Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Kris Baker @SabresProspects / SabresProspects.com -

The Sabres have just one unsigned goaltending prospect in their development stable, and while the organization will likely add to the position over the next few drafts, in the meantime, that sole netminder is making quite a name for himself at the professional level as an 18-year-old.

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, second round) made 31 saves Wednesday and stopped another four of five in the shootout as LeKi got past Espoo United 3-2. Luukkonen returned to the crease Friday, stopping 34 shots before allowing a goal with one second remaining in regulation as LeKi downed RoKi 3-1. The 6-foot-4 backstop earned his third consecutive start Saturday, stopping 27 shots to improve to a perfect 4-0 on the year in a 5-2 win over Hermes. In addition to being undefeated, Luukkonen has posted a 1.71 goals-against average and a league-leading .944 save percentage through his first four starts.

Under contract through 2019 with HPK in Finland's top professional league, Luukkonen was placed on a full-season loan to LeKi of the second division so he could play versus a higher level of competition as opposed to serving another season in the under-20 junior league, where he would have been assigned given HPK's current depth at the position.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sab...konen-and-mittelstadt-shine-early/c-291746952

Deleted member 27798

Kris Baker @SabresProspects / SabresProspects.com -

The Sabres have just one unsigned goaltending prospect in their development stable, and while the organization will likely add to the position over the next few drafts, in the meantime, that sole netminder is making quite a name for himself at the professional level as an 18-year-old.

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, second round) made 31 saves Wednesday and stopped another four of five in the shootout as LeKi got past Espoo United 3-2. Luukkonen returned to the crease Friday, stopping 34 shots before allowing a goal with one second remaining in regulation as LeKi downed RoKi 3-1. The 6-foot-4 backstop earned his third consecutive start Saturday, stopping 27 shots to improve to a perfect 4-0 on the year in a 5-2 win over Hermes. In addition to being undefeated, Luukkonen has posted a 1.71 goals-against average and a league-leading .944 save percentage through his first four starts.

Under contract through 2019 with HPK in Finland's top professional league, Luukkonen was placed on a full-season loan to LeKi of the second division so he could play versus a higher level of competition as opposed to serving another season in the under-20 junior league, where he would have been assigned given HPK's current depth at the position.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sab...konen-and-mittelstadt-shine-early/c-291746952

Does this mean he is under contract through the 18-19 season or the 19-20 season?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Does this mean he is under contract through the 18-19 season or the 19-20 season?
He probably needs these 3 seasons in Europe anyway so it doesn't matter too much. The way I see it - 3 Euro seasons, 1 AHL and if he lights it up, he can then make the Sabres roster. But that is 4 season from now so whatever. I would be absolutely amazed if he's ready for Buffalo roster in 3. That's Matt Murray / Vasilevsky sort of progression, which is rare.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker‏ @SabresProspects - Oct 11 -
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen gets his fourth consecutive start today.
LeKi takes on Kiekko-Vantaa.
Luukkonen under siege in the opening frame with 15 saves on 17 shots.
LeKi trails Kiekko-Vantaa 2-0 end 1st.
Through two periods, Luukkonen has allowed 4 goals on 36 shots.
LeKi trails Kiekko-Vantaa 4-0.
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen finishes with 42 saves.
LeKi falls to Kiekko-Vantaa 5-1.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker‏ @SabresProspects -
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen back between the pipes today for his fifth-straight start.
LeKi takes on Ketterä.
Luukkonen with 6 saves on 7 shots.
LeKi leads 3-1 end 1st.
Luukkonen now has 18 saves on 22 shots.
LeKi leads Ketterä 5-4 end of 2nd.
Luukkonen finishes with 27 saves on ?? shots.
LeKi's 6-5 loss to Ketterä.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen in net today as LeKi takes on Espoo United.
LeKi scores :52 in to give him some early goal support.
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has 11 saves through two periods as LeKi leads Espoo United 3-1.
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen stops 18/19 to get his sixth win of the season.
LeKi defeats Espoo United 4-1.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen gets the start as LeKi takes on KeuPa HT.
Luukkonen stops all 15 shots in the opening period. No score between LeKi and KeuPa HT.
Not happening every game, but Luukkonen seeing a lot of shots (vs a high level of comp) is excellent developmental situation. Wins are a bonus.
Puck fumbled at o-zone blue line, forward breaks in alone and beats Luukkonen stick side.
LeKi trailing 2-0 late 3rd.
Luukkonen allows two goals on 30 shots. LeKi falls to KeuPa HT 3-0.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Hokejový nároďák‏ - @narodnitym -
Remember Andy, the ice crew member, who almost got hit by a puck during our warm-up?
We reached out to him to say sorry
1f607.png
/
Viděli jste video s Andym, kterého naši hráči málem trefili při rozbruslení? Hráči se mu přišli omluvit
1f607.png
#WorldJuniors @TSN_Sports @IIHFHockey @WJCinBUF

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The size is there but he is a long way off.
Too true. His defence did not help him a lot. They can skate and move the puck but they cough it up a lot too---not exactly shut down types-unlike the Canadians who tend to be the other way.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I've had to work for most Sabres/NFL/Junior action. How has he looked? I'd like an honest assessment from someone who has actually seen him. Do we like his growth as a prospect for this organization? Is he looking like a future starter/backup?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I've had to work for most Sabres/NFL/Junior action. How has he looked? I'd like an honest assessment from someone who has actually seen him. Do we like his growth as a prospect for this organization? Is he looking like a future starter/backup?
To me he is not looking like anything above Johansson level goalie, he has let in some fairly crap goals I wouldn't expect from the 2nd goalie taken in a draft. Of course he is just 18 and has the sizs and may improve significantly with time, but right now I wouldnt put my apples in this basket and rely he becomes an NHL starter. This tournament has not changed 1 bit my observations from the summer exhibitions that he has a few too many holes in his game at this point in time.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Lets face it, goalies are a crap shoot. I liked his aggressiveness, but at this point in his development, I'm not sure him dominating or not dominating in this tournament is any indication of whether he projects to be an NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->