Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
haha his Wolves pad design transfers over well to the Amerks!

Really happy to see him get a start.

Reactions: Willgamesh

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Do people think that UPL will be starting games in the playoffs? I think he 100% should at least be the backup as I think he should be playing now

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I doubt he dresses in the playoffs after one pro game.

Never say never , UPL had a spectacular season let’s not forget and won the World Junior Gold Medal and was absolutely spectacular for the wolves and your right it’s one AHL game.

But like the poster said before me if Wedgewood or Wilcox falter UPL starts. Honestly I would carry UPL as the backup and would make Wilcox the 3rd string goalie to be honest as I have not been impressed at all without Wilcox so letting UPL be Wedgewoods backup I think will be instrumental for his development and give him one or two games a series and him just being with and practicing with the Amerks will be incredible for his development and being apart of the winning culture the Amerks have created

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Never say never , UPL had a spectacular season let’s not forget and won the World Junior Gold Medal and was absolutely spectacular for the wolves and your right it’s one AHL game.

But like the poster said before me if Wedgewood or Wilcox falter UPL starts. Honestly I would carry UPL as the backup and would make Wilcox the 3rd string goalie to be honest as I have not been impressed at all without Wilcox so letting UPL be Wedgewoods backup I think will be instrumental for his development and give him one or two games a series and him just being with and practicing with the Amerks will be incredible for his development and being apart of the winning culture the Amerks have created

No offense, but I think this is a complete underestimation of the difference between OHL hockey and professional hockey at the AHL level - particularly at playoff time. It's also totally oblivious to the team dynamic that has formed with the Amerks for the entire season. Wilcox has been the backup goalie and has played decently. You don't just sign a player to an ATO and make him the backup goalie and play him one or two games a series without affecting the sense of team that the Amerks have right now. I don't care who the player is or how highly he's touted.

Reactions: dasaybz

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
No offense, but I think this is a complete underestimation of the difference between OHL hockey and professional hockey at the AHL level - particularly at playoff time. It's also totally oblivious to the team dynamic that has formed with the Amerks for the entire season. Wilcox has been the backup goalie and has played decently. You don't just sign a player to an ATO and make him the backup goalie and play him one or two games a series without affecting the sense of team that the Amerks have right now. I don't care who the player is or how highly he's touted.

Someone pointed out two very good goalies did the same thing and won Calders for their respective teams. It's not unheard of. Guess its a matter if Wilcox > Luukonen. I won't pretend to know because I didn't watch most AHL or junior games.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

There you have it as it has been done before with Patrick Roy and Carey Price . And yes I understand the difference between the OHL and AHL and I haven’t underestimated it but I am curious to see what Chris Taylor does with the opening night roster against the Marlies in game 1

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Not sure if UPL would ever see the ice in the playoffs, I doubt it, but it wouldn't be for anything other than backup. Wedgewood has earned the starting job.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Wedgewood and Wilcox would let a bus between their legs. Crap career minor leaguers

I won't really defend Wilcox, he's been alright in a pinch but I doubt we see him back next year. Wedgewood though has mostly been dependable this season, with only minor hiccups in a few stretches. Expect him and 6K to take on a Hutton/Ullmark-esque tandem next season where 6K gets plenty of chances but overall Wedgewood is probably the starter, at least out of the gate.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and both the W's leave in free agency, I guess time will tell.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I definitely think he'll play for sure........ if both Amerks goalies get hit by a bus.
As Roby would say, they need to keep their heads on a swivel. A lot of people want to see UPL.

2006-06-17%20Falling-piano.gif

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad