Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I wouldn't even consider that, personally. Let him get into one of the garbage time games this weekend and see how he does, but I wouldn't be risking a young goalie's psyche on throwing him right into potential playoff action.

Yeah, let him play a period or two on Sunday -- especially if the game doesn't mean anything for Rochester. Seeing AHL-level shots will do him some good. So will just being around a playoff team in the AHL.

Reactions: Reddawg

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
What a season this kid had. Cant wait for 6k i really wish we could see him play for the merks maybe if our last game isnt division deciding.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
He’s probably going to Rochester next year then? I’d be thrilled if he did. Seems to be the way the young top end goalies are going. In the AHL by 20 and then hopefully taking starts away at age 22.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He’s probably going to Rochester next year then? I’d be thrilled if he did. Seems to be the way the young top end goalies are going. In the AHL by 20 and then hopefully taking starts away at age 22.

I’m drafting Spencer Knight with the SJ 1st. We need a stud #1 goalie. Can’t bank on one.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Yes I am almost positive that it has been reported he will be in Rochester next year.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I’m drafting Spencer Knight with the SJ 1st. We need a stud #1 goalie. Can’t bank on one.
No thanks. UPL is at least good enough to not burn a 1st on a prospect who is only slightly younger and no more of a sure thing. The team needs to restock with that 1st.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
No thanks. UPL is at least good enough to not burn a 1st on a prospect who is only slightly younger and no more of a sure thing. The team needs to restock with that 1st.
To each his own. I would restock the goaltending position if Knight is still on the board. Hoping we grab a future 2C with our 7th OA.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why not try to sign Hunter Shepard after tomorrow night. Kid is a big game goalie and was at development camp. He is much further along the development path.

Very much down with that.

As for UPL seeing pucks, Wilcox and the rest of the team rolling a turd out for the second period pretty much means they have to win the next two to reach their objective of winning the division. I would not expect a kid on an ATO to get a look in that situation at all.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres prospect Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen joining Amerks

Sabres assistant general manager Randy Sexton announced Friday that Luukkonen will arrive on an amateur tryout for the remainder of the season, though Luukkonen is unlikely to appear in any games since the playoffs begin next weekend. The tryout designation ensures Luukkonen's entry-level contract will not begin until 2019-20.

In preparation for his transition to North American hockey, Luukkonen began practicing on a smaller rink with national team coaches at the Sport Institute of Finland in Vierumaki, the country's Olympic training facility.
Luukkonen's time in Rochester will offer him a similar introduction to professional hockey. He can continue working with Sabres goalie development coach Seamus Kotyk while becoming acclimated with the team that he'll surely play for next season.

Reactions: WolvesAndWings

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
lYGW7Dc.png

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Amerks doing their best effort to prepare him for Buffalo so far this afternoon.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Yeah the Sens aren't exactly playing like they have a playoff berth on the line. Just 4 shots on goal total that period for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->