GDT: UFC on ESPN: Covington vs. Lawler

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Covington looking good. Easy 3 rounds for him so far.

member 51464

Lawler should sit. He's clearly gassed and is starting to get pieced up on his feet too.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Colby didn't do himself any favours with that post-fight interview

It's fine to play the heel, but he just comes across like a moron

Reactions: Rob and LSCII

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Completely one-sided. Unfortunately, Covington looked great and deserves his title shot. Now it's up to Usman.

member 51464

You take Robbie's best single round for striking output, and Colby doubled that in 4 of 5 rounds. That was a serious ass whooping. Damn it.

Reactions: m9

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wow what a performance from Colby, dude is one of my favorite fighters right now.

His fight with Usman is going to be interesting. His pace is insane!!!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dillon Danis is a far more amusing heel to me than Covington. He just needs more fights against real competition. His comments on this fight were pretty funny though...

UFC on ESPN 5 in Tweets: Pros react to Colby Covington’s lopsided win over Robbie Lawler

LOL at his response. Danis would get merked by most regional welterweight champions, never mind Covington

I'll start caring about what Danis says when he starts winning some real fights.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Dillon Danis is a far more amusing heel to me than Covington. He just needs more fights against real competition. His comments on this fight were pretty funny though...

UFC on ESPN 5 in Tweets: Pros react to Colby Covington’s lopsided win over Robbie Lawler
That's just it: Colby is not meant to be amusing or be the "cool heel" like a Conor or Chael etc.

Even down to him using Kurt Angle's entrance theme cause he knew it would get "YOU SUCK" chants. Chael always said he's the bad guy (and I love Chael P to death), but unlike Chael, Colby actually wants people to hate him and be the bad guy. He knows what buttons to push and when to push them. Habitual line stepper.

The hope is people will pay with hope to see him lose and get his ass kicked. When that day happens, most will celebrate because he's done an absolutely effective job.

Reactions: m9, Rob and LSCII

cobrakaineverdies

May 9, 2019
Iv had a soft spot for Colby ever since he got Fabricio Werdum so mad at him that he hit him with a boomerang in Australia. Hilarious stuff

Reactions: m9

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I've been a big Lawler fan, his fight vs. Rory MacDonald is still one of my favorites of all time but this one was tough to watch.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That's just it: Colby is not meant to be amusing or be the "cool heel" like a Conor or Chael etc.

Even down to him using Kurt Angle's entrance theme cause he knew it would get "YOU SUCK" chants. Chael always said he's the bad guy (and I love Chael P to death), but unlike Chael, Colby actually wants people to hate him and be the bad guy. He knows what buttons to push and when to push them. Habitual line stepper.

The hope is people will pay with hope to see him lose and get his ass kicked. When that day happens, most will celebrate because he's done an absolutely effective job.

I think he's trying to be the "cool heel", but he comes across as the "fool heel"

Reactions: LSCII and tacogeoff

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Very dominant performance, but at no point did I think Lawler was going to get knocked out.

I consider Usman to be more dangerous overall, so I believe he wins that match up again Covington.

I did think it was kind of cool in a heel way to have Trumps sons there. And one them was signalling 5-0. Which it was. I thought Lawler was using the rope-a-dope method, but he never got going. I expected more from him in the later rounds.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He's a trump supporter so he's easy to hate, but yeah, his trash-talking seems a bit forced and cringey.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I can't stand Colby. I like shit talkers, but with Colby it is just so forced, transparently trying to get you to not like him, and not very smooth. It's certainly accomplishing his goal, but it's not the fun shit talking like Chael, pre-Khabib Conor, Rampage, Askren, etc.

In the cage, his output is pretty amazing, but his fights are still boring if you ask me. He's not even pretending to try to finish a fight. He's looking to just grind you out. Effective, but boring.

I can't wait for Usman-Covington to be over. Askren said something like he hopes Covington loses because he doesn't want to have to listen to Usman-Covington try to shit talk each other for 3+ months. That's spot on how I feel. The actual fight could be interesting, but the lead up is going to be painful. The fight could also be extremely boring, so I'd like to just skip to the end.

Reactions: LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Covington in the cage reminds me of how GSP fought after he got the title the second time, which unfortunately can be pretty boring.

Reactions: LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad