Confirmed with Link: Ullmark, 1 year, 1.325 million

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ullmark hasn't shown he is, either, unfortunately. I'd say either is capable of playing well enough that we aren't a bottom 8 team if the team actually improves.

If both goalies are really bad (Buf) or both goalies are really good (NYI), a lot of times that says more about the team in front of the goalies than the goalies themselves.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It does indeed. Definitely has been more solid than Hutton this year, and at 1.35 mil you can't really complain. I think he'll make a good backup if we ever get a legit #1.
At this point, I'm willing to entertain that notion that it's hard establishing yourself as an NHL goalie on a volatile team, and that he may still have some upside. Maybe he will turn into an elite goalie, but right now, I see some things that don't look like they are correctable.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
At this point, I'm willing to entertain that notion that it's hard establishing yourself as an NHL goalie on a volatile team, and that he may still have some upside. Maybe he will turn into an elite goalie, but right now, I see some things that don't look like they are correctable.
Which parts of his game aren't correctable? Just wanna dive in a little deeper here.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Which parts of his game aren't correctable? Just wanna dive in a little deeper here.

So a few things. I'm not sure if it is a fitness/strength issue or not, but he is not the fleetest of foot and he gets way out of position if he needs to react laterally. He seems clumsy/klutzy when he is forced to move and lets inertia carry himself way out of position. He gets floppy and seems to struggle to control those big legs and pads.

Tracking also seems to be an issue for him. He sometimes has absolutely no idea where the puck went when play goes behind the net and then back out into scoring areas - reacts way too slow and can't read the play. Depends on his positioning to cover those lapses.

Lastly, he seem to under-react and make slow decisions when the puck is in his crease and can hesitate covering it up when there is pressure either becuase he is flopping around, or just because he's holding his position.

He stays in that STUPID RVH position way too long at times. Again, this seems to be him leaning on his technique over instinct.

All of the above are 'sometimes', but when he's on, he definitely can make that OMG save, like he was doing with his glove the other night. I think it may be a Jedi thing where he needs to let go of his technique at times and trust his instincts. "Linus... use the force..."

Reactions: valet

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So a few things. I'm not sure if it is a fitness/strength issue or not, but he is not the fleetest of foot and he gets way out of position if he needs to react laterally. He seems clumsy/klutzy when he is forced to move and lets inertia carry himself way out of position. He gets floppy and seems to struggle to control those big legs and pads.

Tracking also seems to be an issue for him. He sometimes has absolutely no idea where the puck went when play goes behind the net and then back out into scoring areas - reacts way too slow and can't read the play. Depends on his positioning to cover those lapses.

Lastly, he seem to under-react and make slow decisions when the puck is in his crease and can hesitate covering it up when there is pressure either becuase he is flopping around, or just because he's holding his position.

He stays in that STUPID RVH position way too long at times. Again, this seems to be him leaning on his technique over instinct.

All of the above are 'sometimes', but when he's on, he definitely can make that OMG save, like he was doing with his glove the other night. I think it may be a Jedi thing where he needs to let go of his technique at times and trust his instincts. "Linus... use the force..."

The previous Sabres goalie coach talked to Ullmark about flowing from position to position. He does seem to struggle with movement at times, though he's much better at it now. His core strength improved, which can be seen in less over- and under-rotation when he comes across the crease. Though it's still there at times, it's not bad.

Tracking behind the net is hard. Not many goalies are great at it. He's OK. He holds his post fine but is slow to come off it.

What's your issue with RVH? It's the best dead angle attack position to use, as long as the goalie can stand out of it fast and in form.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
What's your issue with RVH? It's the best dead angle attack position to use, as long as the goalie can stand out of it fast and in form.
technique over instinct. He's one that stays in it a little too long, or goes to it early. Then you have to get back up on your feet. Also, if you are leaning into the post your glove technique is affected. I just think it is way overused.

Like you said, he's looking like he's improving, which I wasn't sure was going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad