Confirmed with Link: Umberger Bought Out (June 2016)

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
nice..

couple more dead weights and NO resigns to go..

get 'er done Hexy...

ps still no word about coaching staff changes ??? jebus i hope we arent headed into another season with the same staff...

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Can someone please show the breakdown of how this will affect the cap? I'm horrible with buyouts.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Can someone please show the breakdown of how this will affect the cap? I'm horrible with buyouts.

Easiest way to look at it.

He costs us 1.6MM this year and 1.5MM next year.

Savings of 3MM this year and a cost of 1.5MM next year.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
So it was basically

4.6M this year or 1.6 this year and 1.5 next year?

I guess this only depends on Hextall's plans. Wants more flexibility this year at the expense of 1.5M next year. I'm fine with it.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That seems like a poor use of funds. 3MM + a 2nd Round pick for a 3rd Line Center?

Have we given up on Cousins being that guy?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
That seems like a poor use of funds. 3MM + a 2nd Round pick for a 3rd Line Center?

3rd line center at 3M is fine. It is an important position. Cousins can have other roles.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I just don't see Cousins as a center on a shut-down line--particularly not if it also has Laughton. They really need a vet there to take some of the defensive zone starts from the top six.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think the Flyers are currently in a favorable position to do that in their cap situation. Mostly because of Read.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I just don't see Cousins as a center on a shut-down line--particularly not if it also has Laughton. They really need a vet there to take some of the defensive zone starts from the top six.

If they need a shutdown, its going to be Couturier, regardless of situation or line. There is a strong possibility the Flyers will not have a better defensive C on this team for a long time.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
That 3 million and one of our 2nd rounders could fetch us a good #3 C in a trade.
The Flyers still won't have a ton of cap space. With Vinny (probable 250 thousand penalty) and Umberger, the Flyers will have $13.4 to sign 4 forwards and 2 defensemen. Gudas and Schenn will probably eat up close to $8 of that leaving only around $5.4 with 4 spots to fill.

Last edited:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If they need a shutdown, its going to be Couturier, regardless of situation or line. There is a strong possibility the Flyers will not have a better defensive C on this team for a long time.

In terms of match-ups against top lines, I agree. But they should be able to put together another line that can take hard defensive minutes. Giroux really shouldn't need to play that role night in and out.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

It's more about having a bottom six that is at least capable in their own zone. As it is right now, the top six is forced into being used in more defensive situations.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It's more about having a bottom six that is at least capable in their own zone. As it is right now, the top six is forced into being used in more defensive situations.

I see both sides. Yes, the bottom 6 needs to be better. It seems like the the 4th line will stay in tact. 3rd line is question mark. If Raffl goes down to 3rd line and Laughton plays the other wing, then do you try to upgrade from Cousins? Cousins goes to 4th line? Benched?

I'm just thinking, I don't see Hextall signing or acquiring a 3MM dollar 3rd line C. Not right now.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
The Flyers still won't have a ton of cap space. With Vinny (probable 250 thousand penalty) and Umberger, the Flyers will have $12.5 to sign 4 forwards and 2 defensemen. Gudas and Schenn will probably eat up close to $8 of that leaving only $4.5 with 4 spots to fill.

Schenn* - Giroux - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Voracek
Laughton - ????? - Read
Bellemare - ???? - VdV
???

MDZ - Gudas*
MacDonald - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Streit
Schultz

Looks like 3 spots, and I suspect that Schenn and Gudas come in close to $7.5m, leaving $5m

3C = $3m
Cousins = ~925k
13th forward = 700k?

That still leaves about a half million, no?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

No. But we need a defensively responsible C to help out our top 2 C.

Reality is, we use our top 2 offensive lines in defensive situations because the bottom 6 cannot be trusted. So then the bottom 6 get way more offensive zone start than they should instead of being in defensive roles. We are ass backwards.

Cousins would drop to the #4 C role and Belle moved to wing and he can hopefully keep developing. But right now, our bottom 6 doesn't provide scoring, and doesn't provide good D. That needs to change.

We have wingers coming from within who will help, but no C. That's why I would love to draft a C with our first 2 picks, and if we can't find a #3 C thru FA, trade a 2nd if we need to.

And we don't need to spend the 3mill on a #3C. I was only saying that with that 3million, we have more flexibility to fill a very big need for us.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Schenn* - Giroux - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Voracek
Laughton - ????? - Read
Bellemare - ???? - VdV
???

MDZ - Gudas*
MacDonald - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Streit
Schultz

Looks like 3 spots, and I suspect that Schenn and Gudas come in close to $7.5m, leaving $5m

3C = $3m
Cousins = ~925k
13th forward = 700k?

That still leaves about a half million, no?

I don't think Hextall wants to run that class if he doesn't feel like he has too.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
RJ was a good solider just didn't produce in any way. I hope buying him out doesn't affect us too much next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->