OT: Um calling any gear heads (car experts or weekend Grease monkeys)

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Good Evening HF habs.

I wish to propose a question to anyone who knows alot about cars or in this case minivans. Family has grown and our second car is going to turn into a van.

Now for the question...

In front of me I have two vans,
One is older , 2013 with 55,000km and apparently single owner.

The other is 2016 but has 78,000km.

Anecdotally, I've heard that a car that old with that Low km has been all city driving which is harder on the vehicle but I dont know for sure.

Hoping anyone with a lot of knowledge on cars can steer me (Get it????) in the right direction.

Price point is roughly the same +- 1000 for both vehicles.

Thanks friends

Last edited:

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016
Also if this is the wrong location for this thread, please let me know where or move it mods.

sorry and thank you

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
You can not just look at price but you have to look at the trimline and options you are getting for that price and will it meet all your needs. But the biggest thing is take them for a test drive because you will not know if you like the vehicle until you drive it.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Good Evening HF habs.

I wish to propose a question to anyone who knows alot about cars or in this case minivans. Family has grown and our second car is going to turn into a van.

Now for the question...

Anecdotally, I've heard that a car that old with that Low km has been all city driving which is harder on the vehicle but I dont know for sure.

Hoping anyone with a lot of knowledge on cars can steer me (Get it????) in the right direction.

Thanks friends

First question I have is what are the brands,

If they are the same or similar in quality then I would take 78,000 highway vs 55,000 local.

Second who owned the vans, for example was it a nice old lady who drives slowly or a JackA** 23 year old car guy like me.

Reactions: angusyoung

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016
First question I have is what are the brands,
Dodge Caravans

If they are the same or similar in quality then I would take 78,000 highway vs 55,000 local.
What make are they?
See above

You can not just look at price but you have to look at the trimline and options you are getting for that price and will it meet all your needs. But the biggest thing is take them for a test drive because you will not know if you like the vehicle until you drive it.

They are basically Identical in terms of all those things and yes, both vans would meet our needs( Stow and go, trailer hitch, seating etc)

One is located in Toronto the other Kingston (where I am) If one is the clear winner (Aka older but lower km, then it saves me a trip to the Covid Capital of Canada. Test Driving both would be best but I am trying to avoid Toronto if possible.

Second who owned the vans, for example was it a nice old lady who drives slowly or a JackA** 23 year old car guy like me.

Unsure, they are both single owners but it is highly unlikely that either of the options of an old lady or young 23 year old would have a mini van. I am assuming it was familys that owned them, as that is what they are geared for. Again, I am assuming regarding the one that is 55,000km it would be mostly local because the car I am trading in is a 2013 chevy cruze and I've got 198,000 km on it.

To all of you, appreciate the responses!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Good Evening HF habs.

Now for the question...

Thanks friends
Depends on the owner of the cars.....was one Krowned and the other not, which car spent time in ones garage, what are the makes of the cars, who used synthetic oil, who was driving the car, were any of the vehicles stored during winter, were they both driven from salt happy roads, any accident history????

on the surface I’d go for the 2016, but many variables here.......

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Unsure, they are both single owners but it is highly unlikely that either of the options of an old lady or young 23 year old would have a mini van. I am assuming it was familys that owned them, as that is what they are geared for. Again, I am assuming regarding the one that is 55,000km it would be mostly local because the car I am trading in is a 2013 chevy cruze and I've got 198,000 km on it.

To all of you, appreciate the responses!

So for me then the biggest factor would be make and model of the vehicle if you don't know much about the owner or how much care they took of the car. But at this point any advice you get won't be that helpful.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would go with the 2016 especially if the vehicles have been exposed to road salt, the frame on that 2013 is now 8 years old and based on the km's it probably sat a lot. The 2016 has roughly 2ok a year of use which also probably means that it was maintained, serviced because it needed to be.

If you have a mechanic that you know/trust I would have him/her look the vehicle over and inspect all of your mounts and front suspension parts plus your subframe in the rear, it could be very telling what might be found. Also, it would be good to attain a carfax report to determine if there were any documented accidents on file. Your Cruze wouldn't have much in the way of book value and neither should the Caravans, I am guessing that the 16 is somewhere in the $12-14,000 range and if so, you can't expect perfection but you should still get a decent van that will give you 2-3 years without too many headaches.

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016
I would go with the 2016 especially if the vehicles have been exposed to road salt, the frame on that 2013 is now 8 years old and based on the km's it probably sat a lot. The 2016 has roughly 2ok a year of use which also probably means that it was maintained, serviced because it needed to be.

If you have a mechanic that you know/trust I would have him/her look the vehicle over and inspect all of your mounts and front suspension parts plus your subframe in the rear, it could be very telling what might be found. Also, it would be good to attain a carfax report to determine if there were any documented accidents on file. Your Cruze wouldn't have much in the way of book value and neither should the Caravans, I am guessing that the 16 is somewhere in the $12-14,000 range and if so, you can't expect perfection but you should still get a decent van that will give you 2-3 years without too many headaches.

Bang on OC71 you guessed the price right. Yes I am aware my Cruze won't fetch much but I am not expecting much either. That was my thoughts as well with respect to the 2013 with less kms and you bring up a good point regarding the regular maintenance on the 2016 that might be lacking on the 2013 that I had no considered.
Basically looking at it as a poor mans pick up truck.
Thank you all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad