Ugh, TSN is really stretching thin I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

I don't see anything wrong in doing a short special on a kid who many hockey observers see as special.It's Canada, of course they are going to do hockey related stories......and tons of people will watch it too.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Doesn't the CBC have the rights to Curling now??? Not TSN??? Oh well, I think a 30 minute "Crosby Show" is a little bit much. But I mean with no NHL season what else is TSN going to do. Though it would be cool if they did sort of series on other CHL prospects, such as Brule. But who knows. Don't know if I'll watch the episode or not. I think Crosby is getting enough attention as it is... but I must say he is coping with it very well.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ktownhockey said:
Why is everyone on this post being so bitter?

They may sound bitter but in reality, I think they just want responsible, balanced journalism as opposed to the lame feel-good fiction pieces you obviously enjoy.

There are ways to focus on a national team without yet again dubbing a player "the next one".

You can't ever just be the next "yourself" anymore with hockey media. If you're over 6 foot 6 and a Slovak who can't skate for ****, you gotta be the next Chara. If you're a Czech goalie and are athletic, you're obviously the next Hasek. And if you've got 374 brothers like Staal, some third rate hockey publication HAS to say EVERY FREAKING ONE OF THEM is going to be better than the elder. And every couple of years (when it's not two years in a row), the top of the draft class has to be the next Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, etc.

Do yourself a favor. Don't just watch the Crosby special. TAPE it. And in a couple of years, just put it in the VCR to be amazed at how gullible you were back then.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Epsilon said:
Which lineup is better?

Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron - Nigel Dawes
Dion Phaneuf - Cam Barker
Jeff Glass

coach: Brent Sutter

vs.

Chris "Jesus" Ferguson - Gus Hansen - Daniel Negranu
Phil Hellmuth Jr. - Phil "the Unabomber" Laak
Greg "Fossilman" Raymer

coach: Howard "the Professor" Lederer

Where is Lederer?

His sister could kick Bergeron's *** by the way :D

espo*

Vlad The Impaler said:
They may sound bitter but in reality, I think they just want responsible, balanced journalism as opposed to the lame feel-good fiction pieces you obviously enjoy.

There are ways to focus on a national team without yet again dubbing a player "the next one".

You can't ever just be the next "yourself" anymore with hockey media. If you're over 6 foot 6 and a Slovak who can't skate for ****, you gotta be the next Chara. If you're a Czech goalie and are athletic, you're obviously the next Hasek. And if you've got 374 brothers like Staal, some third rate hockey publication HAS to say EVERY FREAKING ONE OF THEM is going to be better than the elder. And every couple of years (when it's not two years in a row), the top of the draft class has to be the next Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, etc.

Do yourself a favor. Don't just watch the Crosby special. TAPE it. And in a couple of years, just put it in the VCR to be amazed at how gullible you were back then.
You don't think he'll be a great player? I'd be interested to hear if you think he's overrated and why. :)

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Barnaby said:
Where is Lederer?

His sister could kick Bergeron's *** by the way :D

Yes Annie Duke (the Queen of Poker) should be on that team as well, and also Johnny 'The Oriental Express' Chan, Men 'The Master' Nguyen and Phil 'Tiger Woods' Ivey!

Yup TSN should definitely increase its Poker coverage in light of the lockout!!

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
bigguns said:
I think that crosby is an awesome player and obviously has a very prosperous future in the NHL. But, I think that it is a shame that all the attention is focused on him and not from a jealous point of view. You would think that he might want to be a kid every once in awhile and not have a microphone shoved up his nose everytime he turns a corner.

I agree as well. Perhaps no hockey player has ever had such pressure, media coverage and great expectations at such a young age (esp. with the amount of media these days). The kid is 17 for god sakes. You could argue that because Canada is hockey mad Crosby should embrace the spotlight and expectations shone on him, and is that fair? I think not.

Habfansincebirth

Jul 15, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Only time will tell whether or not TSN is overhyping Crosby.

If in 20 years he is considered one of the greatest of all time, then we will look back at this TSN special and say "Wow, they weren't kidding when they said he would be awesome.", and be gratefull that TSN had this great early footage of Crosby.

If on the other hand he turns into Alexandre Daigle, we will look back and say "Wow, TSN really missed the boat on that one.", and will use the special as lesson in counting your eggs before they hatch.

I am personnally looking forward to the special, because Crosby is special. He is head and shoulders better than any junior since Lindros.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
meh, I remember one night getting ready to watch hockey night in Canada, Ron Maclean talked about a 13 or 14 year old kid named Sydney Crosby who broke one of Gretzky's records or something so CBC is way ahead of everyone else as far as Crosby goes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad