GDT: UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Man, that sucks. Poor Cain and unfortunate for Francis he didn't even really get to beat him.

Cain's gotta be hanging up here, right?

Edit: He's saying he got clipped? If so, then Francis's power is even more scary than I thought. It didn't look like he hit him.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Man, that sucks. Poor Cain and unfortunate for Francis he didn't even really get to beat him.

Cain's gotta be hanging up here, right?

Edit: He's saying he got clipped? If so, then Francis's power is even more scary than I thought. It didn't look like he hit him.
It was a short uppercut. They showed it on the replay. I think he buckled from the shot, honestly.

There’s no doubt his knee is f***ed though.

member 51464

So.....who fights DC? Stipe beat Ngannou but has just been hanging out. Ngannou had the snore-fest with Lewis after the Stipe loss, but then had the two quick finishes of Blaydes and Cain.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That wasn't the knee that started it, Ngannou caught him and that caused his legs to splay out. Full credit to Ngannou.

Figured Ngannou might be able to crack Cain's big head, didn't think it would be that quick.

Ended up being a good card, other than the trash woman's fight on the main card.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So.....who fights DC? Stipe beat Ngannou but has just been hanging out. Ngannou had the snore-fest with Lewis after the Stipe loss, but then had the two quick finishes of Blaydes and Cain.

Ngannou should get it. Miocic needs to shut his mouth and go win a fight. Glad DC called him out for it.

Reactions: Avs_19 and dss97

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Don't know that I'd want to see DC take down Francis and lay on him for five rounds like Stipe did.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I still think it's going to be Brock, Jones, or Stipe.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ngannou should get it. Miocic needs to shut his mouth and go win a fight. Glad DC called him out for it.

This might've been worst case scenario for Stipe. While he's sitting out talking about what's owed and deserved, Ngannou just went on ESPN and wrecked one of the best ever for everyone to see. DC vs. Ngannou might be a bigger PPV fight and more appealing for DC because Ngannou finished his friend and teammate.

member 51464

I still think it's going to be Brock, Jones, or Stipe.
We already know Jones isn't coming to heavyweight. What is the status on Brock dicking around with WWE? Has he been in the testing pool for USADA long enough to fight?

DC's birthday is next month, unless I am misremembering, so it seems like his next fight might be his last. I doubt he wants to get posterized by Jones at light heavyweight again, so I think he may go for Ngannou and hanging it up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
We already know Jones isn't coming to heavyweight. What is the status on Brock dicking around with WWE? Has he been in the testing pool for USADA long enough to fight?

DC's birthday is next month, unless I am misremembering, so it seems like his next fight might be his last. I doubt he wants to get posterized by Jones at light heavyweight again, so I think he may go for Ngannou and hanging it up.

DC already announced he's not retiring by his birthday. Probably has 3 fights left in him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

A few days ago, Jones tweeted when he heard Cain say that he thinks he could beat Jones and ended the tweet with "My heavyweight days are inevitable." Might not be against DC, but I think Jones will fight at HW at some point.

I have no idea the status of Brock and WWE, but he's been in the testing pool long enough.

As @m9 already said, DC has announced that he's pushed back his retirement date.

I just don't think Francis would be a big enough fight to risk getting his head knocked into outer space, but I guess DC could think he would do exactly what Stipe did to him.

Reactions: member 51464

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Angle of the uppercut. Much clearer that Cain did in fact get clipped. Ngannou has scary power.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Angle of the uppercut. Much clearer that Cain did in fact get clipped. Ngannou has scary power.

He got hit , but the part that is hard to believe is that it buckled his knees. It was like a 6in punch with his back against the cage. Either Francis's power is scarier than I thought or Cain just wasn't right.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This might've been worst case scenario for Stipe. While he's sitting out talking about what's owed and deserved, Ngannou just went on ESPN and wrecked one of the best ever for everyone to see. DC vs. Ngannou might be a bigger PPV fight and more appealing for DC because Ngannou finished his friend and teammate.
It might be worse case for Stipe in terms of getting the next title shot, but it makes his win against Francis that much more impressive. Before Francis KO'ed Blaydes and now Cain, I think some people (myself included) were kind of writing that one off as Francis being over hyped. Now he looks like the real f***ing deal and Stipe manhandled him.

I don't think Francis beating Cain makes it personal for him, though. These guys are professionals. Especially DC and Cain. And it's not like there was a bunch of bad blood or anything. His buddy lost. It happens. I think DC will do whatever makes him the most money.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sorry to triple post, but I just had one more comment.

Maybe the most disappointing part for me is that I really wanted to see Stipe-Cain. I guess it could still happen, but Cain's going to have to win a couple first. Otherwise, it won't have the same significance.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sorry to triple post, but I just had one more comment.

Maybe the most disappointing part for me is that I really wanted to see Stipe-Cain. I guess it could still happen, but Cain's going to have to win a couple first. Otherwise, it won't have the same significance.

Why can't it happen? It would be a good fight with both coming off a loss.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Worst crowd I've seen
Lotta booing that's for sure. Not sure if you could tell on TV but the crowd had a full on wave going and also did the Bray Wyatt firefly entrance with their phones (both during the women's fight).

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Why can't it happen? It would be a good fight with both coming off a loss.
It can, it's just not as exciting. Especially with Cain breaking down again.

In my storybook imagination, Cain beat Francis. DC beats Brock. Retires. Stipe-Cain for the vacant belt and the unofficial title as the greatest UFC HW ever.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad