that Umberger was bought out, but if it makes the negotiations with Schenn and Gudas easier for Hextall, I can see why it had to happen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am not at all surprised that Umberger was bought out, but I sure as hell am happy!

He is a completely worthless player, and his $3 million in savings can be used immediately to either sign a better replacement or give us additional cap space as a cushion for after Schenn and Gudas are re-signed. The $1.6 million loss in 16-17 is a small price to pay for this.

After Lecavalier officially retires, we will have roughly $12.75 million in cap space now to re-sign them. Schenn will get around $5 million. Gudas should be around $3 million. That leaves us with $4.75 million to sign Cousins, maybe (but hopefullynot) Manning, and a forward upgrade. If the cap looks tight again after everyone is re-signed, we can still try to move Streit or Read and free up an extra $3.6 to $5.5.

We have a lot of flexibility.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Can't believe how useless he was coming back but he did it in class and without complaining. I'll never forget the guy killing MTL in the playoffs. Happy for him to make a bunch of money and for us to move on from his contract and roster blocking space.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My guess is the NMC pretty much sealed his fate. IIRC early this past year when the Flyers had a run on injuries Hextall had to do some maneuvering to make things work with Vinny because of his NMC. I believe Vinny actually got into he lineup because they couldn't afford to call up Cousins or Leier.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Good. That cap hits easy to deal with when a team isn't a Cup contender and isn't sinking with a contract like Vinny's.

Kind of amazing how much dead weight has been trashed in the last year or so. As far as Umberger goes, it's a shame. Was one of my favorite players when he was with us originally. Great heart-and-soul guy by all accounts.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Can't believe how useless he was coming back but he did it in class and without complaining. I'll never forget the guy killing MTL in the playoffs. Happy for him to make a bunch of money and for us to move on from his contract and roster blocking space.
Well said. Quoted for emphasis.

Last edited:

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Umberger united us by giving us a guy to collectively rag on. Who will be the guy next year? Manning still?

Thanks for your services umberger. Always a team guy and conducted himself with class. His purpose the whole time was to dump some salary so he is finally fulfilling his duties.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It is the right move. Taylor Leier is knocking on the door, and we should be able to find another forward under a million dollars, if necessary. The dead money next year shouldn't come into play.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
It is the right move. Taylor Leier is knocking on the door, and we should be able to find another forward under a million dollars, if necessary. The dead money next year shouldn't come into play.

what is his play style 2-way?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Leier is kinda like a Raffl-type, I think. Doesn't have top 6 skill but wouldn't kill a line of put there for a short amount of time. Smart, fast, gritty, exactly what you want in the bottom 6.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Leier is kinda like a Raffl-type, I think. Doesn't have top 6 skill but wouldn't kill a line of put there for a short amount of time. Smart, fast, gritty, exactly what you want in the bottom 6.

I think a Read-type (not the peak Read who was a 20/20 guy & a top sixer) would be more of an adapt comparison than Raffl. Raffl's a bigger player by a good margin who plays a more heavier game than Leier. Raffl's biggest asset is his strength on & off the puck. Leier more so depends on his skating & speed but will get dirty if needed like Read despite not having the ideal frame for it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think a Read-type (not the peak Read who was a 20/20 guy & a top sixer) would be more of an adapt comparison than Raffl. Raffl's a bigger player by a good margin who plays a more heavier game than Leier. Raffl's biggest asset is his strength on & off the puck. Leier more so depends on his skating & speed but will get dirty if needed like Read despite not having the ideal frame for it.

Yeah, you're probably right on that one. I don't expect him to hit 20 goals like Read used to, but if he can PK and score a bit then I'd be thrilled.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Think he's a 4th liner on a good team that can slide up in the lineup in a pinch.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Lost a lot of intangibles and structure with this departure, those are big shoes to fill so I hope we find someone up to the task

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
A little surprised that Umberger was bought out, but if it makes the negotiations with Schenn and Gudas easier for Hextall, I can see why it had to happen.

Not surprised. This was planned the day Umberger returned here (unless he scored 20+ goals...but even then....). To all the Hartnell trade naysayers...the cap and and the expansion draft is why this makes sense.

Hextall is not interested in short term gains. He's wants to build a contender the right way (and I hope ownership still allows this to happen).

The future is one year closer now and Hextall's decision making just got a little easier. Well done.

He was a good soldier in his day. Enjoy retirement Umberger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad