Ugliest Equipment?

scryan

May 1, 2013
It's not even close. Cooper XL7 is the ugliest of all time.
8c2bcf18f001d2e7b702ec813f38faf6.jpg

Just easily this.

There are some bad color schemes in here, but that is just custom colors... obviously some will be bad. This is a standard color mass produced piece. Astonishingly bad.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
not really sure how anyone could say that the classic CCM HT2 helmet is "junk"

that is the classic North American players helmet and has been a staple in hockey for 40 years now. besides all that, the helmet itself is not even close to being ugly like those old jofa buckets. handzus and s. thornton are the only players wearing that classic CCM now that smyth retired

Seriously. I started playing months ago and wanted the classic CCM helmet but couldn't find one at my store.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
not really sure how anyone could say that the classic CCM HT2 helmet is "junk"

that is the classic North American players helmet and has been a staple in hockey for 40 years now. besides all that, the helmet itself is not even close to being ugly like those old jofa buckets. handzus and s. thornton are the only players wearing that classic CCM now that smyth retired

This. I still wear the CCM HT2 helmet and no one has every dropped a comment about it. If I was wearing a JOFA or Winwell bucket I'm sure I'd hear otherwise. Or maybe this one:

chi_freeagents08.jpg

Now THAT'S bad. The concerning thing is a lot of the more recent helmet models look like this, especially any Easton model and to a lesser extent the Reebok 11K model (the 7K model is waaaay better).

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
This. I still wear the CCM HT2 helmet and no one has every dropped a comment about it. If I was wearing a JOFA or Winwell bucket I'm sure I'd hear otherwise. Or maybe this one:

chi_freeagents08.jpg

Now THAT'S bad. The concerning thing is a lot of the more recent helmet models look like this, especially any Easton model and to a lesser extent the Reebok 11K model (the 7K model is waaaay better).

The profile of that Nike helmet looked like a walnut.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Jagr is in Warrior now, which, along with Mission, have made some pretty grotesque gear, thanks to lacrosse (Warrior) and roller hockey (Mission) culture.

Jagr uses a Reebok Ribcor stick. The cooper helmet mentioned above is definitely the ugliest piece of equipment I've ever seen.

My favorite stick in terms of look is :

wardoddcl.jpg

The red Bauer Total One is a close second though.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
ian_turnbull_kings.jpg

^^^ Here long-time Leaf & one time King shows off the perhaps ugliest skates ever manufactured, Lange Skates. These things were quite popular for a time in the mid-70's, giving birth to competitors equally hideous like Micron. One piece molded plastic boot. Beyond ugly.

butch-goring-boston-bruins-signed-8x10-photo-50-t550577-500.jpg

^^^ Butch Goring's "Snap" Brand helmet. His father bought him that when he was a kid, wearing it through amateur, Junior, his entire NHL career.... Endearing that he'd do so, but definitely ugly.

Reactions: Oddbob

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Jagr uses a Reebok Ribcor stick. The cooper helmet mentioned above is definitely the ugliest piece of equipment I've ever seen.

Wow, you're right. Thought he was in Warrior at the beginning of the season, but going back I see some Reebok and, oddly, a Bauer at one point, though I'm not sure if it was an old pic.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
ian_turnbull_kings.jpg

^^^ Here long-time Leaf & one time King shows off the perhaps ugliest skates ever manufactured, Lange Skates. These things were quite popular for a time in the mid-70's, giving birth to competitors equally hideous like Micron. One piece molded plastic boot. Beyond ugly.

Wore em both...most comfortable skates I've ever played in!:wally: :GWC: yep...I'm that old!

swoops

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
What of this... affectionatly known as the "goon bucket". They loved it because it was tough to get a a full punch onto you square. Many a hand and finger was broken trying to box your opponent with this heavy duty trash can on.

s...

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
On the other hand, some may laugh, but I played with the original Jofa "broomball" helmet as well as this model

It was actually a great helmet... feather lite and offered reasonable padding, unlike the Gretzky famous model, a mere milk jug with a strap!

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Wore em both...most comfortable skates I've ever played in!:wally: :GWC: yep...I'm that old!

swoops

Used to wear Lange skates as a kid back in the 70s.

From items I have worn, I'll match your Lange skates

pipetraders_personal_zpsxhmc9qip.jpg

and raise you an XL7
friday_night_hockey1_crop_zpsyxxlcrkq.jpg

a Jofa 390 (still wearing these helmets)
IMG_5430_zps2d333e9f.jpg

and what I think is a much uglier earlier Jofa (280?)
sunday_morning_hockey_crop_zpszjvrceth.jpg

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Used to wear Lange skates as a kid back in the 70s.

pipetraders_personal_zpsxhmc9qip.jpg

and what I think is a much uglier earlier Jofa (280?)

Heck, I was already old in the mid seventies you young pup! :razz:

So I'll see your Jofa's and toss down 2 of my own.

I do believe your ugly 280 was the helmet worn by the Soviets at Lake Placid.

s...

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON

Heck, I was already old in the mid seventies you young pup! :razz:

So I'll see your Jofa's and toss down 2 of my own.

I do believe your ugly 280 was the helmet worn by the Soviets at Lake Placid.

s...

Sheesh. I think even my Cooper XL7 might offer have offered marginally more protection than those Jofas. Then again, the same could be said for my mom's old tupperware.

16beedd737eea965572edbaa309381e6.jpg

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad