Ugh, TSN is really stretching thin I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I've seen a 10-year old nextdoor, and he's gonna be the next Wayne Gretzky Lemieux!!! I wanna see him on teh shoew on teh TSN!!!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The puck from Crosby's record-setting goal is currently exhibited in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

is it just me or does that seem a little excessive? (the puck from being the youngest player to score for canada in the WJC's)

i mean, sure it's great he's the youngest guy to score in the juniors tournament for canada...but the hockey hall of fame?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Levitate said:
is it just me or does that seem a little excessive? (the puck from being the youngest player to score for canada in the WJC's)

i mean, sure it's great he's the youngest guy to score in the juniors tournament for canada...but the hockey hall of fame?

Yeah well thats the Hockey Hall of Fame, which houses overhyped displays. They find a way to give significance to even relatively unimportant things.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
I can't wait to watch the 30 min show... it just boils down to whether you are a hater or not i guess.. they always do stuff like this before the world juniors

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I'll watch it. However they are really over hyping Crosy and not just him. The whole Canadian team is being over hyped by TSN. I won't be surprised at all if Canada doesn't win this tournament as they don't seem to be as strong as they were the past couple years. But TSN is acting as if their the team of the century.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
I agree the puck of the youngest Canadian to score in world junior is a bit over the top.

Even if it was Crosby’s first goal, the game winner in the gold, I would still question its relevance in the hall of fame.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
I'll watch it. However they are really over hyping Crosy and not just him. The whole Canadian team is being over hyped by TSN. I won't be surprised at all if Canada doesn't win this tournament as they don't seem to be as strong as they were the past couple years. But TSN is acting as if their the team of the century.

The TSN lovefest for Team Canada bothers me too. It happens every year. I can understand that they would have a partial Canadian-bias. However, whenever a Euro goes down, more often than not, whoever is calling the game (Gary Green or McGuire now) say that it is a dive. They also reinforce classical European stereotypes, citing them as the weakness of these players. At the same time they love to use the Canadian character to elevate the status of Canadian players. I love the TSN coverage in general, as they help fill a hockey void over the holidays. But the extreme bias at times turns me off.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
The TSN lovefest for Team Canada bothers me too. It happens every year. I can understand that they would have a partial Canadian-bias. However, whenever a Euro goes down, more often than not, whoever is calling the game (Gary Green or McGuire now) say that it is a dive. They also reinforce classical European stereotypes, citing them as the weakness of these players. At the same time they love to use the Canadian character to elevate the status of Canadian players. I love the TSN coverage in general, as they help fill a hockey void over the holidays. But the extreme bias at times turns me off.

Do you remeber the hard on McGuire had for Valtteri Filppula and Ruutu? McGuire just has a type of player he likes and lets people know.He yells about everything. The reason he talks about diving from the Europeans is because they do dive more often.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
alecfromtherock said:
I agree the puck of the youngest Canadian to score in world junior is a bit over the top.

Even if it was Crosby’s first goal, the game winner in the gold, I would still question its relevance in the hall of fame.

I haven't been there, but I've been to the baseball hall of fame and I would imagine there are far more irrelevant things there than this puck.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
ArtG said:
poker kicks ass..

Damn strrrraight! I'd take some WPT action over this anyway of the week, twice on Sundays! :D

On a related note BOY OH BOY I've never seen TSN this desperate!

They should have a TSN version of that Molson Canadian commercial starring TSN personalities, and with Bob Mackenzie singing "Do you really wanna MAKE ME CRY" :cry:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Which lineup is better?

Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron - Nigel Dawes
Dion Phaneuf - Cam Barker
Jeff Glass

coach: Brent Sutter

vs.

Chris "Jesus" Ferguson - Gus Hansen - Daniel Negranu
Phil Hellmuth Jr. - Phil "the Unabomber" Laak
Greg "Fossilman" Raymer

coach: Howard "the Professor" Lederer

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Epsilon said:
Which lineup is better?

Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron - Nigel Dawes
Dion Phaneuf - Cam Barker
Jeff Glass

coach: Brent Sutter

vs.

Chris "Jesus" Ferguson - Gus Hansen - Daniel Negranu
Phil Hellmuth Jr. - Phil "the Unabomber" Laak
Greg "Fossilman" Raymer

coach: Howard "the Professor" Lederer

Jesus > Crosby
Hansen < Bergeron
Negranu >> Dawes

Hellmuth Jr. = Phaneuf
Unabomber < Barker
Fossilman > Glass

Professor > Sutter

Let the debate begin!

:joker:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Why is everyone on this post being so bitter?

Are you not Canadians? do you noty enjoy stories of our young talent? Whenever stuff like this comes on I love it.. Id much rather watch a junior hockey story on a supreme talent right now then to watch some idiots talk about a "cost certainty" and a salary roll-back...

Why don't we just appreciate the attention TSN focuses on junior hockey and not talk about "hards on" for players and how you'd rather watch curling ....

Why don't you go to curlingsfuture.com and make some posts cause we don't want to hear it. A true hockey fan enjoys all aspects of the sport... and recognizes and appreciates a special hockey player when they see him. Crosby has done this by leading the CHL in scoring as a 16th (a young one I might add) ,being the youngest player to score at the world juniors while registering 4-5 points (depending on who you want to ask) and being the overwhelming favorite to be the number 1 pick in the draft.
With the NHL in the state its in .... I will watch this special and just be happy that anything relevant to hockey and the future of our game is on....

Im not saying Crosby is gonna be Lemeiux or Gretzky BUT he has the potential to be and this is exciting... so you can agree or disagree with this special but TSN is right and people will watch this whether you want to or not.

bigguns

Dec 7, 2004
I think that crosby is an awesome player and obviously has a very prosperous future in the NHL. But, I think that it is a shame that all the attention is focused on him and not from a jealous point of view. You would think that he might want to be a kid every once in awhile and not have a microphone shoved up his nose everytime he turns a corner. There is a lot of talent in junior hockey right now, and i think it's great that TSN is promoting junoir players, I just think there could be a better way to do it that "the crosby show". Run a special on the top 5 forwards in the CHL right now, or maybe showcase some of the talent of those surprise picks that made the team to try and win over supporters. Have a "get to know the players" special where you learn little tidbits about their development, who they look up to or what they think of the lockout. Basically, anything else. I've been to the hockey hall of fame, it's a great place but this puck could be one of the displays you get to and think "i came all the way here for this?" before moving on to a more interesting exhibit.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
bigguns said:
I think that crosby is an awesome player and obviously has a very prosperous future in the NHL. But, I think that it is a shame that all the attention is focused on him and not from a jealous point of view. You would think that he might want to be a kid every once in awhile and not have a microphone shoved up his nose everytime he turns a corner. There is a lot of talent in junior hockey right now, and i think it's great that TSN is promoting junoir players, I just think there could be a better way to do it that "the crosby show". Run a special on the top 5 forwards in the CHL right now, or maybe showcase some of the talent of those surprise picks that made the team to try and win over supporters. Have a "get to know the players" special where you learn little tidbits about their development, who they look up to or what they think of the lockout. Basically, anything else. I've been to the hockey hall of fame, it's a great place but this puck could be one of the displays you get to and think "i came all the way here for this?" before moving on to a more interesting exhibit.

I agree; this moderate view of the issue makes most sense.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Canadian_man said:
the reason y TSN thinks this is the team of century is because they haave the most returning players ever from a 2nd place team and also b.c of the lockout there aer some players that probably woudl be in the NHL that are here, like phaneuf begeron possible seabrook, etc. and the last time there was a lockout canada had its best team ever....they went undefeated.....and chances are there will be no returning palyers next year cause crosby adn barker will probably be in the NHL. so they r hyongi this year's team

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Anything.........and I mean anything is better then the boring idiocy of Curling!! Fat out of shape men playing shuffleboard on a massive scale is about as stupid as anything!!

It is going to be a long winter in Canada with hour upon hour of Curling on TSN ad nauseum........that is when we are really going to miss hockey....

At least we are seeing some old classic nhl games.......that sure brings back the memories....

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
This probably is the best team Canada has ever sent. The average age is well over 19 (even with Crosby), making it the oldest team we have ever sent. At this level of junior, experience and maturity mean so much. The only team comparable to this one might be 1994-95.
And don't knock Crosby, either. Back in the late 70's when Gretzky started tearing up Junior and the WJC, everybody was calling him overrated, and calling him a skinny kid who would get clobbered in the pros.
Guess they were wrong, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad