Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
They’ve been pretty good with the goalies in terms of not rushing them.

I’d say we have been poor at rushing top prospects, and decent at slow-cooking lesser prospects (Rather than breaking it down by position). I mean, who was the last goalie prospect we even could rush? Ullmark came over at like 23 and played a lot in the NHL is first season in North America.

sorry, I’m only half-joking about the topic and have little faith in Botts not doing something goofy with him next season.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Split time in Cincinnati with minor league veteran Michael Houser this past season. Is he ready for a role in Rochester yet or will he require a bigger role in the ECHL before moving up?

Still only 21-years-old so there is time.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Split time in Cincinnati with minor league veteran Michael Houser this past season. Is he ready for a role in Rochester yet or will he require a bigger role in the ECHL before moving up?

Still only 21-years-old so there is time.

He had major surgery, and I believe he's considered a pretty valuable prospect.

Reactions: southeastern

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
As @Rastin said, end of last season into this season. He had double hip surgery. I believe he returned to action in November of this season.

And in the good timeline, got called up to Buffalo at the end of the year. Finished with 19 consecutive shut outs before blowing up in the playoffs becoming the first goalie to sweep each opponent with only giving up own goals by his dmen (cuz even in the good timeline, Buffalo can't get a break)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wheeler: The top 10 drafted NHL goalie prospects ranking,...

8. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G, 21 (Buffalo Sabres — 54th overall, 2017)

Luukkonen’s 2018-2019 season went about as well as you could have hoped for. He was the OHL’s Most Outstanding Player (the third goalie in more than 60 years to do so). He backstopped Finland to gold at the world juniors, where he was named to the tournament all-star team. And then in his first professional start in North America, he made 32 saves on 34 shots in a 4-2 win for the Rochester Americans over the Belleville Senators. So expectations were understandably sky high as he turned pro full-time. Most everyone expected more out of him than what he gave at the AHL level, where he struggled across 10 more games. He was, however, pretty strong in his time in the ECHL. And a sporadic rookie season in the AHL shouldn’t outright change opinions on his merits as a legitimate goalie prospect. These things take time. Most goalie prospects spend three or four years in the AHL before making the jump. I saw him get cleanly beat a few times this year, where he froze on good shots (the kinds of shots he’s going to see in the NHL) and that’s never a good sign but he’s a big, athletic goalie who fills a lot of the net, makes tough saves when he’s on, and should only improve.

He forgot to factor in UPL's recovery from hip surgery.

I won't be surprised if he makes a big jump being fully recovered from the surgery.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Wheeler: The top 10 drafted NHL goalie prospects ranking,...

He forgot to factor in UPL's recovery from hip surgery.

I won't be surprised if he makes a big jump being fully recovered from the surgery.

Goalies take weird paths. I think Jonas Johansson is going to surprise some people and get NHL time next and master the level to a degree. I'm guessing Hutton breaks camps with team because of veteran bias and being under contract but I thought JJ didn't look completely out of place in callup. He misplayed some pucks for sure and seem a little slow in following game but his actually ability didn't look bad.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Goalies take weird paths. I think Jonas Johansson is going to surprise some people and get NHL time next and master the level to a degree. I'm guessing Hutton breaks camps with team because of veteran bias and being under contract but I thought JJ didn't look completely out of place in callup. He misplayed some pucks for sure and seem a little slow in following game but his actually ability didn't look bad.

Probably because the NHL is that much faster than the AHL. He obviously knew it would be, but sometimes you need to experience something first hand to “get” it.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I think JJ has shown a lot of growth over the past two seasons in North America. I agree with the above that Hutton stays in Buffalo due to veteran bias, but if he flounders again, I don't think Buffalo will hesitate to replace him with JJ. Hutton's in the last year of his contract so who cares if they have to bury him in the AHL for part of the year.

Speaking of the AHL, I think that JJ should be ready to be the starter there. Not sure if UPL starts in Rochester or Cincinnati though.

Reactions: barriers

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I think JJ has shown a lot of growth over the past two seasons in North America. I agree with the above that Hutton stays in Buffalo due to veteran bias, but if he flounders again, I don't think Buffalo will hesitate to replace him with JJ. Hutton's in the last year of his contract so who cares if they have to bury him in the AHL for part of the year.

Speaking of the AHL, I think that JJ should be ready to be the starter there. Not sure if UPL starts in Rochester or Cincinnati though.

But why do have to start the year with Hutton. We all know it's true, we all know he'll fail but yet it's going to happen. Ugggh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad