OT: UFC Returning to Vancouver for UFC174

Betamax*

Im guess Rory McDonald will be fighting?

That seems like a logical choice unless he is injured since the UFC like to include a lot of hometown fighters in their cards when it's possible. Like I said earlier, I'd love to see him in a 5 round main event for the no.1 WW contenders match against Condit.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That seems like a logical choice unless he is injured since the UFC like to include a lot of hometown fighters in their cards when it's possible. Like I said earlier, I'd love to see him in a 5 round main event for the no.1 WW contenders match against Condit.

Except he lost his last fight to Lawler, and has not looked good for two fights in a row now. I think he'll need to win a couple (or at least one in convincing fashion) before he gets a number 1 contenders match.

Betamax*

Except he lost his last fight to Lawler, and has not looked good for two fights in a row now. I think he'll need to win a couple (or at least one in convincing fashion) before he gets a number 1 contenders match.

The fight aginst Lawler (IIRC) was a split-decision loss who is fighting for the title next .. Condit is the logical choice to be the next guy in line for a shot but I think he has an upcoming fight, if he wins then set it up against Rory for the no. 1 contender.

Anyone who beats Condit should be considered a legit no. 1 WW contender, IMO.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The fight aginst Lawler (IIRC) was a split-decision loss who is fighting for the title next .. Condit is the logical choice to be the next guy in line for a shot but I think he has an upcoming fight, if he wins then set it up against Rory for the no. 1 contender.

Anyone who beats Condit should be considered a legit no. 1 WW contender, IMO.

Condit fights Woodley next month. I imagine if he wins that he'll get a title shot after that.

MacDonald fights Maia on Saturday. If he wins and Condit loses then I would give MacDonald the Condit fight (Woodley would go on to fight for the championship). If Condit wins, I would probably look to give MacDonald a fight with Jake Shields.

Betamax*

Checked the schedule and saw that Condit is scheduled in a March bout against Woodley. I assume the winner will be the no. 1 WW contender since they are on the same card as Hendricks/Lawler.

Maybe then instead but Rory in a match against a "legend" ... say have Nick Diaz come out of retirement or something.

Betamax*

Condit fights Woodley next month. I imagine if he wins that he'll get a title shot after that.

MacDonald fights Maia on Saturday. If he wins and Condit loses then I would give MacDonald the Condit fight (Woodley would go on to fight for the championship). If Condit wins, I would probably look to give MacDonald a fight with Jake Shields.

What you say makes sense. Rory needs to win (I'm under the assumption he will) but if he doesn't that doesn't bode well for his title hopes.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Checked the schedule and saw that Condit is scheduled in a March bout against Woodley. I assume the winner will be the no. 1 WW contender since they are on the same card as Hendricks/Lawler.

Maybe then instead but Rory in a match against a "legend" ... say have Nick Diaz come out of retirement or something.

Diaz vs. Rory would be a fight I'd like to see, but Diaz is so unpredictable. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Diaz challenges Cain Velasquez. :laugh:

Betamax*

Diaz vs. Rory would be a fight I'd like to see, but Diaz is so unpredictable. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Diaz challenges Cain Velasquez. :laugh:

Yeah, maybe they can rebrand "Ares" Rory as the "Legend Killer" ... have him fight against big names that are past their prime ... :laugh:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Split or not lawler clearly won that fight (and made me some money)
Condit fights woodley and I expect him to avoid the power until woodley tired then pick him apart.
(More easy money)

Hoping lawler can out strike Hendricks and get that belt!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Split or not lawler clearly won that fight (and made me some money)
Condit fights woodley and I expect him to avoid the power until woodley tired then pick him apart.
(More easy money)

Hoping lawler can out strike Hendricks and get that belt!

If that happens, a Hendricks/MacDonald fight would be nice. Though that wouldn't happen in Vancouver :(

**** Hendricks!

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
Even though the last card here sucked on paper the fights were actually good.

I'm glad UFC is coming back...

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If that happens, a Hendricks/MacDonald fight would be nice. Though that wouldn't happen in Vancouver :(

**** Hendricks!

I'd watch that, just to see macdonald get KO'd , **** that guy.

I'm guessing tj grant is next for pettis, but I think pettis will walk over him. Thompson fights the loser.
Give Henderson the winner of Melendez vs. Sanchez/dos anjos

Betamax*

I'd watch that, just to see macdonald get KO'd , **** that guy.

I'm guessing tj grant is next for pettis, but I think pettis will walk over him. Thompson fights the loser.
Give Henderson the winner of Melendez vs. Sanchez/dos anjos

What don't you like about Rory? I'm assuming it has less to do with his fight style and more to do with the why he acts outside the Octagon.

Actually, I like the persona he brings. It's unique and different to what you usually see in MMA.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What don't you like about Rory? I'm assuming it has less to do with his fight style and more to do with the why he acts outside the Octagon.

Actually, I like the persona he brings. It's unique and different to what you usually see in MMA.
It's 70/30 persona to fight style. I think he's a pompous dick, and doesn't really fight in a way that I'm impressed with.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's 70/30 persona to fight style. I think he's a pompous dick, and doesn't really fight in a way that I'm impressed with.

How can you like Hendricks and not like Rory? I hate Hendricks's entitlement. He lost the fight to GSP, yet he runs his mouth like a whiny *****.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
How can you like Hendricks and not like Rory? I hate Hendricks's entitlement. He lost the fight to GSP, yet he runs his mouth like a whiny *****.

Whoa slow down, I don't like Hendricks either...
He acts like he's the champ when he clearly lost the Gsp fight, he won the 'damage meter' but that's not how fights are judged....
I'd still rather see Rory lose to him tho... He acts just as entitled without any of the big fight victories.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'd be shocked if it doesn't include a title fight. Given the timeline of recent title fights, my money would be on Demetrious Johnson or Velasquez defending their belts. Don't know what Jones' status is, but he might be healthy in time for June as well.

Betamax*

I'd be shocked if it doesn't include a title fight. Given the timeline of recent title fights, my money would be on Demetrious Johnson or Velasquez defending their belts. Don't know what Jones' status is, but he might be healthy in time for June as well.

I would take the opposite and be shocked if we get a big name title fight like Cain or even JBJ defending their titles. A less marquee title fight match-up i.e. involving Mighty Mouse is a good possibility because he is based in the Seattle area.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Will be nice to not have to make the trip to the US to watch the UFC. If a title fight is in the works there's a good chance it will be either of the belts on the line this weekend but it's far too early to make any predicitions. Most likely they will see how things play out over the next month as they also have Rousey defending her title and the UFC will have a new WW champ for the first time years. It won't be Cain, the UFC is saving his next fight for their debut in Mexico, there more or less basing it for around when he's expected to be back.

Last edited:

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
It would be cool to see Rousey defend her title here.

Womens' fights are becoming more entertaining than mens' fights as of late.

I think this is the likely fight (provided she wins) that or we will hey Barao or Faber.

I think it will be co mained by a number 1 contender bought for WW or LH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad