GDT: UFC on Fox: Alvarez vs. Poirier 2

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dana said he wants Ferguson on the same card as Conor vs Khabib, Ferguson vs Poirier is the only fight that makes sense.

That'd be great. It might be tough to do if Conor vs. Khabib is in early October but I think that's the way to go if everyone is healthy. That leaves Lee as the odd man out but maybe he can fight someone like Pettis.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That'd be great. It might be tough to do if Conor vs. Khabib is in early October but I think that's the way to go if everyone is healthy. That leaves Lee as the odd man out but maybe he can fight someone like Pettis.

Not sure I'd classify Lee as the "odd man out" in this situation. I think he's probably 2 wins away from being in title contention again, the other three are cleary ahead of him in the title picture. Winner of Ferguson/Poirier fighting winner of Conor/Khabib makes perfect sense.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The sound of Aldo's fist hitting Stephens' liver..... Jesus Christ. And Poirier should definitely be in line for a title shot soon. Or at the very least give the loser of Khabib/Conor.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
12-6 is the dumbest rule in MMA.

Enjoy PFL, Eddie. Dana and Sean Shelby were rooting hard for Porier tonight. They'll probably offer less than his last Bellator contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suxnet

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Aldo celebrating like he'd won a title was pretty sad. Way more over the top than Weidman after beating Gastelum, and Weidman got killed for that emotion by a bunch of folks here.

The big takeaway from the Aldo fight is that Stephens caught him and if he were a better fighter, would have finished him before the liver shot ever happened. Despite the win, I just don't see Aldo being able to stand up to top tier competition at this point. He gets wobbled way too easily and has since his second fight with Mendes.

I also thought JJ looked very tentative in there versus Torres and had Torres been even slightly more aggressive early, she could have pulled that win out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Aldo celebrating like he'd won a title was pretty sad. Way more over the top than Weidman after beating Gastelum, and Weidman got killed for that emotion by a bunch of folks here.

The big takeaway from the Aldo fight is that Stephens caught him and if he were a better fighter, would have finished him before the liver shot ever happened. Despite the win, I just don't see Aldo being able to stand up to top tier competition at this point. He gets wobbled way too easily and has since his second fight with Mendes.

I also thought JJ looked very tentative in there versus Torres and had Torres been even slightly more aggressive early, she could have pulled that win out.

The only thing at 145 is.. the top competition isn't that great. If Holloway leaves the division you're left with Ortega and a bunch of guys Aldo can hang with. Maybe Bektic or Volkanovski will move their way up and cause trouble.

Agreed on JJ.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The only thing at 145 is.. the top competition isn't that great. If Holloway leaves the division you're left with Ortega and a bunch of guys Aldo can hang with. Maybe Bektic or Volkanovski will move their way up and cause trouble.

Agreed on JJ.
I'm not sure how long Ortega is going to stay at 145 either. He's huge for a featherweight.

Glad Dustin won and I'm glad he called out Eddie for saying he quit even after Dustin stood up for him after the illegal knee. Didn't like that from Eddie at all. Bummer that it happened that way though. 12-6 elbow is a stupid rule. Rules are rules though and the ref made the right decision, but now Eddie has an excuse.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Eh, don't see anything wrong really with Aldo celebrating the way he did. He's been through a lot and after dominating the division it probably really hurt him mentally losing to McGregor and Holloway x2 in the fashion that he did. I mean after the McGregor fight he broke down in the locker room and cried pretty hard.

It's not like he was boasting or gloating after the win, it was more like a mental reminder for himself that he still has something left. Aldo is a super humble dude for the most part so it wasn't really coming from a place of arrogance or maliciousness.

Reactions: m9

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Eh, don't see anything wrong really with Aldo celebrating the way he did. He's been through a lot and after dominating the division it probably really hurt him mentally losing to McGregor and Holloway x2 in the fashion that he did. I mean after the McGregor fight he broke down in the locker room and cried pretty hard.

It's not like he was boasting or gloating after the win, it was more like a mental reminder for himself that he still has something left. Aldo is a super humble dude for the most part so it wasn't really coming from a place of arrogance or maliciousness.

He beat at best a career mid card guy in Stephens, and only after he nearly got slept earlier in the round. The emotion from Aldo is fine, but again, I didn't have an issue with it when Weidman did a similar thing. All I was looking for was a little consistency from the folks that shit on CW for doing the same thing. If Weidman did it and it was considered bad form, why is it suddenly okay because Aldo did it? You know?

Reactions: McGhost Division

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He beat at best a career mid card guy in Stephens, and only after he nearly got slept earlier in the round. The emotion from Aldo is fine, but again, I didn't have an issue with it when Weidman did a similar thing. All I was looking for was a little consistency from the folks that **** on CW for doing the same thing. If Weidman did it and it was considered bad form, why is it suddenly okay because Aldo did it? You know?
Fair enough. I didn't really have a problem with what Weidman did.

Reactions: LSCII

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Aldo was the underdog going into this fight, and was pretty much written off from being a contender again. Not saying this makes him the #1 contender by any means, but I can understand the emotion after getting the stoppage. Maaaybe a little over the top, but f*** it, it's Jose Aldo, he's earned it IMO. Weidman's win came in his hometown, so I didn't mind that either.

Not sure what the final attendance was, but it looked like a great atmosphere. Way better than Vancouver's last card with Condit/Maia. Well done, Calgary.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He beat at best a career mid card guy in Stephens, and only after he nearly got slept earlier in the round. The emotion from Aldo is fine, but again, I didn't have an issue with it when Weidman did a similar thing. All I was looking for was a little consistency from the folks that **** on CW for doing the same thing. If Weidman did it and it was considered bad form, why is it suddenly okay because Aldo did it? You know?
Because Weidman sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->