Ukraine: Ukrainian Hockey Championship

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Donbass could do we moving to a better league, maybe Belarus too.

There is a documentary on youtube about Ukraine hockey. Basically the rich guy behind Donbass keeps it all going.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
First game tonight, Donbass v Kremenchuk. When the dust finally settled, 6 teams were entered into the championship this year. Based on the results from the Donbass Open Cup, Belyi Bars has taken a massive step up from last year, and Kremenchuk has taken a massive step down. Dynamo Kharkiv got crushed in their games. The other two teams from Kiev and Lviv are unknowns as they have not played any games as of yet.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
First game tonight, Donbass v Kremenchuk. When the dust finally settled, 6 teams were entered into the championship this year. Based on the results from the Donbass Open Cup, Belyi Bars has taken a massive step up from last year, and Kremenchuk has taken a massive step down. Dynamo Kharkiv got crushed in their games. The other two teams from Kiev and Lviv are unknowns as they have not played any games as of yet.

Would xsport.ua be the best place to try keep up with the league?

edit: xsport.ua does seem to be a good place to keep updated. Donbass 5-2 Kremenchuk. Looked like a good attendance for Donbass.

I don't understand why xsport would geoblock the link stream in England? Managed to watch anyway.

Last edited:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
As already mentioned Donbass beat Kremenchuk 5-2. Belyi Bars beat the Lviv team 4-0, and Dynamo Kharkiv bounced back from the beating they took in the Donbass Open Cup to beat the Brovary team 8-1. I watched the Kharkiv game, and they had a very nice crowd. Will be interesting to see how the 3 western teams do attendance wise.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
As already mentioned Donbass beat Kremenchuk 5-2. Belyi Bars beat the Lviv team 4-0, and Dynamo Kharkiv bounced back from the beating they took in the Donbass Open Cup to beat the Brovary team 8-1. I watched the Kharkiv game, and they had a very nice crowd. Will be interesting to see how the 3 western teams do attendance wise.

I'm not so wise on Ukraine hockey, as much as I enjoy it, but wouldn't it be better for Donbass to join say the Belarus league? They still have their funding so why do they operate so small at the moment?

Obviously I'd love for them to return to the KHL eventually but its seeming less and less likely atm

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's most likely that Belorussian teams don't want that additional travel cost just to do Ukraine a favor. Not only that they don't want it, they truly can't afford it. Distance from Grodno to Donetsk is 1452 km. That's like adding a Spanish team.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Cities like Kyiv, Bila Tserkva, or also Lviv wouldn't really be that far away. Juniors are doing it already based in Kyiv.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sure, Sokol was playing in Belarus for years. Things are different with Donbass though and that's what we seemed to be talking about.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
The rink that Donbass are playing in isn't suitable even for the Belarussian league. If the owner builds his rink in Cherkassy as planned, then he might start looking at bumping up Donbass to a different league.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
The rink that Donbass are playing in isn't suitable even for the Belarussian league. If the owner builds his rink in Cherkassy as planned, then he might start looking at bumping up Donbass to a different league.

Isnt their current one like 450 seats?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There is a real seating area installed on one side, I think the arena is about what you would expect in Eastern European minor leagues. Mostly decent anyway.

1941c3acd0d2e3c030ff77f1b87b9cc1b3fbfab6.jpeg

Krivoj-2-cityblog.com_.ua_-e1499968186578.jpg

0_b87e3_9cd53b9d_XL.jpg

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Ya, but that arena ain't gonna cut it, even in the Belarussian League. The owner of Donbass has a plan to build a multi-purpose sports facility in Cherkassy. If/when that happens we'll see what he does with his team. I don't think he's planning on building that facility to keep the team in the Ukrainian League.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I suppose it depends on whether the intention is to play second or first league, in the second league rather just the current location is inconvenient. In the first league it's a bit small of course, but the conditions overall are arguably clearly better than these (Navapolatsk):

77_big.jpg

If they build a new, bigger arena nearer to the rest, then I think Donbass would compare very favorably to most Belarusian teams.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I suppose it depends on whether the intention is to play second or first league, in the second league rather just the current location is inconvenient. In the first league it's a bit small of course, but the conditions overall are arguably clearly better than these (Navapolatsk):

77_big.jpg

If they build a new, bigger arena nearer to the rest, then I think Donbass would compare very favorably to most Belarusian teams.

Looks a lot like the rinks I played in as a kid :)

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
The rink looks great, sure its lacking in the capacity but its a nice looked after place it seems. Not the same can be said for my local UK Eihl team. Their arena is a shed and dirty!

I hope they can bounce back and get this new facility built then. It'd be good to see Ukraine hockey played at the highest level it can be.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Well after the first two rounds it's pretty obvious who the cream of the crop are this year. Donbass are steamrolling over everyone again, Belyi Bars are number 2 having beat Kremenchuk in a close game, but Dynamo Kharkiv have laid a beating on the bottom two teams. I guess we'll see were DK are after they play Kremenchuk. Brovary and Lviv have not looked good in their first two games losing by lopsided scores in both.

rooster85

Feb 29, 2012
Well after the first two rounds it's pretty obvious who the cream of the crop are this year. Donbass are steamrolling over everyone again, Belyi Bars are number 2 having beat Kremenchuk in a close game, but Dynamo Kharkiv have laid a beating on the bottom two teams. I guess we'll see were DK are after they play Kremenchuk. Brovary and Lviv have not looked good in their first two games losing by lopsided scores in both.

thanks for updates! Can you give us some informations about every team home attendances?

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
thanks for updates! Can you give us some informations about every team home attendances?

I can only give you anecdotal information, from what I've seen on TV, not actual numbers.

Belyi Bars first home game had what appeared to be a sell out, or at least very close
Brovary had what looked like maybe a 100 people at their first home game.
Lviv has not played a home game yet, or if they have I have not seen them.
Kharkiv have had 2 excellent looking crowds, at least what looked close to sell outs
Kremenchuk I have not seen play at home yet
Donbass was sold out for the home game I saw them play.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I can only give you anecdotal information, from what I've seen on TV, not actual numbers.

Belyi Bars first home game had what appeared to be a sell out, or at least very close
Brovary had what looked like maybe a 100 people at their first home game.
Lviv has not played a home game yet, or if they have I have not seen them.
Kharkiv have had 2 excellent looking crowds, at least what looked close to sell outs
Kremenchuk I have not seen play at home yet
Donbass was sold out for the home game I saw them play.

Thanks for the info. What kind of prices would the tickets be?

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Thanks for the info. What kind of prices would the tickets be?

Honestly, no idea. I can go to a first division football game in Odessa for less than one USD, so a ticket to a hockey game can'т be much more than that. Maybe Donbass charge more as they have a very passionate and dedicated fan base, but I can't imagine anyone else is charging more than 20 or 30 UAH, which is about around a buck US.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Honestly, no idea. I can go to a first division football game in Odessa for less than one USD, so a ticket to a hockey game can'т be much more than that. Maybe Donbass charge more as they have a very passionate and dedicated fan base, but I can't imagine anyone else is charging more than 20 or 30 UAH, which is about around a buck US.

Last match was 25 UAH, so just under 1 USD indeed:

21729369_1626489477423090_343643527_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->