GDT: UFC on ESPN: Dos Anjos vs. Edwards

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Edwards looked great. A grueling fight, not the most fun to watch, but he handled RDA extremely well. I'd love to see Edwards-Masvidal next. If Covington beats Lawler, I think Covington gets the title shot, so maybe there's a chance it could happen? If Covington loses, I think Masvidal gets the shot.

Almost feel bad for RDA. I mean, he was 155lb champ, so he's accomplished more than most guys ever will, but he's one of those guys that would really benefit from a 165lb division. I just think he's a little bit too small for a lot of WW.

Great finish by Harris. I think that knee really hurt Oleinik. Any word on whether he hurt his knee or ankle like Cruz said as he was leaving the cage? He might have got really busted up for being a 12 second fight. Maybe broken ribs, a concussion, and a knee/ankle.

WTF was Adams doing? This is why Hardy should not be on main cards yet. The guys he is fighting (and most likely him too) are just bad/inexperienced. It's a terrible product.

Got to give it to Vick. When he gets KO'ed, he gets f***ing KO'ed. Great shot by Hooker. I like whoever's idea of Hernandez vs. Hooker next, although I'm not convinced Hernandez actually won his fight last night. I don't think he is either judging by his reaction at the decision.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Leon Edwards is the most GSP-esque fighter i've seen in modern MMA. Guy is just so focused on being well-rounded and using that to exploit opponents' weaknesses.

There's was a moment in his career where I forgot he was a striker because all he did was wrestle in the cage. now he's starting to blend everything.

I was trying to figure out yesterday who he reminds me of in there and I couldn't really come up with anyone. All of the names I came up with were extremely high level guys and I thought it was a bit soon to make a comparison like that. But since you said GSP, I don't feel too bad.

I don't have a direct comparison though. He moves like a 145lb or 155lb guy, which is why my first thought on the feet was Max Holloway. He's not as dynamic of a striker though. I'm going to hold off on any comparisons because I really want to see him vs an elite wrestler first.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Edwards looked great. A grueling fight, not the most fun to watch, but he handled RDA extremely well. I'd love to see Edwards-Masvidal next. If Covington beats Lawler, I think Covington gets the title shot, so maybe there's a chance it could happen? If Covington loses, I think Masvidal gets the shot.

Almost feel bad for RDA. I mean, he was 155lb champ, so he's accomplished more than most guys ever will, but he's one of those guys that would really benefit from a 165lb division. I just think he's a little bit too small for a lot of WW.

Great finish by Harris. I think that knee really hurt Oleinik. Any word on whether he hurt his knee or ankle like Cruz said as he was leaving the cage? He might have got really busted up for being a 12 second fight. Maybe broken ribs, a concussion, and a knee/ankle.

WTF was Adams doing? This is why Hardy should not be on main cards yet. The guys he is fighting (and most likely him too) are just bad/inexperienced. It's a terrible product.

Got to give it to Vick. When he gets KO'ed, he gets ****ing KO'ed. Great shot by Hooker. I like whoever's idea of Hernandez vs. Hooker next, although I'm not convinced Hernandez actually won his fight last night. I don't think he is either judging by his reaction at the decision.

I think you're overrating what 5lbs would do when thinking about 165 v 170. RDA is kind of the same guy at both weights anyway - an elite grinder who is good at everything but not great at anything. He'll get taken down by elite wrestlers and beaten on the feet by elite strikers.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think you're overrating what 5lbs would do when thinking about 165 v 170. RDA is kind of the same guy at both weights anyway - an elite grinder who is good at everything but not great at anything. He'll get taken down by elite wrestlers and beaten on the feet by elite strikers.
Yeah, exactly. He's a grinder who's giving up size, strength, and reach to most of the top level guys. That's not a good combination. Of course some of the guys at WW might be able to make 165lb, too, but guys like Usman, Woodley, Wonderboy, Edwards, definitely Till, etc. wouldn't be able to do it.

I'm not saying he'd be the champ at 165lbs either. I'd imagine guys like Askren, Khabib, Tony, etc. would throw their hats in that ring and they'd probably be favorites against RDA, but it puts it on a move even playing field for RDA IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->