Ugly incident involving Blades-Rebels

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Last year these two teams had a heated exchange in the playoffs revolving around goalie-runnings and line brawls.

The rivalry extended into the game tonight in Saskatoon.

It started with a fight between Lukas Sutter and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The Rebels clearly were not happy that their star was forced to fight as Sutter stood up for himself after a high hit by RNH.

The next shift Josh Cowen of the Rebels came at Stefan Elliott with a viscous blindside attack. It was Bertuzzi-esque. Luckily for everyone involved Cowen failed to connect clearly on Elliott. But either way he jumped onto Elliott and started pounding away before teammates jumped in. It was a cowardly act and should result in a several game suspension.

Elliott had absolutely zero chance to defend himself.

Video should surface early Sunday morning and you can judge for yourself, but it should definitely be a several game ban for Cowen.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It's funny I was at the Oilers game and was just checking some boxscores and I went to the Rebels game and I saw RNH fought and then I saw the mass amount of penalties and couldn't help thinking there was either a full team brawl or something really dirty happened...kinda curious to see the video now.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Never like seeing that, hopefully Elliot is okay.

He is.

Had a cut on his forehead but played the rest of the game. Like I said, he was very very very lucky that Cowen's huge sucker punch only grazed him. If he connected it would have likely been a nasty concussion in a best case scenario.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This is how it started, with the hit by RNH and a fight by Sutter. You can see how during the fight, 2-3 Rebels players wanted to jump in to help.

This is where things got really nasty:

Jumbo*

This is how it started, with the hit by RNH and a fight by Sutter. You can see how during the fight, 2-3 Rebels players wanted to jump in to help.

This is where things got really nasty:

WOW what a piece of garbage. Hopefully he gets a nice 10-20 game suspension.

crazyaces*

What a loser to sucker punch somone like that, gutless.

4Isles4*

WOW that Cowen kids move was one of the dirtiest ive seen...He completly threw a roundhouse full force without the other kid even knowing it was coming...

Bourque7799

Jun 1, 2006
New England
Garbage move by Cowen, if that first right handed haymaker he threw landed, this would have been a lot worse. Good thing Elliot is ok

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
RNH goes up high on a guy and is held responsible for his actions so Cowen decides to go caveman on someone that had nothing to do with it?

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
man its a good thing he didnt fully connect, or else that would've been REAL ugly, gutless move.

Hawktopus

Sep 12, 2010
From the first playthrough I though it was a late hit. Was even worse when the replay showed it was an all out punch thrown. Very cowardly.:shakehead

Also, what is the mascot for Saskatoon at the beginning of the 2nd video, super wacky.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
From the first playthrough I though it was a late hit. Was even worse when the replay showed it was an all out punch thrown. Very cowardly.:shakehead

Also, what is the mascot for Saskatoon at the beginning of the 2nd video, super wacky.

Is it bad that this is also what interests me the most about this video? So creepy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->