Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
When I was advocating to use a 2nd round pick for G people put me down. Glad that most people are on board post-draft! :handclap: I was going to be exstatic with either Pekka or DiPietro. Hope we made the right call but there is every chance both make it to an NHL starter IMO. Oettinger weirdly enough I'm not so high on. But what do I know to be honest LOL

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I don't usually like taking goalies early, but I like this pick a lot.
Same here. We obviously weren't getting this kid with a later pick, barring a trade, so this was a great pick all things considered. Admittedly I'm notoriously poor at gauging G prospects, so for what it's worth this kid was noticeably excellent the times I've seen him. #1 goalie available, IMO, and we nabbed him. Seems like a real class act to boot.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Aside from the Middlestadt pick, this was my favorite. I am still on the fence on Davidsson, but overall the draft was a transition to a new style. Mike Harrington's article this morning was complete satirical nonsense.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Late second is not early for any type of pick, come on man. We can't rely on 6th rounders for G prospects forever :laugh: I posted some stats a while back. Your chance of nailing a starter beyond round 4 are like 5%. We could have used the 3rd but I am fairly certain the top 4 prospects are gone by then. Good pick for sure no matter how he turns out

Why not? 18-year old goalies are much harder to project than 18-year old skaters.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Why not? 18-year old goalies are much harder to project than 18-year old skaters.

I'll refer you to this post again.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=132856835&postcount=300

The hit rate in very late round is atrocious. It's clearly a myth that late round picks is the best approach for goalie drafting.
2nd-4th round is clearly the best place to pick a G in terms of value wasted if you have a need at G depth.

And when you look at the percentage of picks made, if you ask me the 2nd round would be the best place to draft a G if you actually need a starter in some years time as you are likely looking at 30-40% chance of success rather than the 10-15% chance in rounds 3 and 4.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
1. Your sample size is way too small to "debunk" anything
2. The best place to draft a G if you actually need a starter is throw a 2nd rounder at someone for a developed goalie

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
2. The best place to draft a G if you actually need a starter is throw a 2nd rounder at someone for a developed goalie

8 years is small sample size? Yeah OK. I am not going to take drafts before 2003 as NHL and drafting has changed a lot since. After 2011 it's still not clear who will be and won't be a starter so that data is not usable.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

Also 1 more calculation:
Chance of getting a starter or at least above avarage back up in top 3 goalie picks in each draft (2000-2010, again 2011+ is not representative as they are still too young):

-
1/3
1/3
1/3
0/3
2/3
2/3
1/3
3/3
2/3
0/3
2/3 (DiPietro got **** early by injuries, not cause of talent)
-

That is 15/33 mostly starters and the odd above average backup.

Is that bad hit rate? Or you are going to blame sample size again?

We got a real shot at having a good starter on ELC in 3 years time in Pekka. Matt Murray style. Let's hope he gets 2 cups in his first 2 seasons too :laugh: His contract if he does make it will certainly help us in that regard.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I am by no means an expert but this is the only pick of our entire draft that I like at this point.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Nice pick, guys! :handclap:

This kid is a relative of mine so I wish him well. Unfortunately I can't say much more about his game than others who have also followed the 2 prior U18's but I can tell you that there will be zero character issues. A very sweet kid, compassionate and definitely not hungry for $. If he makes the team some day (I believe he does) there will be no charity event he would turn down, especially if it has anything to do with children.

Based on what I've heard his trainers refer to him as Pekka Rinne v2.0 (and not only because of his size). He has huge potential. Hopefully he can reach it, goalie development is voodoo.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Nice pick, guys! :handclap:

This kid is a relative of mine so I wish him well. Unfortunately I can't say much more about his game than others who have also followed the 2 prior U18's but I can tell you that there will be zero character issues. A very sweet kid, compassionate and definitely not hungry for $. If he makes the team some day (I believe he does) there will be no charity event he would turn down, especially if it has anything to do with children.

Based on what I've heard his trainers refer to him as Pekka Rinne v2.0 (and not only because of his size). He has huge potential. Hopefully he can reach it, goalie development is voodoo.

Yep that's true.

Thanks for the insight.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
From the little I saw of the games yesterday, he has very solid fundamentals. Huge in net, made a lot of smart plays. Plus I just love Finnish goalies.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Not that it matters, but I wonder what the timeline difference is between Petersen and UPL.

I know that Petersen is four years into his development, but I think UPL definitely ends up being a better goalie.

Maybe Cal is ready in two years, UPL in three? This is with neither being gifted or rushed into anything.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not that it matters, but I wonder what the timeline difference is between Petersen and UPL.

I know that Petersen is four years into his development, but I think UPL definitely ends up being a better goalie.

Maybe Cal is ready in two years, UPL in three? This is with neither being gifted or rushed into anything.

Cal is five years older than UPL. I would be surprised if it only took UPL one year longer to be "ready".

It has taken goalies like Rask and Rinne roughly 5 years from being drafted to being a regular NHL goalie.

That is the realistic timeline for UPL.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

Three is Matt Murray league minimum. If he makes it, he's probably ready in 4 for sure. Peterson no clue. I very much hope he does and we have 3-4 seasons to plug with the Lehners, Johnsons and Ullmarks of the world

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->