GDT: UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Poirier trains boxing (primarily), that cardio won him the fight.

member 51464

Hooker stole a decision from Felder to get here and this was his reward, lol. Fight game is tough.

member 51464

I still want to see Poirier-McGregor 2

Mostly for the banter because Conor couldn't resist
Conor is a p***y nowadays and only will pick his spots going forward. Top of his game Poirier is a whole different kettle of fish than over the hill Cowboy.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Maybe the 5th since Dustin tripled him up on strikes and had a few solid submission attempts as well? I didn't really see it, but at least the right guy won.
Must have been. Didn't seem like the strikes were that lopsided watching the 5th. I didn't think Hooker landed much in the 5th, but I didn't realize Poirier landed that much.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Conor is a p***y nowadays and only will pick his spots going forward. Top of his game Poirier is a whole different kettle of fish than over the hill Cowboy.

If Conor hits Dustin with the left he is going to sleep.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Exactly. And why the fight will most likely never happen.

Conor either goes out fighting cans or he probably never fights again.

member 51464

Must have been. Didn't seem like the strikes were that lopsided watching the 5th. I didn't think Hooker landed much in the 5th, but I didn't realize Poirier landed that much.
Agreed. I was definitely surprised when the stats showed it 61-20. That's a lot, haha.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Well that's sort of what happened before but Dustin has evolved a lot since then. Same with Holloway.

2 great fights for Conor but will never happen unfortunately.

Dustin looked very hittable in there and he is coming off major surgery. I could see Conor taking that fight for another crack at the belt on the lline.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Dustin looked very hittable in there and he is coming off major surgery. I could see Conor taking that fight for another crack at the belt on the lline.
Poirier has a few major deficiencies which is why he's never been a champion but he has the ability to win pretty much any fight with his boxing skills. Conor doesn't want any part of it. If Conor wins, so what and if he loses he won't exactly be the male Ronda but his public persona takes a much bigger loss than any gain from a win.

Edit: I actually forgot Poirier was interim champ for a minute but my argument is still the same.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Poirier has a few major deficiencies which is why he's never been a champion but he has the ability to win pretty much any fight with his boxing skills. Conor doesn't want any part of it. If Conor wins, so what and if he loses he won't exactly be the male Ronda but his public persona takes a much bigger loss than any gain from a win.

Edit: I actually forgot Poirier was interim champ for a minute but my argument is still the same.

If Conor beats him he is undeniable to challenge the winner of Khabib/Gaethje. That would be the incentive for the fight. I honestly think it is a winnable fight for Conor.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If Conor beats him he is undeniable to challenge the winner of Khabib/Gaethje. That would be the incentive for the fight. I honestly think it is a winnable fight for Conor.
I agree that Conor would probably beat him but that's not the point. Conor can and probably will hold out for at least a rematch or Khabib level fight. There's literally zero upside in it for Conor not to wait.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’d go FOTN poirier vs hooker

performances of the night Poirier, Hooker ;)

Wasn’t a bloodbath like last weekend was for me. We regroup on fight island

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
What's next for Poirier?

How about Poirier vs Ferguson? They've never fought each other

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad