GDT: UFC on ESPN: Overeem vs. Rozenstruik

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great finish. Awful first 3 rounds from JR but he got better as the fight went on.

Not a fun fight overall though, but big win for JR. He's got lots of work to do, though.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Great finish. Awful first 3 rounds from JR but he got better as the fight went on.

Not a fun fight overall though, but big win for JR. He's got lots of work to do, though.

Now I want him vs Lewis.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That fight really sucked right up until the end. You could actually see his lip rip open on the slow motion replay.

He was kinda lucky that it got stopped after Overeem got up with that little time remaining. Letting up and celebrating early could've cost him. It was the right call though since Overeem was stumbling and a part of his lip was hanging off.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Wow. Didn't think it would take until the last 5 seconds, but that's what I predicted. A little bit questionable stoppage IMO. Nasty cut obviously, but Overeem was still there and started to get up. The ref kinda stepped in, kinda didn't, and Rozenstruik just treated it as a walk off.

Really smart fight for Overeem until it looked like he was gassed in the last round and let his guard down. Maybe too much wrestling for Overeem? Or too much failed wrestling.

Rozenstruik calling out Francis is smart. He's in major trouble against anyone with a ground game. Nobody wants to fight Francis, but at least you know he's going to stand with you.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Can’t let overeem continue with his lip hanging off like that and 1,000,000 ko’s On his record. That was an absolute bomb from hell

Surprised he didn’t get the submission though. Rozenstruik did a good job going full dead fish on the bottom

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Pictures aren't even postable. Super Graphic. Mifght be the worst cut since Marvin Eastman,

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Were people this concerned with Robbie Lawler when he was able to continue vs Rory with his dangling lip? I think the stoppage was fine. However, bad habit to turn around after landing the bomb before the fight is officially stopped. I could have easily seen that not being stopped as well based on how quick Alistair got up. Tough break for Alistair.

Boring fight, crazy finish.

Reactions: LSCII, m9 and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That was a horrible fight until the last punch. I was so confused and my only guess is the ref instantly stopped it once he saw the lip and Rozen realized it. Pumped for next week
I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the ref is supposed to stop a fight based on a cut. That's why they have doctors. A ref can pause the fight to have a doctor look at a cut, but he shouldn't end it. A ref is only supposed to end the fight because a fighter isn't protecting themselves or taps. Overeem was still protecting himself IMO by trying to get back up (thanks in large part to Rozenstruik not following up the knock down). I don't know. It was a very strange ending.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't really know what to think about the stoppage. Basically it was a huge mistake by JR not to follow-up but he got bailed out.

I actually don't really know if Overeem was defending himself after the knockdown. He got up which was probably just instinct but didn't look all there. I actually assume that's why Dan stopped the fight, not due to the cut.

Reactions: CDJ

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I'm pretty sure Miragliotta was shielding Overeem those last 5 seconds or whatever it was. So he would've saved Overeem unfairly from any more damage if Rozen had realized it wasn't over, which really could've cost him. Thought Miragliotta sort of realized that when he called it off. Thought it was the right call even though it was weird the way it went down.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't really know what to think about the stoppage. Basically it was a huge mistake by JR not to follow-up but he got bailed out.

I actually don't really know if Overeem was defending himself after the knockdown. He got up which was probably just instinct but didn't look all there. I actually assume that's why Dan stopped the fight, not due to the cut.

Yeah he was on very wobbly legs getting up, it was awkward looking but I’m 100% behind that stoppage.

On one hand I’m glad a guy like Rozenstruik didn’t take the opportunity to land another bomb on a seated Overeem Because then we may have seen half of his face land in the first row, on the other hand he’s very lucky dan stopped the fight (a very justifiable stoppage but not one that I think is guaranteed)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Thoughts on the ref telling Struve that he was likely winning the fight, and that to quit would result in a No Contest?

To me, I don't think the ref should be giving his opinion, or trying to influence a fighter's decision in that situation

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thoughts on the ref telling Struve that he was likely winning the fight, and that to quit would result in a No Contest?

To me, I don't think the ref should be giving his opinion, or trying to influence a fighter's decision in that situation

He probably shouldn’t have done that, I don’t think it influenced Struve though. I think the crowd did more than anything

Definitely shouldn’t have continued though. You could tell after the second one he was REALLY uncomfortable trying to continue in the fight

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He probably shouldn’t have done that, I don’t think it influenced Struve though. I think the crowd did more than anything

Definitely shouldn’t have continued though. You could tell after the second one he was REALLY uncomfortable trying to continue in the fight
Big Dan said it would have been a NC if he couldn't continue. I could be wrong on this one, too, but I believe neither fighter gets the win bonus if it is a NC. Since Struve was likely winning (especially with the point deduction), I think he continued so he could have a shot at his win bonus. For him, there was no difference between a NC and a loss, so why not try to survive and get the win bonus? Dan should have DQ'ed Rothwell IMO.

Definitely seems out of bounds for a ref, but if my understanding above is right, then I think he was trying to do him a favor. He shouldn't have done it, but it's not something that he should be crucified over either IMO.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I think it depends on when Dan actually waived it off, but I don't see how Dan didn't mess it up.

If he waived it off when Overeem was still on the ground, I think it was premature. I mean in hindsight, yes Overeem wasn't all there, but he was moving and defending himself. I feel like we've seen guys in worse shape given a longer chance to survive, let alone when there's less than 10 seconds left.

If it was after Overeem got up and stumbled, OK, maybe, but again, I feel like we've seen guys in worse shape given a chance to survive. Also, I think he started stepping in when Overeem was still on the ground. If Rozenstruik had tried to follow up, I don't think he would have hit him again because Dan was stepping in.

I don't know. It's not the most egregious stoppage. Just not a good night for Dan.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Now I want him vs Lewis.

Why? That will be literally unwatchable until one of them ends up putting the other to sleep. Neither guy is actually capable of doing anything but throwing one punch at a time and hoping their opponent goes to sleep. Great power but also very minimal actual MMA skills comparatively....

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So fleshing out the HW division, we've got:

Miocic v DC (TBD)
Blaydes v JDS (January)
Derrick Lewis v Latifi (February)

That leaves Ngannou, Volkov, and Rozenstruik as top ten guys who need fights. You might be able to add Walt Harris in there as well depending on when he's coming back. I know Ngannou has been asking for Volkov so that still makes some sense. Kind of leaves Rozenstruik on the sidelines for now, but things change quickly so who knows.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
So fleshing out the HW division, we've got:

Miocic v DC (TBD)
Blaydes v JDS (January)
Derrick Lewis v Latifi (February)

That leaves Ngannou, Volkov, and Rozenstruik as top ten guys who need fights. You might be able to add Walt Harris in there as well depending on when he's coming back. I know Ngannou has been asking for Volkov so that still makes some sense. Kind of leaves Rozenstruik on the sidelines for now, but things change quickly so who knows.
I feel like Francis wants ANYBODY. Volkov was just the highest ranked guy that was an option for one reason or another. I think after getting called out and the news making finish, Francis is going to end up fighting Rozenstruik.

It's a little bit further down the road I guess, but I'm also curious how Rumble is going to fit in. Apparently he is targeting June/July to come back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->