Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
no precedent really for this is there ?
Sure, Barrasso made the team right out of high school. If you’re talking about a goalie being pulled out of the OHL to take the reigns in the NHL, then no...I don’t think that’s ever happened. I don’t even think it can happen, pretty sure you’re only allowed emergency recalls from junior, and it has to be short term.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He’s developing nicely :clap:

If he jumps to the Amerks next season, I hope he doesn’t struggle too bad or too long. Excited to see this kid on the big club after Hutton’s contract is up. But that may be too soon.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, you're happy then? :)

It's way too early to tell.

There is a laundry list of goalies that looked great at this stage and were never impact goalies at the NHL level.

Just look at the history of the WJCs Best Goalie Award and what those guys turned into as pros.

Or look at this list of OHL goalies of the year. Some good pros. But lots of guys that were never even NHL starters, let alone All-Stars or HOFers.

OHL Goaltender of the Year - Wikipedia

The same thing goes for the CHL GOTY:

CHL Goaltender of the Year - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: Eichel9

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I might have to break my rule of not paying attention to a goalie prospect until he's 23. I might not have goalie scouting abilities but those numbers are as good you could have reasonably hoped for.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
It's way too early to tell.

There is a laundry list of goalies that looked great at this stage and were never impact goalies at the NHL level.

Just look at the history of the WJCs Best Goalie Award and what those guys turned into as pros.

Or look at this list of OHL goalies of the year. Some good pros. But lots of guys that were never even NHL starters, let alone All-Stars or HOFers.

OHL Goaltender of the Year - Wikipedia

The same thing goes for the CHL GOTY:

CHL Goaltender of the Year - Wikipedia

Quite a read about chl goalies.. Apparently Roc mgmt reads it as well picking up 2012 goty Houser .. Who will prob never see the nhl..

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Well Botts said just 3 weeks ago, he is turning pro next season. So that’s happening.

Yeah but he'll be kept in Rochester for a few years. I doubt Botts wants to go through the Carter Hart scenario with him.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

Yes we don’t need any of that, he should be ready by the end of the 2021 regular season . We are fine until then with Ullmark who is only going too get better as he’s still just a rookie. No need too rush UPL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes we don’t need any of that, he should be ready by the end of the 2021 regular season . We are fine until then with Ullmark who is only going too get better as he’s still just a rookie. No need too rush UPL

And if UPL is ready to be #2 (or a #1A) with Ullmark in 2021-22 after Hutton's current deal expires, that is still a faster development path than Ullmark traveled.

This is Ullmark's 4th season as a NA pro, his 7th post-draft season, and the first season where he started out in the NHL.

Assuming that UPL is in Rochester next season, then 2021-22 will be UPL's 3rd pro season and his 5th post-draft season.

Basically, I am saying that people should not freak out if UPL isn't ready for that role in 2021-22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->