GDT: UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Poirier v Oliviera is the fight for me and do Ferguson v Hooker.

I think Poirier deserves a bigger name at this point

If I were his management team, I certainly wouldn't be looking to have him face the #7 ranked fighter in the division

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He's in the typical gatekeeper spot for now since nobody wants to see him fight Khabib again. Ferguson would be good as well but my preference are the ones listed.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He's in the typical gatekeeper spot for now since nobody wants to see him fight Khabib again. Ferguson would be good as well but my preference are the ones listed.

I disagree he's a gatekeeper

UFC.com currently has him ranked 11th on their P4P list

Interesting they have him ranked 3rd in his division one spot behind Ferguson, but he's one spot ahead of Ferugson on the P4P list

To me, fighters like Cerrone, Diego Sanchez, and Jim Miller are gatekeepers, not Poirier

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I watch two of the fights; Gall vs Perry and Hooker vs Poirier.

Last time I was here, you lot were telling me that these blokes would diet before the weigh-in and then pack on as much pounds in the weeks right before the fight. I am curious about the Gall and Perry division because Gall looked awfully skinny for the welterweight, but then I saw that both Gall and Perry weigh at 170 lbs. Perry looked in the 170 lbs, but Gall looked like he weighs at 150 max (little body fat I saw). Then I got super confused because their weight should be in middleweight division, why are they fighting in the welterweight class? I also wanted to say is that interview with Perry was top notch, love blokes like that even though his tattoo selections were questionable at best.

Also is there some sort of training regime that UFC fighters conduct? I ask because I consider myself in good shape, but these blokes are like in insanely good shape and would like to know their workout routine (any website/Youtube worth chequing out?). Also is there different training for different weight classes? I would consider myself in the welterweight division. Additionally, I had a friend who did wrestling through high school and college, he said he had to be under a strict diet and had like a calorie budget of just 1500 per day. Do UFC and MMA go under the same occurrences?

As for the Hooker and Poirier fight, from my noob untrained eye I don’t think Poirier was a better fight at all. It was like watching that episode of The Simpsons where Homer pretty much won the boxing match because he could take a thousand punches. Hooker technically demolished him in the first two rounds, that patella to the face was awesome. All of Poirier’s best stuff happened when Hooker was obviously exhausted and legitimately could not defend anything.

Another question I saw was that a lot of these fighters aren’t black belts, right? I saw a lot them are purple/brown and going on Wikipedia for ten minutes for Brazilian jiu jitsu , that’s below black I think. Is that sort of common to see that a lot of these fighters are not actually black belts?

Sorry for all these questions, I am quite interested to know more.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I disagree he's a gatekeeper

UFC.com currently has him ranked 11th on their P4P list

Interesting they have him ranked 3rd in his division one spot behind Ferguson, but he's one spot ahead of Ferugson on the P4P list

To me, fighters like Cerrone, Diego Sanchez, and Jim Miller are gatekeepers, not Poirier

He's a gatekeeper for a title shot as long as Khabib has the belt. That's all I meant.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't know that gatekeeper is the right term, but he's definitely in a tough spot. A Khabib rematch isn't happening any time soon and even though he should probably get the shot if Gaethje were to win, they'd probably give it to Conor. I'd love to see Poirier-Tony. What a fun fight and depending on who has the belt at the time, it could be enough to give the winner a title shot.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't know that gatekeeper is the right term, but he's definitely in a tough spot. A Khabib rematch isn't happening any time soon and even though he should probably get the shot if Gaethje were to win, they'd probably give it to Conor. I'd love to see Poirier-Tony. What a fun fight and depending on who has the belt at the time, it could be enough to give the winner a title shot.

If Khabib wins, you hope Ferguson beats Poirier

If Gaethje wins, you hope Poirier beats Ferguson

McGregor is retired

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Last time I was here, you lot were telling me that these blokes would diet before the weigh-in and then pack on as much pounds in the weeks right before the fight. I am curious about the Gall and Perry division because Gall looked awfully skinny for the welterweight, but then I saw that both Gall and Perry weigh at 170 lbs. Perry looked in the 170 lbs, but Gall looked like he weighs at 150 max (little body fat I saw). Then I got super confused because their weight should be in middleweight division, why are they fighting in the welterweight class? I also wanted to say is that interview with Perry was top notch, love blokes like that even though his tattoo selections were questionable at best.
The weigh in is the day before the fight. It depends on a lot of factors, but most guys are going to be on some sort of diet and training regiment throughout camp (if not year round). Then typically the week of the fight is when they will be on a really restrictive diet (both food and liquid) and that's what people usual call the weight cut. This is when you see fighters in the sauna with sweatshirts and shit on. Just to sweat out as much water weight as they need to. It's dehydrating your body so it's not good and you want to spend as little amount of time like that as possible. So it's timed for the weigh in on Friday morning. Once they make weight, they start rehydrating and eating. This is 'packing on as much pounds as possible' but it's from Friday morning to Saturday night when they step in the cage. It's not uncommon for guys to put on 15lbs in that time just from eating and drinking.

In Gall and Perry's specific cases, yeah, Perry seems naturally bigger than Gall. So he probably had to cut more weight. Gall's on the small side for welterweight, but to drop another 15lb to go to lightweight would be pretty crazy and he'd probably compromise his body too much.

Also is there some sort of training regime that UFC fighters conduct? I ask because I consider myself in good shape, but these blokes are like in insanely good shape and would like to know their workout routine (any website/Youtube worth chequing out?). Also is there different training for different weight classes? I would consider myself in the welterweight division. Additionally, I had a friend who did wrestling through high school and college, he said he had to be under a strict diet and had like a calorie budget of just 1500 per day. Do UFC and MMA go under the same occurrences?
The short answer is everybody is different.

As for the Hooker and Poirier fight, from my noob untrained eye I don’t think Poirier was a better fight at all. It was like watching that episode of The Simpsons where Homer pretty much won the boxing match because he could take a thousand punches. Hooker technically demolished him in the first two rounds, that patella to the face was awesome. All of Poirier’s best stuff happened when Hooker was obviously exhausted and legitimately could not defend anything.
Well, it was a 5 round fight. The first round definitely went to Hooker. I think Poirier was struggling with Hooker's length and speed. But from the second round on, he started figuring it out and Hooker's speed advantage started to even out as he was getting tired. Which is not uncommon. Everybody is different, but guys with fast twitch muscles tend to lose that speed advantage as the fight goes on. The second was close. Hooker took it with that barrage of punches in the last 10 seconds, but before that, it would have been a tough one to score.

Also, as I said above, Poirier's power played a role here. His shots were taking more out of Hooker than Hooker's were from Poirier which is part of why we was able to swing the momentum in the later rounds.

Another question I saw was that a lot of these fighters aren’t black belts, right? I saw a lot them are purple/brown and going on Wikipedia for ten minutes for Brazilian jiu jitsu , that’s below black I think. Is that sort of common to see that a lot of these fighters are not actually black belts?
BJJ is just one aspect of MMA. You don't necessarily need to be a black belt if you're a great boxer, kick boxer, wrestler, etc. It's not uncommon for top of the food chain guys to be brown, purple, or even blue belts.

Also, not all black belts are created equal. They are awarded by the gyms. I could go start my own gym and start passing out black belts and no one would give 2 shits. Or you could get one from Marcelo Garcia and then you're world class. So there's a lot of guys in MMA that have black belts, but there's not many that can actually compete on the world stage in BJJ.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If Khabib wins, you hope Ferguson beats Poirier

If Gaethje wins, you hope Poirier beats Ferguson

McGregor is retired
Conor's not really retired, though.

If he is, they might as well just wait to see what happens with Khabib-Gaethje and give the next shot to Poirier or Tony (even though he's coming off a loss) depending on who wins. They should maybe do that anyway, but they won't because Conor is Conor.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Conor's not really retired, though.

If he is, they might as well just wait to see what happens with Khabib-Gaethje and give the next shot to Poirier or Tony (even though he's coming off a loss) depending on who wins. They should maybe do that anyway, but they won't because Conor is Conor.

I was joking...

member 51464

If Gaethje wins, Poirier definitely has a shot
Gaethje wants to avenge the loss. So it'll be either Dustin or Conor.

I mean, if it's a super close, razor thin decision then maybe there is a rematch. But I've gotten the impression the UFC brass appreciates Khabib being the face of the sport in new markets but wouldn't mind him being out of the title picture since he's fairly inactive.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I mean, if it's a super close, razor thin decision then maybe there is a rematch. But I've gotten the impression the UFC brass appreciates Khabib being the face of the sport in new markets but wouldn't mind him being out of the title picture since he's fairly inactive.
I think if Gaethje wins, Khabib gets a rematch.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Gaethje said on JRE his plan is to fight Khabib then Conor then Poirier and then to retire. Easier said than done of course and it's not entirely up to him, but if he keeps winning, I think that's pretty reasonable. There's just too much money involved with a Conor fight to go with Poirier first.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->