Lightweight bout: John Makdessi vs. Ross Pearson
Women's Flyweight bout: Alexis Davis vs. Katlyn Chookagian
Flyweight bout: Dustin Ortiz vs. Matheus Nicolau
Women's Strawweight bout: Randa Markos vs. Nina Ansaroff
Lightweight bout: Devin Powell vs. Alvaro Herrera​

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This looks like a fun card on paper.

It's hard to imagine the main event not being good. I guess Alvarez could try to use his wrestling but even then Poirier isn't an easy guy to control. The first fight was great before the illegal knee so hopefully this one delivers as well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Main card should be great.

Would love to see an old-school Aldo performance here and have him fight Ortega for that 145lb title.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
OT thought, but the UFC would probably start growing more excitement for these Fox/Fight Night cards if they started booking them in cities that involve the main event fighters. There's no good reason why this card shouldn't be in Philly. Liverpool and Long Island last year are the only ones I can think of recently where they've done this. I guess to a lesser extent, Atlantic City with Edgar and Branch.

Boxing does this all the time for smaller shows, and it helps sells tickets. This card may not sell out Wells Fargo Center, but it would probably pack Temple's basketball arena (10,000 capacity). The atmosphere would be much better too.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
OT thought, but the UFC would probably start growing more excitement for these Fox/Fight Night cards if they started booking them in cities that involve the main event fighters. There's no good reason why this card shouldn't be in Philly. Liverpool and Long Island last year are the only ones I can think of recently where they've done this. I guess to a lesser extent, Atlantic City with Edgar and Branch.

Boxing does this all the time for smaller shows, and it helps sells tickets. This card may not sell out Wells Fargo Center, but it would probably pack Temple's basketball arena (10,000 capacity). The atmosphere would be much better too.

They do it in Brazil, but yeah that's about it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm excited for this card and one of the few that don't have any injury/missing weight issues.

Eddie vs. Dustin 1 was a great fight. Can't imagine this one won't be a repeat unless someone gets caught early. Perfect fight to put on FOX especially with the rematch angle.

Aldo and JJ are interesting. They are similar situations. The champions of their division for a long, long time. Lose their belt. Coming off back-to-back losses for the title. Are Max/Rose just bad matchups for them? Or are they broken? I'm rooting for Tecia, but I think JJ is a tough fight for her. Too long. I don't have any idea on who will win between Aldo/Stephens, but I'm rooting for Stephens just to get some fresh blood at the top of that division.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I messaged Jon Anik half kidding to hook up some tickets on Twitter and he actually hooked me up. Pretty pumped except it's a Fox card and the pacing is terrible.

Reactions: Jasper and Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I messaged Jon Anik half kidding to hook up some tickets on Twitter and he actually hooked me up. Pretty pumped except it's a Fox card and the pacing is terrible.

That's awesome.

At least it's Fox and not FS1 so it starts earlier and there are fewer fights on the main card. Those FS1 cards just drag on forever.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don’t think Johnson is very good but that was still impressive by Makhachev. He made it look so easy once it got to the ground.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I haven't really found this card great, but happy to see Aldo get the win. I think he fights Ortega for the interim or real belt at some point.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice to see Aldo not only pick up a win but a finish. Those were some great replays of the body shot and Stephens' facial expression as he realized he was done.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great fight and finish for Poirier. That 12-6 elbow cost Alvarez big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->