Ulf Samuelsson rant/question.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Why do you refer to them as "two" fights?
Messier and McSorely tangled several times, as did Lindros and Stevens.

And, Errr are you kidding about Thornton? At this point in time, Thornton was a tough, feared center in terms of fighting. He was more of a true power forward back before getting his jam smashed. Very chippy, looking to throw with anyone at a very young age against guys with 150-300 fights under their belts and much older than him. Joe was also a bit too chippy in his young days, getting suspended 3 times by 2002.

Yes they tangeled several times, I meant those two opponents not fights. They still havent manned up against anything close to what Ulf had too earlier in his career.

Are you kidding me? Thornton had what? Three fights per season? Mostly he gave the other guy a punch (before the fight) and had temper problems. What fights are you referring to that made him a "feared" fighter? That he went up against Odelein and Tinordi or when he suckered Ulanov and threw punches at Jason Smith while he was held up by the linesmen.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Yes they tangeled several times, I meant those two opponents not fights. They still havent manned up against anything close to what Ulf had too earlier in his career.

Are you kidding me? Thornton had what? Three fights per season? Mostly he gave the other guy a punch (before the fight) and had temper problems. What fights are you referring to that made him a "feared" fighter? That he went up against Odelein and Tinordi or when he suckered Ulanov and threw punches at Jason Smith while he was held up by the linesmen.

Ulf "manned up" hahaha. He consistently avoided fights and when he got in them, tried to wrestle as close as he could to avert.

And your comments on Thonrton lead me to believe you not only do not know what you are talking about, but that you did not even watch him play back then. Yes, he had temper problems. In the sense that anyone who mistreated him in the game was going to eat his fists. He stood up for himself starting at a very young age, making the statement that he would go with anyone who messed with him dirty. You seem to equate being feared with fighting only enforcers, when that is just not the case in Hockey. Thornton was respected by just about everyone and few people wanted to get chippy with him because they knew he would stand up for himself, and very well. That was the very reason a big chippy forward(At the time) like Thornton did not have many more fights. He clearly loved doing it at the time.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
And your comments on Thonrton lead me to believe you not only do not know what you are talking about, but that you did not even watch him play back then. Yes, he had temper problems. In the sense that anyone who mistreated him in the game was going to eat his fists. He stood up for himself starting at a very young age, making the statement that he would go with anyone who messed with him dirty. You seem to equate being feared with fighting only enforcers, when that is just not the case in Hockey. Thornton was respected by just about everyone and few people wanted to get chippy with him because they knew he would stand up for himself, and very well. That was the very reason a big chippy forward(At the time) like Thornton did not have many more fights. He clearly loved doing it at the time.

Literally saw every game Joe played with the B's, and this sums him up quite well.

Until Joe had his face smashed he skated around with a semi-threatening air about him. If you tried to lay a little too much lumber on him he would not hesitate to pop you one instantly.

I liked him a lot better back then.... :P

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Ulf "manned up" hahaha. He consistently avoided fights and when he got in them, tried to wrestle as close as he could to avert.

...and you seem to equate respected with feared. There is a big difference, you know.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Literally saw every game Joe played with the B's, and this sums him up quite well.

Until Joe had his face smashed he skated around with a semi-threatening air about him. If you tried to lay a little too much lumber on him he would not hesitate to pop you one instantly.

I liked him a lot better back then.... :P

Likewise. He was quite a bit more menacing back then, and a very good fighter.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
This quote from the article summarizes the debate best of all

"He's a throwback to the old-time defensemen," says Bowman. "He stays back, he's not afraid to take a check, and he's not afraid to give a check. He's always there; he never backs off. He asks no quarter, and he gives no quarter."

That is Scotty Bowman who knows about old-time hockey. But for the Neely accident (and Neely was just stupid to take revenge and end his career) and his Swedish origin, no one would even be talking about Ulf as the dirtiest ever. He did his job and he fought his share a lot (although losing most of them).

I remember Konstantinov and he was a dirty player and many people considered him as such. But then this terrible tragedy happened and we tend to forget everything else. Neely and Mondue were those standout events that stuck into peoples' brains.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
This quote from the article summarizes the debate best of all

That is Scotty Bowman who knows about old-time hockey. But for the Neely accident (and Neely was just stupid to take revenge and end his career) and his Swedish origin, no one would even be talking about Ulf as the dirtiest ever. He did his job and he fought his share a lot (although losing most of them).

I remember Konstantinov and he was a dirty player and many people considered him as such. But then this terrible tragedy happened and we tend to forget everything else. Neely and Mondue were those standout events that stuck into peoples' brains.

You can't change the opinion of people who already made up their minds.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
You can't change the opinion of people who already made up their minds.

Yes, people defending him after I watched his entire career are not going to change my mind or what I saw with my own eyes, nor the many statements from NHL players and coaches who agree he was the dirtiest player of his generation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad