Ukraine: Ukrainian Top Players All Time

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
In the spirit of the IIHF doing to top players for all countries during the 100 year celebrations. Can anyone do a Ukrianian top line?

Here is what I have.

G - Igor Karpenko
D- Alex Godynyuk
D- Sergei Klimentyev
LW-Ruslan Fedotenko
RW- Dmitri Khristich
C - Igor Chibirev

Honorable mention to Alex Ponikarovsky on the Wing..

There may be older Ukrainians that played under the banner of the Soviet Union. Feel free to add.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I guess it depends on the definition, a lot of Ukrainian top guys chose to play for Russia. But at least Zhitnik I would count in as he has been actively involved in Ukrainian hockey.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
In the spirit of the IIHF doing to top players for all countries during the 100 year celebrations. Can anyone do a Ukrianian top line?

Here is what I have.

G - Igor Karpenko
D- Alex Godynyuk
D- Sergei Klimentyev
LW-Ruslan Fedotenko
RW- Dmitri Khristich
C - Igor Chibirev

Honorable mention to Alex Ponikarovsky on the Wing..

There may be older Ukrainians that played under the banner of the Soviet Union. Feel free to add.

Wasn't 100 year back in 2008. ?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I guess it depends on the definition, a lot of Ukrainian top guys chose to play for Russia. But at least Zhitnik I would count in as he has been actively involved in Ukrainian hockey.
Zhitnik would be better than the two I mentioned.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Other names one could consider for D are Shiryayev, Babchuk, Tverdovsky. The latter played for Russia though, but that has in part to do with the sorry state of Ukraine's program. Conversely there are some guys that played for Ukraine although they weren't Ukrainian, like Yuldashev. Or guys that were Ukrainian but were separated from the country by Soviet circumstances like Nikolishin whose father was sent to gulag and so he grew up in Vorkuta.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

limkangyoung

May 19, 2023
Other names one could consider for D are Shiryayev, Babchuk, Tverdovsky. The latter played for Russia though, but that has in part to do with the sorry state of Ukraine's program. Conversely there are some guys that played for Ukraine although they weren't Ukrainian, like Yuldashev. Or guys that were Ukrainian but were separated from the country by Soviet circumstances like Nikolishin whose father was sent to gulag and so he grew up in Vorkuta.
It's probably not too right to compare provenance and citizenship...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's probably not too right to compare provenance and citizenship...
Everyone in the region were born as Soviet citizens until 1992 and after that the Russian government continued to issue Soviet passports until the early 2000s after which Russian passports were issued instead. That being the case, having a Russian passport is fairly meaningless when it comes to former Soviet citizens regardless of national origin.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Zhitnik was a beauty for the Kings before they traded him to Buffalo! I was so pissed off I didn't watch the Kings much for years after. The only D-man I ever saw who could stop the Great Russian Rocket Pavel Bure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad