GDT: UFC on ESPN: Brunson vs. Holland

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Dude's stock just went down big time. Hopefully he gets his shit together and focuses on fighting.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
What's crazy is I'm pretty sure Holland had a lot more in the gas tank in 4 and 5 then Brunson did. Even in his post fight interview Brunson seemed gassed whereas Holland is running around laughing.

Reactions: CDJ

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Kevin Holland to Derek Brunson the entire fight.
FB_IMG_1616303264162.jpg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also Yanez looks like a violent prospect for 135 so I’m interested in his fight

this was my takeaway from the card- this kid has dynamite in his hands for a 135er. I think he’s a possible future contender

Dawson getting his finish like that was a big statement too

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Lol at Felder breaking down Conejo's tattoos during the fight.

I was able to make out a house of a thousand corpses Capt Spaulding one and a Pennywise one. As a random movie character tattoo connoisseur I approve (I’ve got a white goodman purple cobra where her Spaulding one is)

I’m a fan, I hope she scarfholds everybody into oblivion for the rest of time.

sidenote Brunson is probably one high quality win away from a title shot, which I never thought I’d ever say again

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Very workman like performance from Brunson. Ignored all the talking and just did what he needed to do. Not the most devastating G&P, but it was active enough. He started to gas some, but he's got that wrestler grit and mental toughness to push through. Costa and Cannonier are the only top 5 guys without a fight booked. For Brunson's sake, I hope he gets his shot, but damn, Costa-Cannonier would be a good one, too.

Everyone will focus on Holland's talking. I get it. It's why people love or hate him, but just not a good performance and that has nothing to do with the talking. He was hurting him on the feet, but was way too reckless and way too easy to take down. Then he showed no urgency to get back to his feet and just accepted the position. He's got power and athleticism and is only 28, so maybe he puts some things together, but he's got some work to do.

Reactions: Avs_19 and CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think what was lost in the trash-talking is that Holland probably needs to commit and go to 170lbs full-time. He's just not strong enough to hang with someone like Brunson and his wrestling.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think what was lost in the trash-talking is that Holland probably needs to commit and go to 170lbs full-time. He's just not strong enough to hang with someone like Brunson and his wrestling.
If he can make 170 reasonably comfortably, sure, but I don't think strength was really the problem vs. Brunson. He made it way to easy for Brunson to shoot in on him and he didn't even seem to really be trying to get up. Just poor technique and strategy IMO.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This ended up being a fun guard with some good finishes.

Main event was weird and not very good. Credit to Brunson for playing it smart and getting the job done. They keep putting up and comers against him and he's taking them out. I think it'll probably be tough for him to get a big fight because of his style and lack of big name but he deserves someone above him. He likely won't win that fight but he should get the chance.

I like Holland and think he's fun but he took it too far last night. You have to win or at least really try to win in order to keep doing that. I don't even think he needs to completely cut it out because it's a part of what makes him entertaining, just take it down a notch. What makes it even more frustrating is that he was hurting Brunson in almost every round. I thought Bisping did a great job on the commentary talking about Holland's recklessness and not being smart after he landed his initial shots. For all of the good things you can say about Brunson's toughness and ability to win, he was eating big shots and getting hurt by them. Holland could've finished that fight even with all of the nonsense he was doing and he would be getting talked about as a title contender. Instead, he loses and pissed everyone off in the process.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What's funny is that Holland was just awful from bottom position and showed almost no technique.. other than one of the best escapes from an arm-triangle choke I've seen in awhile. So out of nowhere.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Holland doubling down and playing the "let me be myself" card. Despite the wrestling weakness I felt that he probably should've won that fight with anywhere near the right mentality. I know talking doesn't impact his actual skillset but it definitely preoccupied his mind in a detrimental way, 100% took away from what he could've accomplished there if he was solely focused on getting a win at all costs.

170 would be interesting if he can make that cut. Doesn't look like there's a lot more for him to lose off that frame though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->