Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
His parents must have known something
Ukko
Ukko is the Finnish god of the sky, thunder, weather and harvest. He was often considered to be the most important and mightiest god. He is also often called Ukko ylijumala (Ukko the Overgod). This might either refer to him living in the heavens, or him being the most highly regarded god.
Lightning was thought to be Ukko's expression of anger, and rain was him being kind to people. Ukko also had weapons, one of them being Ukonvasara, a hammer that he could make lightnings with.

So it's settled, his nickname will be OG (for overgod).

10 things you didn’t know about Sudbury Wolves goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - Sudbury.com

Reactions: Dirty Dog

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The Finnish Pagan community might be offended. Maybe after Risto is traded. The Heathens are also making a comeback.
Paganism and Heathenry in the Republic of Finland | The Wild Hunt
midsommar2.jpg

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
I hope he gets a good number of reps in there, kinda interesting that Houser, who won the award way back, is on Cincy as well.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Feeling 'normal' after hip surgery, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen makes season debut
"I was a mess," Luukkonen joked after he stopped 25 of 28 shots for the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones in a 4-1 loss to the Brampton Beast at CAA Centre. Since undergoing double-hip surgery in April, the 20-year-old had thought daily about finally being physically able to compete in a game.

"I hate that we lost and we could have done better, including me, but I felt it was a good game," Luukkonen said. "I’m happy about my performance, even though we lost. Being out for that long, I felt pretty normal and good in the net."

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Why goaltenders like Sabres' Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen are having hip surgeries

"It puts a lot of stress on your hips because it's such an unnatural position for your body to be in," Sabres goalie Linus Ullmark, who underwent double-hip surgery in April 2015, said. "There are going to be a lot more goalies that have to do this kind of surgery. It's a bummer that we've gotten to this point."

Both goalies suffered from femoroacetabular impingement, a condition in which there is abnormal and wearing contact between the ball and socket of the hip joint. The problem typically begins when goalies in their early teens repeatedly drop to their knees to stop the puck. That causes a stress reaction and an extra bone forms along the head of the femur – which fits into the cup on the side of the pelvis to form the hip joint – and creates a square-peg-in-a-round-hole effect.

The head of the femur and pelvis start to rub together during movement, which leads to pain, loss of internal rotation, and in many cases, a tear of the labrum – a band of tissue that rings the hip joint, securing the head of the femur.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Why goaltenders like Sabres' Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen are having hip surgeries

"It puts a lot of stress on your hips because it's such an unnatural position for your body to be in," Sabres goalie Linus Ullmark, who underwent double-hip surgery in April 2015, said. "There are going to be a lot more goalies that have to do this kind of surgery. It's a bummer that we've gotten to this point."

Both goalies suffered from femoroacetabular impingement, a condition in which there is abnormal and wearing contact between the ball and socket of the hip joint. The problem typically begins when goalies in their early teens repeatedly drop to their knees to stop the puck. That causes a stress reaction and an extra bone forms along the head of the femur – which fits into the cup on the side of the pelvis to form the hip joint – and creates a square-peg-in-a-round-hole effect.

The head of the femur and pelvis start to rub together during movement, which leads to pain, loss of internal rotation, and in many cases, a tear of the labrum – a band of tissue that rings the hip joint, securing the head of the femur.

I have this type of impingement. Hurts. I’m not a professional, and only play in beer league, so ice works just fine. If I had to go all season with it as a pro, I’d get this surgery. It’s not bad to recover from, just fixing the femoral head ball.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->