Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
I see the same thing. I’m not really a goalie development guy, so I don’t really have a conclusion to come to. He’s played so well all year that I let it slide thinking it’s youth.

Its weird because when you watch him in person, you can see how great his skating is and his fluidity in the crease. He's become one of the beat skaters I've ever seen at the goaltender position. I think it's clear that this is something that has improved so much over the last year that he still has trouble controlling his movement because of how drastically it's improved. It think this is why for example he sometimes launches himself too far across the crease. It just looks "clunkier" than it is and he just really needs to master that technique now.

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
Also I know its awhile out still but for those of you who want to watch him live, Sudbury's next game in Niagara is Feb 17.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Let me just put this here. You guys probably know that Finland has produced a bunch of good goalies, but none of those goalies have won U18 and U20 gold as the starter, just UPL has. Some would say that he was the MVP in both of those tournaments. Nerves of steel and maybe one day he gets to win the Stanley Cup as well with those nerves.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I would think at the moment, yes he would be ahead of Nylander. He definitely has come on strong this year in his time in the CHL and of course for Finland.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
They're both basically guaranteed to play the full season so yeah I don't consider them. Though even then I'd give UPL the nod over Mittelstadt at this point.
Yeah, I mean, you have to give the edge to the guy that completely dominated world juniors....oh.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I don't think it can be overstated just how important UPL is to Sudbury. With him in net they're a competent team. Since he left for the WJC they've been nothing short of a disaster. Losing all 7 games with a GAA of 4.66 until last night's 2-0 loss. 5 games in a row they gave up 5 goals.

The Wolves went from 21-7-2 to 21-14-2 just like that, Luukkonen is their Hasek. he might be young but I think he's earned a shot at the AHL next season.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Its tough to rank them right now but Mitts stock certainly has faded a bit since his last years MVP.
1. (Dahlin) 2. Pilut 3. UPL 4. (Mitts) 5. Oloffsson 6 Nylander 7 Laaksonen 8 (Thompson)

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I rank with expected development in mind too, and in my mind, the only player challenging mitts for 2 is pilut, and that’s because of how highly I think of pilut, not what I think of mitts.

He’s too small and underdeveloped physically for the nhl right now, and too timid to do much with the puck in space.

He hasn’t developed a ton in this 1/2 season, but his talents are still visible, and maturing physically will solve most of his problems.

He should’ve never been in the nhl to start, and Botts bought the press releases too much, but he’s still a top 2-3 prospect for us

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It’s not like the Amerks couldn’t use a goalie, but I hope this proves to be a wise move.

The alternative would him be going back for an overage year.. don’t really see a point in that.

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
Yeah you guys have journeyman Scott Wedgewood in the AHL right now. Luukkonen might already be better than he is, and even more likely is he's better than Wilcox based on Wilcox's numbers. Why not have him go and maybe split time with Rochester IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->