Confirmed with Link: Umberger Bought Out (June 2016)

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I see both sides. Yes, the bottom 6 needs to be better. It seems like the the 4th line will stay in tact. 3rd line is question mark. If Raffl goes down to 3rd line and Laughton plays the other wing, then do you try to upgrade from Cousins? Cousins goes to 4th line? Benched?

I'm just thinking, I don't see Hextall signing or acquiring a 3MM dollar 3rd line C. Not right now.

I'd love to get Girgensons. The way I would work it would be :

Raffl/Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Raffl/Read - Couturier - Schenn/Simmonds
Raffl/Read/Cousins - Girgensons - Simmonds/Laughton
McDonald/PEB - Laughton/Cousins/Raffl - White/VV

Lots of flexibility.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
So it was basically

4.6M this year or 1.6 this year and 1.5 next year?

I guess this only depends on Hextall's plans. Wants more flexibility this year at the expense of 1.5M next year. I'm fine with it.

So, basically, bring up Leier to replace RJ and the combined savings will still pay a big chunk of Schenn's raise....

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Schenn* - Giroux - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Voracek
Laughton - ????? - Read
Bellemare - ???? - VdV
???

MDZ - Gudas*
MacDonald - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Streit
Schultz

Looks like 3 spots, and I suspect that Schenn and Gudas come in close to $7.5m, leaving $5m

3C = $3m
Cousins = ~925k
13th forward = 700k?

That still leaves about a half million, no?
You actuall may be right because Cap friendly had Lyon as part as next year's number so it would be about $5.4 after Schenn and Gudas (I think $7.5 is wishful think unless both sign shorter term deals).
7th defenseman and 13th forward would be making approx 700k so $1.4 million between them. So that leaves $4.0 for two more forward spots. If Cousins makes it, it would leave about $3 at the current cap. If the escalator is used, the cap could even rise $2 million, although without it it could fall.

I still think some salary would have to be moved. I don't think it wise to get right to the cap because it would hamstring on future call ups during the season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd love to get Girgensons. The way I would work it would be :

Raffl/Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Raffl/Read - Couturier - Schenn/Simmonds
Raffl/Read/Cousins - Girgensons - Simmonds/Laughton
McDonald/PEB - Laughton/Cousins/Raffl - White/VV

Lots of flexibility.

Have a you seen the main boards and his value thread? If his real value is anywhere close to that, no one will be paying it. They expect a young, top 4 LHD in return....even said Sanheim.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Cousins is not a good #3c not even close, he's there due to the lack of depth

I am a huge cousins fan mostly from being a homer from playing against him growing up. But I somewhat agree. He is a pleasant surprise tho. If we had a Bozak as a 3C and legit wingers, I wouldn't mind having a energy 4th line of Cousins PEB XX

Voracek G Simmers
Schenn Couts Konency
Raffl Bozak XXX. (package pick with Read and sign UFA)
Laughton Cousins PEB

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Have a you seen the main boards and his value thread? If his real value is anywhere close to that, no one will be paying it. They expect a young, top 4 LHD in return....even said Sanheim.

I did, I think I offered MDZ in that thread, but I don't think I got a response.
The new thread on him possibly moving to the KHL had a Buffalo fan saying they'd move him for a 2nd or 3rd.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I was excited to have him back. Always liked him.

Shame more production didn't come with him.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Finally...Hextall's rare blemish thus far is gone...

Nice guy...but another recyclable that ultimately was of little to no added value. Medical basket case to boot.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nice.

The old dead weight is slowly being removed. Soon we'll be rid of Streit and Schultz too and the defense will be young, cheap, fast, and skilled.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
you just know he is going to score a goal against the Flyers in his first game against the Flyers next season.
and that will be proceeded with someone starting a was it a mistake to buy him out thread.

You think any team in the league is gonna take him?

I'm guessing Europe or retirement is all that's left for him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You think any team in the league is gonna take him?

I'm guessing Europe or retirement is all that's left for him.

This team still employs an inferior player in VdV, so I do think Umberger will get a cheap contract somewhere.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This team still employs an inferior player in VdV, so I do think Umberger will got a cheap contract somewhere.

Well that's a mistake too. Neither of them belong in the NHL and if they are next year then I'd assume it'll be their last.

VV tricked Hextall into thinking he was competent before he got this new contract and now we're back to the real version of him... not NHL material.

I think most teams could probably find a player on their AHL teams who are super cheap, but also might have the tiniest bit of potential and upside, unlike Umberger. There's simply zero reason to sign him since there isn't a single redeeming part of his game and he's only going to get worse.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
Loved the deal since day one regardless if Hartnell put up 40 goals a year in Columbus. Addition by subtracting nearly $15M in cap space over 3 years never a bad thing. I think little else gets done until after the draft, including Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->