Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
And if UPL is ready to be #2 (or a #1A) with Ullmark in 2021-22 after Hutton's current deal expires, that is still a faster development path than Ullmark traveled.

This is Ullmark's 4th season as a NA pro, his 7th post-draft season, and the first season where he started out in the NHL.

Assuming that UPL is in Rochester next season, then 2021-22 will be UPL's 3rd pro season and his 5th post-draft season.

Basically, I am saying that people should not freak out if UPL isn't ready for that role in 2021-22.
Yep. Goalies take a bit, even the great ones. But he's definitely on the radar for the future.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Yep. Goalies take a bit, even the great ones. But he's definitely on the radar for the future.

Honestly, you never know. I’ve been watching a lot of Carter Hart with the Flyers and he’s been unreal. He’s literally carrying that team into a playoff hunt. So impressed.

Carter Hart - 48th overall - 2016
UPL - 54th overall- 2017

Reactions: DJN21 and ValJames

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Definitely.

I just think that any real projections about his future are premature. At this point, he looks promising. But, I wouldn't project him to end up like Noronen, Biron, Miller, or Hasek.

Let's just hope that he makes the jump to the AHL next season and he can be a solid #1 there.

Reactions: joshjull

ValJames

Jun 9, 2015
NC
After the last month of goaltending if it's a quick OHL playoffs I would love to see him get a look-see if we have the roster spot and start next season in Roch.

Reactions: Mitts888

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Quick UPL update:

Ukko was scratched Friday against Flint with an illness. He was back in net yesterday and stopped 32 of 34 in our 3-2 win vs Niagara (we outshot them though!)

Ukko is now clearly the top goalie in the league.

2nd in Wins (29)
1st in SV% (.922)
1st in GAA (2.39)
1st in Shutouts (5)

The team is playing much better around him of late too, as we've won 8 straight and 12 of 14 since his return from the World Juniors.

For those of you from the Buffalo area who want to watch him, the Wolves play @ Niagara next Sunday, but tickets are supposedly limited.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Quick UPL update:

Ukko was scratched Friday against Flint with an illness. He was back in net yesterday and stopped 32 of 34 in our 3-2 win vs Niagara (we outshot them though!)

Ukko is now clearly the top goalie in the league.

2nd in Wins (29)
1st in SV% (.922)
1st in GAA (2.39)
1st in Shutouts (5)

The team is playing much better around him of late too, as we've won 8 straight and 12 of 14 since his return from the World Juniors.

For those of you from the Buffalo area who want to watch him, the Wolves play @ Niagara next Sunday, but tickets are supposedly limited.
Thanks for the update. Would he be 1st in wins if he didn't go to WJC or did whoever is in 1st go to WJC also?

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Went to my first wolves game of the season yesterday and man o man that is Ukko’s barn now. They’ve gone Ukko crazy in Sudbury. There was also a pretty big Finnish contingent at the rink but anytime he touched the puck the crowd went wild. The must have played like 5 or 6 interviews with him during the intermissions and they’ve got their Ukko-Pekka chants. It was fun to see.

Hopefully we can be that Ukko crazed in Buffalo soon

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Went to my first wolves game of the season yesterday and man o man that is Ukko’s barn now. They’ve gone Ukko crazy in Sudbury. There was also a pretty big Finnish contingent at the rink but anytime he touched the puck the crowd went wild. The must have played like 5 or 6 interviews with him during the intermissions and they’ve got their Ukko-Pekka chants. It was fun to see.

I almost feel bad that us in Rochester are gonna be prying him away from them next season, not THAT bad though. :D

Reactions: WolvesAndWings

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I almost feel bad that us in Rochester are gonna be prying him away from them next season, not THAT bad though. :D
Hopefully that offsets the talent Buffalo pries away from you guys by the trade deadline.

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
Thanks for the update. Would he be 1st in wins if he didn't go to WJC or did whoever is in 1st go to WJC also?

He would likely be first in wins. We played like crap all around during that 0-6-1 stretch, but I think we'd have maybe won 2 or 3 of those with Ukko, who is only 1 win behind Cedrick Andree on Ottawa, who was not at the WJC.

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017

That's the second time we've done the Finnish anthem prior to the Canadian anthem for him too (first was during his return from the WJC where we had a fun pre-game ceremony for him).

Sorry about your Ice Dogs last night :P, though I'm sure we'll see each other in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Would be a wicked series.

Haha I'll miss him, I haven't loved a Wolves player this much...probably ever. That being said my preference is for him to make the next step. He's too good for this league. I want him to be a dominant NHL stud asap (and I'm a Wings fan, lol).

We've treated him like a king here, and he has deserved it to be fair. The dude and his agent are going to give us great references for future import players we want to bring over.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
It’s excitng to read about UPL’s development this season. Can’t wait to see how he does in Rochester next year.

Thanks for the updates everyone!

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Ukka stops 34 of 36 tonight leading the Sudbury wolves to a 5-2 win over our northern rivals the North Bay battalion . That win pushes us to first in the division and second in the conference. He’s getting better and better and quite frankly he’s gonna carry this team far into the playoffs . That being said he’s clearly proven to be above this level . And as said above we are very Ukka crazy , he’s treated amazingly here and loved all around . Ukka!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->