Confirmed with Link: UMass LD Zac Jones to join the Rangers!

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Smith
Jones - Bitetto

I’d want “The Kids” comfort zone to be a priority. The vets can adjust more easily, I suppose.

(assuming JT can’t play).

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Okay, so beings that I cannot read the athletic.....a quick lo-down?

Preferably from someone that actually KNOWS? Already have gathered he's gifted offensively. But if he is relatively small, why in God's name has he chosen defense? Expecting a growth spurt of 6", like I did when I was 16? Yeah, 5'4 when 15, following summer 6 foot, same weight. Lol

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Okay, so beings that I cannot read the athletic.....a quick lo-down?

Preferably from someone that actually KNOWS? Already have gathered he's gifted offensively. But if he is relatively small, why in God's name has he chosen defense? Expecting a growth spurt of 6", like I did when I was 16? Yeah, 5'4 when 15, following summer 6 foot, same weight. Lol

If a player spends a decade+ learning specific skills for a position, it requires a ton of athletic skill to replace the inherent mental edge of other players who have had a single positional focus throughout their career. I know Brent Burns and K’Andre Miller have transitioned between offense and defense, but they’re both tremendously gifted in terms of size and athleticism. The average professional player has far too many basic instincts drilled into their brain to realistically transition without major developmental setbacks.

Last edited:

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
He was very shaky on defense in the first period. Got beaten in the neutral zone and overmatched in front of the net, but Igor bailed him out. I didn't notice him as much as the game went on though, so I guess that's good.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He was very shaky on defense in the first period. Got beaten in the neutral zone and overmatched in front of the net, but Igor bailed him out. I didn't notice him as much as the game went on though, so I guess that's good.

If he is am offensive dman you’re supposed to notice him a little even if it was his 1st game. But he played ok. Not an issue, needs to see more but he seems to hav e skating ability/. He did make a good defensive play on of his shifts

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I thought he looked good in his sheltered minutes. That doesn't mean flawless, he has to catch up to everyone around him. I think that year of physical maturity at UMASS would have made him look more competent and up to speed but there's time for that. I think he should realistically go straight to Hartford next year, even if only for the first 10-20 games. I'd say closer to 20+ but who knows. Let him go there, log heavy minutes, let his body/pace of play catch up with the Pro level. I did like what I saw out of him, he was caught out of places at times but there were also some D coverages I really liked and saw some good in his game for a guy his size.

There was one sequence where he was on the ice and there was a scrum in front of the net, believe it was his second shift. It was a lot of quick paced action, right in his griddle in the House around the crease, and stood his own and made the right play. Plenty to look forward to here, whichever team ends up with him.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I liked him in his debut. He laid a nice hit on a Flyer in the defensive zone and was not afraid to make plays in the offensive zone. Dude is tinyyyyyy tho lol

Ha that's why when people mention a Jones - Nils third pairing next year, I'm like 'Umm no'. They'd be tossed around like ragdolls, regardless of the pairings against 3rd/4th lines. Imagine the Islander's 4th line vs. them???

Last edited:

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
We dont need to rush this kid
Hartford all of next year and give him a chance to win a spot in 2022
But 2-3 years in Hartford will be best as he grows and hits the gym
I thought Tarmo looked a little better in his one game. I'd like to see him get a legit chance next year
Ultimately it will be a 4 man(jones, robertson,tarmo,hajek) competition over the next few years for the third pair LD
One hopefully pulls away with the spot, another remains #7 and the other 2 traded
And if jones does win the spot i see trouba or schneider in the future being his only option as a partner. Miller can play with Lundkvist

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I know people will complain about this comment but I dont think you can have a defense that has two or more guys on it the size of fox and jones. Fox is a staple here, Jones looks like he can play at this level but his size stands out. He can obviously overcome it but having multiple d men that size really becomes a factor in the playoffs. I think this situation maybe plays out as a showcase for a move this summer to help in other spots.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Ha that's why when people mention a Jones - Nils third pairing next year, I'm like 'Umm no'. They'd be tossed around like ragdolls, regardless of the pairings against 3rd/4th lines. Imagine the Islander's 4th line vs. them???
I don't understand this comment. The Isles 4th line are all awful players that don't excel at anything besides hitting. They are not offensive threats, they're not strong defensive players, sounds like exactly who I want a puck moving, offense savvy pair to be against. Sure their forecheck and propensity to fly their position for hits might catch them off guard from time to time but like, as a whole package I'm taking that trade off every day lol

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don't understand this comment. The Isles 4th line are all awful players that don't excel at anything besides hitting. They are not offensive threats, they're not strong defensive players, sounds like exactly who I want a puck moving, offense savvy pair to be against. Sure their forecheck and propensity to fly their position for hits might catch them off guard from time to time but like, as a whole package I'm taking that trade off every day lol
upload_2021-4-23_11-47-2.png

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
We dont need to rush this kid
Hartford all of next year and give him a chance to win a spot in 2022
But 2-3 years in Hartford will be best as he grows and hits the gym
I thought Tarmo looked a little better in his one game. I'd like to see him get a legit chance next year
Ultimately it will be a 4 man(jones, robertson,tarmo,hajek) competition over the next few years for the third pair LD
One hopefully pulls away with the spot, another remains #7 and the other 2 traded
And if jones does win the spot i see trouba or schneider in the future being his only option as a partner. Miller can play with Lundkvist

unless the plan is to maximize trade value and trade him. I think he will do fine in NHL, he will play some AHL games this season after NHL season is over.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
If Lundkvist is the real deal then I don't see 3 smallish d-men. But we don't need to make that decision yet. I'd like to get some size in there, like Schneider, when he's ready

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Thought he looked pretty composed with the puck, always had his head up. Processing NHL speed was obviously going to be a huge leap. PP#2 looked so much better with a competent point man. Let the kid "bulk" up and get some seasoning next year.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ

All I'm saying is they always give us fits. And w haven't had a solid 4th line since we went to the finals in '14.

Bolded is exactly what they excel and how they burn us. And they'd be licking their chops when playing against Zac Jones.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He played 9 minutes...he wasn't much of a precense or factor obviously, esp considering all the penalties and it was a big special teams battle. I recall the team got hemmed in a couple times he was out there, i recall him carrying the puck up the ice once on PP2 before dishing it wide to a forward. That's about it. certainly not enough to make any determination on him.

surprised Reunanen didn't get in over him last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad