OT: UFC Returning to Vancouver for UFC174

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The UFC returns to Vancouver on June 14 -- for the first time since UFC 141 in June 2011 -- for UFC 174 at the Rogers Arena. The MMA promoter opted to stay away because of what it saw as onerous insurance and other requirements that have since been modified.

"Now we're in a position where we can return and we're very much looking forward to it," said Wright. "Vancouver's been a great city for us, it's a great MMA market for us -- all of Western Canada is.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=442471

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Excited to finally have another UFC PPV in Vancouver. Hoping we don't get stuck with a weak card like UFC115. I wonder if there's a chance we get the Chris Weidman-Vitor Belfort fight?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Excited to finally have another UFC PPV in Vancouver. Hoping we don't get stuck with a weak card like UFC115. I wonder if there's a chance we get the Chris Weidman-Vitor Belfort fight?

No, that fight will either be in Brazil or in Vegas for their July 4th weekend card.

But good chance of a title fight, as either of the belts on the line this weekend would work out from a time standpoint. Also Pettis would be an option.

Demetrious Johnson is from nearby so maybe they would toss him in there too.

Lots of options, we will see what happens. Hopefully we get a decent card this time around.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No interest at all with no GSP or Silva.

Unless Lesnar wants to come back and beat someone's face in.

I agree, no GSP and no Silva is a huge blow for the UFC, but they do have some other good fighters worth watching.

Honestly all of the women's fights I've watched have either been fight of the night's or fight of the night candidates, though I doubt we see Rousey take another quick turnaround. Maybe we can get a Miesha Tate fight on the card though?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No, that fight will either be in Brazil or in Vegas for their July 4th weekend card.

But good chance of a title fight, as either of the belts on the line this weekend would work out from a time standpoint. Also Pettis would be an option.

Demetrious Johnson is from nearby so maybe they would toss him in there too.

Lots of options, we will see what happens. Hopefully we get a decent card this time around.

I would be surprised if we get another quick turnaround for Rousey though. Anthony Pettis vs. Ben Henderson wouldn't be bad, though I'd prefer to see Pettis vs. Melendez which won't happen this soon.

Betamax*

I would be surprised if we get another quick turnaround for Rousey though. Anthony Pettis vs. Ben Henderson wouldn't be bad, though I'd prefer to see Pettis vs. Melendez which won't happen this soon.

My pick for a main event in Vancouver would be a rematch and five round number one contender's match for the WW title between B.C.'s own Rory (Ares) MacDonald versus Carlos (NBK) Condit.

arsmaster*

No Silva and no GSP, leads to me saving a lot of money on PPV's.

There just isn't enough star power now. Sure there are good fights from time to time, but if the main event in Vancouver was similar to the Henderson-Thomson, the UFC will have a hard time filling Roger's Arena for $100-$500/seat.

UFC is all about the event, I've never attended one live, but if I did, I think I'd just make a trip of it and watch in Vegas. I couldn't really care less to watch non-stars fight from the upper bowl of a hockey rink.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Haha the last ufc here was really bad atmosphere, just a bunch of angry ppl yelling and wanting to fight after.

UFC events in Vegas are about 100 times better in terms of overall experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Haha the last ufc here was really bad atmosphere, just a bunch of angry ppl yelling and wanting to fight after.

Agreed, the UFC's in Vegas are great. Amazing atmosphere.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

No chance Henderson gets a title shot anytime soon with Pettis already beating him twice.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I was at the last UFC event here and didn't see or have any problems. The atmosphere in the arena was deader than I expected, but then again it's not like we had much to cheer for. The main event was JDS dominating a gassed Shane Carwin.

arsmaster*

No chance Henderson gets a title shot anytime soon with Pettis already beating him twice.

Well then the UFC was pretty stupid giving him the Thomson fight. He is the #1 contender at 155....makes them look a little hokey pokey if you ask me.

Who is Henderson supposed to fight next? Melendez?

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
After the last GSP fight I have lost interest in the UFC especially since they let girls fight in it now, thats just disgusting and not right.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well then the UFC was pretty stupid giving him the Thomson fight. He is the #1 contender at 155....makes them look a little hokey pokey if you ask me.

I think Melendez is booked for a fight in March or April?

The whole Thomson fight has blown up in the UFC's face with the way things went down.

arsmaster*

What's wrong with women's MMA? Have you seen a fight? They're some of the best fights I've seen.

Agreed. They fight like they're mad at eachother, instead of the methodical feeling out process we see in men's MMA.

Women are more emotional by nature, thus leading to more spirited build up and fights. I find their fights to be the most exciting of the recent fights coming out.

Pretty ridiculous to call it "disgusting and not right" IMO.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Agreed. They fight like they're mad at eachother, instead of the methodical feeling out process we see in men's MMA.

Women are more emotional by nature, thus leading to more spirited build up and fights. I find their fights to be the most exciting of the recent fights coming out.

Pretty ridiculous to call it "disgusting and not right" IMO.

Women are always mad.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I was at the last UFC event here and didn't see or have any problems. The atmosphere in the arena was deader than I expected, but then again it's not like we had much to cheer for. The main event was JDS dominating a gassed Shane Carwin.
You were lucky then.
I saw several fights and more yelling and arguing than cheering. Walking back up Georgia st after was even worse, anger, beer and testosterone don't mix.

The very opposite of all the events I've seen in Vegas that were nothing but positive.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
You were lucky then.
I saw several fights and more yelling and arguing than cheering. Walking back up Georgia st after was even worse, anger, beer and testosterone don't mix.

The very opposite of all the events I've seen in Vegas that were nothing but positive.

I have that vibe about Vancouver in general. Very rude city compared to many other large cities I've spent time in. The nicest looking hands down thow.

But back to UFC I'd love to see a Dos Santos vs Brown and MacDonald vs Cote on the card

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I think they just needed a main event for the Fox card and did the best they could.

Henderson has a few options, but none are particularly appealing. I'd like him to fight Khabib next but who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad