GDT: UFC on ESPN: Woodley vs. Burns

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Burns looked fantastic but I'm interested to see how he does against an opponent that actually...does something. Woodley just didn't do anything in that fight; similar to the Usman one. I don't know if that's just because he was neutralized or whatever, but for a guy that is so explosive and strong he sure is really passive. Even the few times he actually came forward he looked good in this fight, but that was what...once or twice? Really liking WW Burns though, maybe he can get a fight with Conor if Masvidal finally stops dicking around and takes the title fight.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

member 51464

Woodley should either retire or accept he is likely a gatekeeper at best and start fighting people ranked in the mid-teens or unranked.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I disagree with the bonus decisions tonight

they went Elliott vs Royval for FOTN and Burns and Dern for bonuses

I would have gone Quarantillo and Carlyle for FOTN. Probably Burns and Hill for POTN. I honestly didn’t think Dern was that impressive. Cifers was a major dog and took it to her. The leg lock finish being the first in women’s UFC is a nice accolade though so I guess I get it

Don’t understand how they didn’t go with Billy Q and Spike tho

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I disagree with the bonus decisions tonight

they went Elliott vs Royval for FOTN and Burns and Dern for bonuses

I would have gone Quarantillo and Carlyle for FOTN. Probably Burns and Hill for POTN. I honestly didn’t think Dern was that impressive. Cifers was a major dog and took it to her. The leg lock finish being the first in women’s UFC is a nice accolade though so I guess I get it

Don’t understand how they didn’t go with Billy Q and Spike tho
Either way, Dana said he would be kicking some money their way for the fight tonight.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Woodley was so frustrating to watch after the 1st round, like he gave up or was injured to the point he couldn't sustain any offence aside from the random wild hook.

I don't know what to think about Burns because Woodley looked so awful.
Agreed, I think Burns should still fight another top fighter before being a viable option for the belt.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Burns looked great, but I think Woodley is still the bigger story. He's a broken fighter. He talked about how that wasn't really him that showed up against Usman, but that looked like the same guy that just fought Burns. I don't know if getting clipped early broke him or what, but as the commentators mentioned, he was clapping trying to get himself into the fight. That's not a good sign for a fighter let alone 2 fights in a row. He just seems done. At 38, maybe it's just time to move on. At least we found out Burns can go 5.

Arena with fans > Apex > Arena without fans.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Woodley has lost 10 straight rounds. I hope any talk about him as welterweight goat is destroyed. Darren Till was his only impressive defense IMO.
Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, actually thinks Woodley is the WW GOAT. That is unquestionably GSP.

After GSP, though, I think you could make a case for Hughes or Woodley. A couple losses late in his career for Woodley doesn't change that much IMO.

Reactions: longtime lurker

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Woodley took the loss well and did show admirable toughness in the 1st, he deserves some credit for being able to go a full 25. Might be nearing the end of the road though, I actually felt kinda bad for him in there.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Burns looked great, but I think Woodley is still the bigger story. He's a broken fighter. He talked about how that wasn't really him that showed up against Usman, but that looked like the same guy that just fought Burns. I don't know if getting clipped early broke him or what, but as the commentators mentioned, he was clapping trying to get himself into the fight. That's not a good sign for a fighter let alone 2 fights in a row. He just seems done. At 38, maybe it's just time to move on. At least we found out Burns can go 5.

Arena with fans > Apex > Arena without fans.

agree on everything

might just be his time to go...he’s got outside interests so it’s not like he’s one of these guys that identifies exclusively as a fighter

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, actually thinks Woodley is the WW GOAT. That is unquestionably GSP.

After GSP, though, I think you could make a case for Hughes or Woodley. A couple losses late in his career for Woodley doesn't change that much IMO.

GSP is without question the WW GOAT (he’s probably my all time GOAT) but I will say this- he could have come back and fought Woodley if he wanted to but he chose Bisping. And we can say it’s because he wanted to be a MW champ but idk...it just seemed to me he had the itch to compete and felt Bisping was the best combo of safety/money for him (I think Bisping is a better B-side than Woodley, he doesn’t have the same nuclear bomb of a right hand, and most importantly he doesn’t have the wrestling to keep up with GSP)

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
GSP is without question the WW GOAT (he’s probably my all time GOAT) but I will say this- he could have come back and fought Woodley if he wanted to but he chose Bisping. And we can say it’s because he wanted to be a MW champ but idk...it just seemed to me he had the itch to compete and felt Bisping was the best combo of safety/money for him (I think Bisping is a better B-side than Woodley, he doesn’t have the same nuclear bomb of a right hand, and most importantly he doesn’t have the wrestling to keep up with GSP)

Bisping at 185 was also no-lose for his legacy. Come back and lose at 185? Oh well. Come back and lose to the new champ at 170? Woodley is in the discussion for best of all-time with GSP. It was a smart career move by GSP.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bisping at 185 was also no-lose for his legacy. Come back and lose at 185? Oh well. Come back and lose to the new champ at 170? Woodley is in the discussion for best of all-time with GSP. It was a smart career move by GSP.

precisely

I’m not going to fault him for it- at the end of the day Bisping was still a very good fighter and he was going up in weight so it’s not like the fight was a cupcake. But I think that motivation you outlined is very legitimate

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Agreed. There's a no.2 debate to be had for sure.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Great job by Burns, nice to see him keep pushing in the last round or two when he was clearly dominating the scorecards. Not to take anything away from Burns, because I'm sure it's a lot to do to his performance, but Woodley looked more like the guy who lost to Jake Shields and other earlier fights than the dominant champion-Woodley. He had a good run for a while but I don't think he's anywhere in the conversation with GSP as best WW.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Usman is a couple wins away from being the clearcut #2 guy. If he goes out and beats Masvidal & Burns that's an impressive run.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Burns is a real problem for Usman. Very impressive standup, and not a guy you want to grapple with. I thought he’d be at a strength disadvantage with Woodley, but nope. He might even be the favourite against Usman

Reactions: VanillaCoke

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If he opens as the favorite against Usman I would be throwing a lot of money on Kamaru

Burns made Woodley look bad last night but ppl might forget that Kamaru made him look even worse

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad