Fighter Signings/Cuts/Promotional Changes Thread

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Joe Benavidez is my sleeper. His wife may be a variable that keeps him around but he’s never getting a title shot again and ultimately I can’t see the promotion wanting to pay him good money to beat some of these high end up-and-coming 125’ers

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Benavidez v Askarov is already booked for March. I think it's possible he retires if he loses but it's not going to happen at this point.

As for the most surprising? It's already happened, Yoel Romero. If anyone bigger than him gets cut I will be really, really surprised.

If they aren't going to be doing as many fights in Brazil anytime, you could see a mini-purge of those guys.

Raphael Assuncao, Jeremy Stephens, Cub Swanson, Mirsad Bektic, Gunnar Nelson, Robbie Lawler, Ion Cutelaba, Sam Alvey, Tyson Pedro, Struve, Latifi are the names that would be the "biggest" for me. But, none bigger than Romero IMO.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Benavidez v Askarov is already booked for March. I think it's possible he retires if he loses but it's not going to happen at this point.

As for the most surprising? It's already happened, Yoel Romero. If anyone bigger than him gets cut I will be really, really surprised.

If they aren't going to be doing as many fights in Brazil anytime, you could see a mini-purge of those guys.

Raphael Assuncao, Jeremy Stephens, Cub Swanson, Mirsad Bektic, Gunnar Nelson, Robbie Lawler, Ion Cutelaba, Sam Alvey, Tyson Pedro, Struve, Latifi are the names that would be the "biggest" for me. But, none bigger than Romero IMO.

forgot about Joey B vs Askarov, I rescind my prior statement. That’s gonna be a sweet fight

Swanson is booked against Pineda this Saturday, if he wins idk what that does

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Surprising is different than biggest name, right? For example, I'm half expecting Shogun to get cut. So that would not be a surprise, but Shogun is a legend.

I agree with @m9. Romero is probably the answer.

If we exclude him, though, my pick would be Woodley. 38 years old, lost 3 in a row very, very badly (granted against elite competition), constantly butted heads with the UFC brass when he was champ, and has a reputation of being a boring fighter. I imagine he gets a decent chunk of change, too.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Joe Benavidez is my sleeper. His wife may be a variable that keeps him around but he’s never getting a title shot again and ultimately I can’t see the promotion wanting to pay him good money to beat some of these high end up-and-coming 125’ers
Maybe it was too soon after his fight and he's changed his tune, but didn't he say he was going to retire after 1 more fight so that he didn't go out getting the ass kicking of his life?

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
HES SCARED OF THE POLISH POWER
Can't tease us with Francis-Rumble for years and then not even come back to the UFC.

So much for Bellator not wanting to continue to take on UFC castoffs, but Rumble-Bader 2 is kind of interesting. Would give us an idea of where Rumble is after 3-4 years off.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Mixed feelings on Rumble. I really wanted him back in the UFC.. but also just glad that he's back fighting.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good pick up for Bellator and one that makes sense. Rumble isn't young but compared to Anderson and Romero he sure is and he also hasn't been losing fight after fight in the UFC.

I figured USADA would've been the only thing to stop him from competing in the UFC again since he has admitted to using PEDs when he was doing his body building thing but he actually re-entered the testing pool and has been tested a few times. I'm surprised he'd go through that only to turn around and head to Bellator.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Good pick up for Bellator and one that makes sense. Rumble isn't young but compared to Anderson and Romero he sure is and he also hasn't been losing fight after fight in the UFC.

I figured USADA would've been the only thing to stop him from competing in the UFC again since he has admitted to using PEDs when he was doing his body building thing but he actually re-entered the testing pool and has been tested a few times. I'm surprised he'd go through that only to turn around and head to Bellator.
Rumble isn't that old, but he's already retired because, in his words, he's not a fighter, he's an athlete who's good at fighting. I doubt he'd do all this for 1 fight, but after his second or third fight, I think it's always going to be a question of if that was Rumble's last fight....being 36 doesn't help with that either.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
At least with Rumble he can fight at HW so he should be able to compete at an advanced age if he wants to.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Wiman retired after being cut/released. This is a trend I think were going to see in the next few weeks. These guys that are older and already close to retiring are going to get the boot and just decide to hang it up rather than go through the FA process for 1 or 2 more fights.

I'm guessing Rumble wanted to negotiate his way back into the UFC. Probably asked for a ranked fighter and a specific purse. UFC might have plans for the light heavyweight divisiok and weren't able to offer him either the money or spot he wanted right away. He'll get both over at Belator, but would have loved to see him back in the octagon.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Probably decent odds that Jacare gets cut. He's lost 3 in a row, and 4 of his last 5. Not to mention that he's on the wrong side of 40 years old and Dana never really seemed to be much of a fan.

You have to wonder about JDS too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
JDS and Jacare, see ya. Both chins have deteriorated in a big way. Jacare is one of my all time favorites

I bet the brass were hoping Cub would lose too

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yair is my super sleeper pick to get cut. Dana was just calling him flaky and said he’s the reason the Zabit fight has fallen off so many times

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Tony Ferguson....
I think it's too soon for Tony. He is going to be 37 soon and has had 2 bad losses in a row, but he was also supposed to be fighting for the belt like 8 months ago. Plus he's done the UFC some solids this year with taking the Gaethje fight at all and bolstering the card this weekend. It was a disappointing fight, but going into it, it was the fight a lot of people were looking forward to the most.

Yair is my super sleeper pick to get cut. Dana was just calling him flaky and said he’s the reason the Zabit fight has fallen off so many times
Hard to say they won't cut him when they already did once, but I think it would be a mistake. I'm not a fan of his outside the cage, but he's too young, good, and exciting to let him go to another organization.

Reactions: m9

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Tony Ferguson....

No chance, at least not yet. Tony Ferguson may not be fighting for too much longer, but he's not going to be among the 60 that are being cut here. Dana White shot it down when he was asked by a reporter about the possibility of Tony retiring or leaving the UFC, saying "Tony’s still a couple fights away from making any crazy decisions like that."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad